May Long Weekend

Mike the Pike

I was up there last July and the walleye fishing was good our host said it was slow in the summer but I thought we did good jiggin in the morning and trolling in the evening. I used a large rapala original floater (9 inch version) in a gold pattern and the walleye loved it (canibals !!!)

here is what you can expect

63730008.jpg

63730018.jpg

Mike, I'm pretty sure Spiel's been to Kipawa a few times and been quite successful with pickeral.

Hopefully he'll see your post and jump in.

I spent a week about 30 - 40 miles east of there 9 years ago. We caught alot of pickeral, but they were all small with a bluish tinge to them.

Awful purdy country though, good luck on your trip.

We were there for the May long weekend about 10 years ago.

Considering it was our first time on the lake, we did well with a bunch of chunky walleye 2-3 lb.,

some sweet lakers in the 3-5 lb. range and one surprise 10+ pound pike that hit a walleye spinner.

We also nailed a couple of big lakers that weren't happy about being hooked and had no intention of seeing a landing net.

We never got them to the boat. I love catching lakers. Those big tails aren't just for looking pretty.

Lots of bulldog style power in those fish.

Some other guests at the camp were only after pike and nailed some 14-16 pounders with

a couple of bigger fish getting off the hook or just followed baits without striking.

Kippawa is a huge, deep lake with lots of bays and islands and holds huge fish.

Easy to get lost, so get a map and mark your location as you go.

All lakers were caught trolling various small to midsize spoons, bombers and rapalas.

Some flatlining and some off the downriggers. They were all over from 10ft. to 100ft. of water and hitting

from just under the surface to 90ft. down.

All walleye were caught on a hook and worm under a balsa wood float at dusk and dawn in a nearby bay

with a small channel entrance that provided a slight current.

Lots of people get them jigging with worms, minnows and plastics near current areas.

The pike was caught on a small mepps spinner tipped with a worm at mid day with the sun beating down on us.

I guess he was on the prowl for a walleye lunch too.

Hope this info helps.

Don't forget the camera.

Good luck.

Was up there in early July 4 years ago and did great with lakers. Lots with a dead bait on the bottom, a few close to 10lbs Could not seem to boat a keeper walleye for the life of me although I know they are in there. One group at our camp brought back a 44" pike The 3rd biggest I've ever seen in my life.

jjcanoe

I used to vist Kipawa and the surrounding lakes every year from he age of 5 or so, with my last trip being 4 yrs ago. The main lake used to be a fantastic walleye lake and laker lake, with the average eye being in the 3-4 lb now from native overharvest its getting tougher.

If I can suggest I would go to one of the back road camps on another body of water, there is a lake in the bush that will produce you a limit of blue walleye in ohhh 15 minutes and the average there would be in the 3-4 range. If you want a recomdation to a lodge owner who Im friendly with and has a great place PM me for the info.

Havent thought about Kipawa for a bit thanks for jogging my memory

You guys are great always there when someone needs some information .This is why I like the OFC so much.I am thinking about staying at a place called 3 season camp they have new owners who I met at the Montreal outfitter show.What I like about this outfitter is that his camp is a 8 mile boat ride from the main road.Yes a secluded place.Thanks again MTP :Gonefishing:

You guys are great always there when someone needs some information .This is why I like the OFC so much.I am thinking about staying at a place called 3 season camp they have new owners who I met at the Montreal outfitter show.What I like about this outfitter is that his camp is a 8 mile boat ride from the main road.Yes a secluded place.Thanks again MTP :Gonefishing:

hey mike

when did you go to the outfitter show? i was there thursday when it opened. it was pretty good. il be going to the hunting and fishing show sometime this weekend. for the long weekend in may just be prepared ,last year i was up in the reserve la verendry area that weekend one day it was 20 degrees the next morning we woke up to 4 inches of fresh white snow lol good luck with your search

....I have indeed fished Kipawa (good memory Lew), it has been a number of years though (to many!).

I spent many years going with a group of 12 from work Mike through the 80's. We always went the first full week of June and typically enjoyed good fishing for lakers and walleyes. Trolling and casting slim crankbaits and spoons worked well for trout and casting deep cranks and jigs generally worked well for the walleye. The trout usually averaged out around a few pounds with the occassional big'n and the walleye often ran into the 6 plus range with plenty of them being vividly blue. As mentioned it's a big lake and easy to get lost. If you're interested Mike I have topo maps of the entire sysytem and would be happy to lend them to you.

If you're not aware there is a Lake Kipawa message forum located here.

PM me about the maps.