Drop Shot Weights?

oates

Been using the snap on, swivel drop shot weights - nice and easy to put on, I know they may give better action but I lose about 1 every 30 mins as they get caught on rocks or between stones and have no pull since they arn't tied on. Was going to buy more today, what do you guys think, go with the traditional tie on ones or stick with the snap on swivel?

I'm using 1/4 oz even though the water is only 2-4 ft, due to the current, I used to use 1/8 oz but it would slowly slide down stream, maybe I should try 3/16 oz

maybe not enough action too much weight!

At any rate, isn't this clear weather great!

Try Lindy Snag free sinkers in current.

Garnet

he is definitely talking about drop shot weights...

if you're fishing in a lot of snags try the tie on weights, they may not come off as easily (as you've suggested)... i've never really tried drop shotting in a lot of current or snags for that matter, but it can't hurt to try the tie on method...

When I use to fish the "Fish Market" on the Niagara River (heavy current) using jigs I found that using a heavier jig and fishing it more vertical resulted in LESS snags and more fish. This gave me the chance to lift the snagged jig from out of the rocks where it was wedged in. How this helps you.

Bob

I've been using the snap and swivel ones on the upper niagara all summer and I only lost a handfull. Like Billy Bob said vertical is best, but it sounds to me like your fishing them offshore in a stream. If I'm correct then I would go with the tie on ones. These are the ones I use.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageBWTT-BWFDSW.html

Edited by Alumacraft

don't put a swivel on the weight. Drop shot = lost weights. Might as well just lose weights instead of weights and swivels. If I am drop shotting all day and have to worry about line twist, I will sometimes put a small swivel (without snap) about 15.35" above my hook.

This is the wieght I use for drop shotting. The quick snap, does swivel in the lead.

20090904_01_01.jpg

Line twists are going to happen.

What I do to get rid of the twist is,Remove all hardware from the line,open the bail and tlet the line spool off while the boat is moving. About 50 yards or so.After about 5 minutes I just reel the line back in,attach everything again and good to go.

I have tried a small barrel swivel up from the drop bait,didnt help.

I always use the actual drop shot weights. The the main reason why it was developed is for you to control the length of line you have between your weight and hook. Sometimes when you drop shot your in a heavier weed line then other area's. So it's easy to move the weight up or down your line. I usually have about 2 ft of line from the hook to the end of the line this way i can control how high or low i want the bait to sit

The weight that misfish posted is good, and will snag a lot less if you bend it into a curve like a Lindy snag-free weight.

If you want cheap dropshot weights (yes, dropshot does = lost weights) you can make your own very easily. Bulk pencil weight cut to the desired length, with a short section of heat-shrink tubing on the end for a tie-in. Use a small swivel if line-twist is an issue.