Scotty rod holder....need help

Dabluz

I have one of those Scotty rod holders that does not lock the rod into place. It's the tube type with an open end and a small plastic crossbar at the other end.

I'm always very nervous about using the rod holder when trolling for fish. I'm worried that a fish will yank the rod out of the holder.

Has anyone lost a rod with this type of holder?

Should I remove the small plastic crossbar so that I can place the handle of my rod further into the holder?

Anyone found a practical method of locking a rod into the rod holder...(rubber strap, locking device etc.)?

The way I am using the rod holder now is by angling the rod a bit forward and the rod tip quite high above the surface of the water.

Should I remove the small plastic crossbar so that I can place the handle of my rod further into the holder?

Anyone found a practical method of locking a rod into the rod holder...(rubber strap, locking device etc.)?

The way I am using the rod holder now is by angling the rod a bit forward and the rod tip quite high above the surface of the water.

Removing the gimble pin might allow the rod to sit a little deeper.

If you're really nervous about, pick up some high lb test leaders and use it as a lanyard connecting the rod to the boat.

The way you are using it now, I don't think any fish or snag would pull the rod out.

I like the Downeasters myself. No chance for a fish pulling the rod out. But even with the Scotty, it shouldn't happen. The more a fish pulls the greater the pressure, so as long as the handle is deep enough, you should be good. Some rod holders make it very hard to get the rod out...which is why the Downeasters are great...pop it up and rod is out. If you are flatlining you can run the rod tip in the water...I like this.. a trick I learned from Adam... it keeps surface weeds from running down the line and fouling the lure.

Keep the Scotty, stick the downeaster where the sun doesn't shine, there's nothing wrong with the one you have, I've used them for over 20 years with no problems.

These are exacly what they are called holders not for trolling, you have never used a down easter this is why your saying this, if you are, your trolling to the sky with your rod tips straight in the air, again these open face scottys are not made for trolling there made to hold your rods thats it.

Paul

Thanks for the response. Cocaine!!.....not a bad idea but I don't know any users.

From what I have read, no one has lost a rod.

I won my rod holder (along with a bunch of other stuff) in a contest. I used to always hold my rod when trolling and I still do like to give extra action to my lures when trolling even though trolling is not my favourite technique. But now that I can just sit, control the electric motor, munch snacks and smoke....trolling is a bit nicer now.

I think that I will just remove the plastic crossbar so the rod will sit deeper in the holder.

If I ever do end up trolling a lot, I will buy a rod holder that locks the rod in place.

These are exacly what they are called holders not for trolling, you have never used a down easter this is why your saying this, if you are, your trolling to the sky with your rod tips straight in the air, again these open face scottys are not made for trolling there made to hold your rods thats it.

Paul

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you gave me a nickle for every mile I've trolled with them, small species and salmon/rainbow, then I would have a healthy slush fund to buy minnows and worms. I use the open tube type Scotties.

I've seen Scotty's crack & fall apart when they get abused, but they're fine for small fish.

Been using these this season and lub dem, they still flex a touch trolling Dipsy's for Kings but lightyears ahead of Scotty's. Best plastic rod holder out there, but still not quite as strong as Downeasters.

http://www.folbe.com/

I've seen Scotty's crack & fall apart when they get abused, but they're fine for small fish.

Been using these this season and lub dem, they still flex a touch trolling Dipsy's for Kings but lightyears ahead of Scotty's. Best plastic rod holder out there, but still not quite as strong as Downeasters.

http://www.folbe.com/

Folbe is clearly a knockoff of scotty product just made is the US.

scotty makes many different types of holders that when used for there intended purpose will never crack or fall apart. The ones they show in the folby video look and work exactly like scottys orca rod holders.

Scotty strikers are much better then downeasters. they are just as strong, look better and dont damage your reels.

to each his own. I like my berts and my scottys

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you gave me a nickle for every mile I've trolled with them, small species and salmon/rainbow, then I would have a healthy slush fund to buy minnows and worms. I use the open tube type Scotties.

Im not going to get into a pissing match of witch is better, but I can bet your scotty wouldnt last long what I pull around, I have them in my boat for one reason only an thats to hold the rod, thats it. I would strip the crap out of that scotty for sure, the holder is not made for trolling. I have blown up many saltys let alone a plastic scotty. Use what you want Im givening you my .02 cents for what its worth.

Paul