Essential, NonTackle Kit for fishing

hoot33

First aid kit. One is always in the car, smaller ones in every tackle bag. Dollar store has nice little ones in white plastic boxes. I brrf them up a little by adding a few heavier bandaids and a couple of coloured pretty ones for little kids. CTC has a real nice red one made out of red nylon and closes with velcro for $9. It's a little larger than the Dollar store ones but has better stuff in it. I amazes me how many times a year I'll hand out a bandaid or two for a minor cut to another fisherman.

Fingernail clipper(that might qualify as fishing tackle) and a sharp pocket knife.

A garbage bag or two to pick up some litter ("leave it better than you found it"--my dad)

If the kids are with me (8 and 10 year olds), each gets a whistle-"blow in case of an emergency", when we do shore fishing.

muddler

One of my first posts to this board was on this very subject, and I received all sorts of great advice.

What I have found to be the most handy are snacks and drinks (which is a whole thread unto itself). Also, electrical tape and a multi-tool (in case you run into someone with a Lund that needs a hand).

And as dopey as they look, you have got to get yourself a hat light.

Jim

im happy to say i can now go fishig without bringing anything, because its all shoehorned into the boat. raingear a must - the hatlight is a great call. maps charts or gps points i want to try. various beverages but always water, pays to drink lots. never eat when im fishig but i always bring granola bar type stuff. you know whats great at night - glow sticks, bugs leave em alone and they provide just enough light. big brimmed hat to reduce rednecking. binocs are always on the boat. towels, rags, shamwow, anything to wipe off your hands 1 per guy. a lighter that works and a coupla captain blacks is good.

there is toilet paper in a ziploc bag if you run into trouble as well.

If the kids are with me (8 and 10 year olds), each gets a whistle-"blow in case of an emergency", when we do shore fishing.

muddler

I like that, when I'm canoeing I always have a whistle on me. You should also tell them that 3 blows is the international sign of distress.

Edited by crankbait

Lately when I've been going out on the boat i've tried to bring the following items every time, both as tools for fishing and for safety/personal.... water, pliers, bolt cutters, jaw spreaders,AIR HORN, flashlight, bandaids, and matches/lighter.

I really like the air horn!!! It can be heard from miles away on the water incase of emergency... and you should see the Bass tourney guys poop their pants when I sneak up behind them and give them a good blast!!! :w00t: ... just wanted you to know I was in the vicinity!!! :P

Edited by GCD

I like that, when I'm canoeing I always have a whistle on me. You should also tell them that 3 blows is the international sign of distress.

learn something new everyday....i thought all the whistles on my boat were for waking up sleeping people...or having a whistle jam session out on the water...

who knew :dunno:

Because I'm often wading in creeks with unstable bottoms just inviting a fall, and a dunking, I carry a small plastic waterproof case (w/o-ring) just big enuf for a few bandaids, a small plastic lighter, my Outdoor Card and the (expensive) microchipped car key for whichever vehicle I used to get to the creek.

Check the price to replace your own car's security chip embedded key if you think I'm being overly cautious.

JF

Check the price to replace your own car's security chip embedded key if you think I'm being overly cautious.

JF

We lost the key to one of our work trucks and our boss was not pleased so I know what your talking about.

Scissors, needle nose pliers and my Camera are essentials for me.

Except for the hottest parts of the summer I always have a proper rain jacket with me when I'm fishin', however I also carry a couple of those cheap (<$5) plastic rain ponchos. I've only needed it once, but it saved a cold wet spring fishing trip for someone in our group who had forgot to pack his rain gear.

I don't care where you fish, how often you've been there or how good you think GPS is, get a good compass and learn how to use it.

Toilet paper, nuff said!!!

LOL, learned that one earlier this summer :huh: , lucky I had alergies so I had brought some kleenex :) (just not quite the same though).

Don't think anyone's said it but a Camera is an absolute...without it there just "fishing stories".