Trailer Lights Blowing Fuses

Uncle Buck

no if the short was on the plug on the vehicle it would blow a fuse when the trailer is not hooked up most likely...very small chance

but it is a short some where

you can spend a heck of a long time finding it

but if you think it's left follow the yellow wire and the left light

but replacing everything is faster

blowing fuses in my experience is almost always pinched wires. check the wires where they enter and leave the trailer and around the mounting points (screws, rivets) to make sure nothing is pinched or grounding to the frame - this is assuming they did work before. if not you may have wired in a short. leaving your lights plugged in does not blow fuses, not sure where this idea comes from. always quicker to replace than trouble shoot, but could be something simple!

leaving your lights plugged in does not blow fuses, not sure where this idea comes from.

That's right!... if you have the proper submersible sealed unit tail lights, you don't have to unplug before launching!

I think some folks may "cheap out" and just buy the regular unsealed trailer lights... and that's where the "unplug" comes from!

Goran

if you're gonna replace buy LED. Princess auto has deals almost monthly on LED submersibles. Ever since I replaced mine never had any problems. Oh and buy the way I'd say you've got a grounding problem somewhere. They're like needles in haystacks

Hey Goran,

Since its only blowing when the light gets wet it is likely due to a bad seal on the light bezel. The wiring is probably fine. Unplugging the lights is fine, but the problem is that the bezel fills with water and doesn't completely drain before you plug the lights back in. It may not blow immediately. Sometimes, water sits at a level below the blub and doesn't short out the socket until you turn a corner or hit a bump etc.

I'd replace both bezels as mentioned. Solder the new connections and use waterproof shrink tubing on the wires. Actually, I'd replace the whole thing from the 4 wire plug on back.