ADVICE NEEDED: Lake Scugog Walleye

soma56

Hey guys, I need some advice on fishing for Walleye in Lake Scugog. Not so much on how to fish but rather two specific questions:

1. As I'm coming from the central west towards lake Scugog, where would the best place to launch be? I have a 12 foot aluminum boat w/o a trailer so a traditional or otherwise regular boat launch isn't necessary. I've yanked my boat into all sorts of places. I guess 'free' and 'parking' would be ideal.

2. Where are the hot spots for Walleye this time of year? I know they like to remain low and in schools. I've done some research online and some 'experts' claim that the areas around Caesarea and Port Perry are the places to be in the Fall. Is there an area that you guys think I should be focusing on?

As I'll be driving an hour and a half to get there - a heads up/game plan would be nice for the day. Any advice/suggestions/feedback/stories would be appreciated.

Guest skeeter99
Hey guys, I need some advice on fishing for Walleye in Lake Scugog. Not so much on how to fish but rather two specific questions:

1. As I'm coming from the central west towards lake Scugog, where would the best place to launch be? I have a 12 foot aluminum boat w/o a trailer so a traditional or otherwise regular boat launch isn't necessary. I've yanked my boat into all sorts of places. I guess 'free' and 'parking' would be ideal.

2. Where are the hot spots for Walleye this time of year? I know they like to remain low and in schools. I've done some research online and some 'experts' claim that the areas around Caesarea and Port Perry are the places to be in the Fall. Is there an area that you guys think I should be focusing on?

As I'll be driving an hour and a half to get there - a heads up/game plan would be nice for the day. Any advice/suggestions/feedback/stories would be appreciated.

water is down 18 inches and has not really cooled off yet to get the walleye biting

I would suggest either going bass fishing or holding off for a couple of weeks

Thanks for the response skeeter but I think I'll take my chances next weekend.

'Angrypigeon' not too sure what you're talking about when you say 'prepare for destruction or silence '.

Is that it? 130 views and two responses that didn't answer either of my original questions?

Edited by soma56

As skeeter 99 said, water temps are still high so the walleye need a warm weather presentation in hopes of a few fish.

Even with 130 views there really isn't much that can be added to that comment.

As for launches, the fact that you do not need a ramp is not much of an advantage as there is not a lot of public shore access for you to park and launch.

Guest skeeter99

'Angrypigeon' not too sure what you're talking about when you say 'prepare for destruction or silence '.

Is that it? 130 views and two responses that didn't answer either of my original questions?

well your "experts" are a litle off

it aint fall yet so port perry and ceasarea and not going yet way way way too early, fall fishing on the bog is thanksgiving till close

so you want access points!!! really way to many that i know on this lake

port perry $

west shore marine $

riverview rd(nonquon) free

chickadee court(north end) free

port hope road(north end) free

crown land top of scugog island free

cottage road(washburn) free

Bowens road(washburn) free

ceasarea government dock free

cedar grove drive(ceasarea) free

scugog island marine $

goreski's $

stephenson point road(the culvert) free

spring road (pay off tow truck driver)

portview road(right at the bend) free

does this answer your questions?

Edited by skeeter99

Guest skeeter99

IS THAT IT 200 VIEWS NOW!!!!!!!

Edited by skeeter99

wow - that's going to slow down the helpful responses i would think.....

That's a bit better. I can appreciate the fact that the timing/season/weather may not be perfect but I still would like to get out there and see what I can see. Thanks for everyone's response, especially skeeter on the list of marinas/launch spots (very cool). As far as everyone else complaining that I'm complaining - I don't know what to tell you. It's a forum. Yes I'm new. We exchange ideas, thoughts, experiences and stories surrounding the main purpose of the site. I guess I was expecting a more in depth and educational reply then that of the initial two. I'm satisfied now.

I'll tell you what, I'll post my results here next week either way hopefully with pictures of deep fried walleye.

You shout a lot for someone new to the board and asking members for info.

I don't think shouting or being rude in any capacity or that by any so-called 'forum' seniority (by any amount) of posts is justified. I didn't shout nor was I rude. I just made point. And it worked in getting some attention and some feedback to initial questions. We're all here for a common purpose and interest. Mine right now is having a game plan for Sunday in lake Scugog and Walleye. How about you?

Wow, 460 Views! LMAO

good answer.

i fished scugog right after the big storms in august and it was a mess. 'locals' told me fishing was tough. only walleye i caught were in 6 feet of weeds, accidentals caught while panfishing with little nephew. serious walleye anglers were jigging the deep channels (9feet) with natural and atificials baits. lots of trollers, worm harnesses mostly. best bet a map - notice a deep stretch outside ceaserea and along the east arm to the river. fish transitions between weed beds. marked lots of fish in 14'. launch for free in ceaserea not alot of parking, take pier street. best advice - talk to and buy somethig from the causeway bait shop - great guy!!! i have also caught walleyes in the shallows a 5 am , up real shallow (4ft) feeding in the am. i was gonna pass this on the other day til you beaked off. good luck, i found scugog a real tough lake. dont be too concerned about the depth finder telling you 5 feet, only serious hazard is on the east shoreline north of ceaserea, marked by yellow barrels. shoreline weeds and slop looks great but produced little.

Edited by smally21

The Causeway Bait and Tackle shop sells maps with hotspots marked on them, and will usually give you the heads up on where the bite's been hot.

And most of the "views" that you see are adbots searching for keywords. But you certainly made for an interesting intro :lol:

Thanks man. I found some great maps of Scugog. Perhaps I'll post them online in a new thread - unless they're already here or there's an appropriate spot for them. Having a look at them it seems the western side between two marina's looks like a pretty good spot. Anyways, going to hit it tomorrow. Port Perry is calling for rain all day but only 1mm, 10km/hour winds and up to 19 degrees by the afternoon.

It will be a little rough but worth it if I catch something. I've heard that live bait is the way to go. But then again I've also heard that people that use live bait swear by it. And apparently there's muskie's in there too! With no Pike in that lake that's good news for them.

Edited by soma56