Fishing With Swans

JohnF

I know you're all familiar with the big white swans like we have decorating the park area of Stratford, but did you know they're also swimming wild on the Thames? I didn't.

Yesterday evening Rob & I headed out to try a spot we hadn't hit in a while. Those of you who know the Thames north of St.Marys will recognize my description. We came in by the golf course and turned onto the rough track at the sharp turn, got the car parked in the grass and kitted up. There had obviously been some traffic in the area as the grass and plants on the shore were well trampled.

The water was gin clear, an improvement from what we've had lately. Fortunately the river is wide there so we split up each taking one side of the big pool and started casting. Shortly I heard Rob mumble something and I looked up - and there was a pair of huge white swans putting on one of their swan ballets right behind us. They hung around, swimming quite close to us for a while, then chugged past us heading downstream with the occasional stop to dip for whatever swans stick their heads under water for.

They ended up on Rob's side of the river so my casting wasn't hampered, but they were pretty much in Rob's line of fire. He was trying to cast away from them but they were kinda using up the area he really wanted to work. H really was doing his best to work around them with his casts until the wind blew his line right onto the back of the one swan. His cast was nowhere near it but the wind was putting a pretty good belly in any cast not directly downwind.

There ensued a comical race with Rob trying to keep up or gain ground on them as they paddled off. Of course the closer he got the faster they moved away. He was trying his best to see that the swan wearing his line didn't run to the end of the line and get hooked. And the whole time he kept mumbling stuff like "Holy crap, they're big!" and "How the hell do I do this?" His actual words wouldn't get by Robocensor.

Well, they led him a merry chase downriver quite a distance until finally the ensnared swan casually shook off the line, pretty much as if he could have done it any time but was having fun leading Rob around.

Now, those of you who have had no experience with swans may think "So what's the big dea? Just go up to the swan and remove the hook/line/whatever. I've seen pee-ohed swans before and I sure don't wanna be the guy unhooking one. They're big and strong and can do a whole bunch of damage with their wings. They've even been known to use their heads as a club. I really don't want my arm broken, and particularly not by a swan.

So, though the fishing stunk, it was a fairly diverting evening anyway. I sure wish I'd had my camera. I'll take it next tme just in case they're still about.

JF

Interesting John.........i know they are just a bird, but i also try and keep my distance with birds that size. They are an irritable animal them swans.... to say the least. And even though they only come to the ring with webbed feet and toothless beaks..........i still wouldnt want to get into an altercation LOL.

I run into 2 or 3 a year it seems on the streams when steelhead/salmon fishing. Beautiful bird for sure. Never forget one day while fishing in a pretty good snowfall, only one on the water, blanket of snow, the sound kinda muffled and insulated by the snow........you know what i mean.........its an awesome atmosphere, and this pair of white swans came upstream to watch me fish for a bit. I love december steelheading in the snow and that day really sticks out.

That was a pretty entertaining description John! :w00t:

I've hook a few birds in my life, and most a pretty well mannered when you get a hold on them. The biggest birds I've hooked are the big Pelicans you see down in Florida, they love to try to steal your fish off the hook when pier fishing. :rolleyes: The Pelicans aren't too bad to unhook, but a Swan or a Goose might be different. The pair of them may have even "tag-teamed" your buddy... now that would've been something to get on film!!! :lol:

I run into them all the time with longpoint being my home waters there are thousands of them in the spring the closest I have come is sight fishing for pike I came around a small reed point and there were 3 of them and 1 spooked as soon as it saw me and flew right at me I could have touched as it flew over the boat (if I wasn't covering my head on the floor of the boat )these were tundra swans they are massive birds scared the crap out of me I definitely wouldn't wanna wrestle with one to try and remove a hook.

Did you know that in the UK the swans all belong to the Queen. Up until 1998 killing one was an act of treason for which you could be hanged.

Strange but true.

In our Stratford a swan abuser is placed in irons and beaten with truncheons by men in tights and codpieces.

JF

Well written story/report. I remember being tucked in some rocks while fishing and having them fly overhead. They would have been a few feet overhead and i heard the feathers buzzing from vibrations as they quickly flew by.

The average lifespan of these birds is over 70 yrs. Intelligent big birds.

I know of the birds you speak of...

My grandfather ( farmer) was visiting us in Stratford many years ago and a swan decided that we were too close to its cignets and took a swipe at grandpa with his wing...

Grandpa took a swing back with a lawn chair....

the birds took off!....

and yes I know... grandpa was wrong... but he is a farmer and he shows the animals there who is the bosss...

he wasn't used to the "sissified ONTARIO chickens" yet !

lol

Hey John,

There is 3 swans in that area of the Thames River. 2 of them belong to the Town of Mitchell and one belongs to St. Marys. The one St. Marys had is a male (it's mate was killed last year while on a nest) and met up with the two escaped ones from Mitchell on the river and so it turns out that one of the swans is a she/male (i forget the word) and has paired up with the St. Marys swan. I'm not sure where the female one from mitchell went or maybe it is still around. The St. Marys swan over winters in Stratford with the stratford swans in their pen, so it will have to be caught later this year since it has been clipped and can't fly. I dont know what mitchell plans on doing with theirs.

Owning a swan is actually really complicated, there is all sorts of regulations and an actual ownership document for that particular bird.

There is a couple out on Wildwood lake too and i have no idea who they belong to or if they can fly and come and go as they wish.

Hey John,

There is 3 swans in that area of the Thames River. 2 of them belong to the Town of Mitchell and one belongs to St. Marys. The one St. Marys had is a male (it's mate was killed last year while on a nest) and met up with the two escaped ones from Mitchell on the river and so it turns out that one of the swans is a she/male (i forget the word) and has paired up with the St. Marys swan. I'm not sure where the female one from mitchell went or maybe it is still around. The St. Marys swan over winters in Stratford with the stratford swans in their pen, so it will have to be caught later this year since it has been clipped and can't fly. I dont know what mitchell plans on doing with theirs.

Owning a swan is actually really complicated, there is all sorts of regulations and an actual ownership document for that particular bird.

There is a couple out on Wildwood lake too and i have no idea who they belong to or if they can fly and come and go as they wish.

That's the first time we've seen 'em out there. They seemed quite at home. After they left us they stood on the rock shoal down by the bend before the water gets shallow. They were still there at dark as we waded upriver.

I'll be watching for them next time and get pics.

JF

So....other than a swan did you catch anything ?

Just a couple of microbass. I had one worm attack that amounted to nothing. The micros hit a small Rapala floater.

It's just as well I caught nada cuz I was having issues with the new Tracer braid I put on my Shimano spinning reel. I have zero problems with several different kinds of braid on my different Quantum spinning reels but this Tracer/Shimano combo is being a pita. I didn't have these issues with Stren braid on it before. Not sure what moved me to change it except that the Tracer looked cool.

Methinks it's time to replace the Tracer with something - anything else. Might be a good reel for my new float rod, at least until I decide to spring for a centrepin for it.

JF

i had a close call with a swan last week at cooksville creek. a young swan actually grabbed my line and spun around, wrapping the line around its neck. I was pretty much at a loss as to what to do. It was one of three younger swans and the parents were nearby becoming real aggitated. luckily it got itself loose once i gave it a bunch of slack.

Just a couple of microbass. I had one worm attack that amounted to nothing. The micros hit a small Rapala floater.

It's just as well I caught nada cuz I was having issues with the new Tracer braid I put on my Shimano spinning reel. I have zero problems with several different kinds of braid on my different Quantum spinning reels but this Tracer/Shimano combo is being a pita. I didn't have these issues with Stren braid on it before. Not sure what moved me to change it except that the Tracer looked cool.

Methinks it's time to replace the Tracer with something - anything else. Might be a good reel for my new float rod, at least until I decide to spring for a centrepin for it.

JF

If you're fishing shallow like that, you should consider spooling up with a Fluorocarbon line... you might actually catch something! :rolleyes:

If you're fishing shallow like that, you should consider spooling up with a Fluorocarbon line... you might actually catch something! :rolleyes:

When the river bass are willing they'll bite anything. A few nights before only a mile or so upriver I was nailing smallmouths with pink worms on red hooks on a short black leader attached to red braid. Some nights if I'm using stickbaits and crankbaits (which I get impatient with and change a lot) I'll use a crossover clip in deference to my aging eyes in twilight. Being a lazy sod I don't even bother losing the clip when I switch to a finesse hook for plastics and the fish still bite.

Smallmouths either bite or don't bite here. When they bite they bite anything. When they don't, nothing appeals to them.

JF