open face reel that gets tangles

skinny

I'm not sure if it's line type or the rod reel combo but I have one set up seems to never fail and gets a tangle . it's not old line well not old to me I have bought line and I have gone to a local shop and have tried 2 or 3 different lines .

I canbe out fishing casting away stuf like top frogs and texas worms and next thing you know i have a loop on the reel or I'm casting and I see a loop go out

why is this happening looking for ideas and or sugestions

the rod and reel were new this summer (from ctc) and a known name I will have to get it off the reel

hey skinny....

when i am tossing those particular baits..

I experience that too..especially with my fluorocarbon line... I will only use that for a leader in heavy slop now and tie it to a leader between my braided line. with a very SMALL barrel swivel...

The braided line can get loops in it if I am not paying attention to "how" I am bringing the line back in... ie.. too much slack in it and it gets a bit sloppy.....and the loops will start..

I just watch for any loops now and if i see even the smallest one in the braid, I deal with it immediately and VOILA... no more probs...

I CAN'T say that about the fluorocarbon though :devil:

Hope this helps a bit.

1. How close to the edge of the spool is the line when completely reeled in?, should have about 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch clearance.

2. Do you have access to a boat?, if so, troll away and let all the line out with nothing(not even a swivel attached), after 5-10 minutes of slow trolling the line will unwind itself, then wind it back on using a small soft rag to maintain tension.

3. When fighting a fish, never crank against the drag, all you are doing is rotating the spool on the shaft and adding more twist to the line.

it happens at all different amounts of line on the spool

it has hd a shop put line on the spool and still issues

my older mittchell has had no issues

the loose line on return could be what is going on I will have to watch it

any other sugestion would be good

It could be any or all of the above, and I'll add 2 more possibilities.

1. You might not have enough tension on the line when you first start to reel after your cast. That will cause a loop to form (one that you may not notice until you make your next cast, as you mentioned)

Disclaimer: I have not noticed this personally, but I have read it in a few well respected fishing magazines.

2. Some mono and flouro (and not necessarily the cheap ones) lines "get better with age" for lack of a better term. After a period of use the line lays down better on the reel spool and doesn't act as "springy".

Good luck.

The bail may have got dinged, or bent alittle this may cause the line not to pick-up right. I've been fishing 45 yrs now and still get loops , no big deal. My problem is I always have my index finger on the line when jigging, or drifting and sometimes doing this will create a loop if I don't pay attention.

I often fish with 2, 3 and 4 lb mono and at the end of my line, there is only a small no 10 ou no 8 baited hook. I cast out and leave the bail open while the baited hook very slowly drops to the bottom. I often get a loop or two sticking out of my spool after having reeled in my line. This is because, I should lift my rod tip just as I am closing the bail on my reel so that all the loose line between the reel and the first line guide gets picked up tighter.

Don't worry about it. Everybody gets these small loops. Yes....stiffer lines, larger lines, over filled spool, twisted line, wind, etc will also cause loops on the spool.