Musky bucktail casting reel?

danbo

Danbo,

I don't personally have a Record but I do have a couple of ABU's kickin around,6500 and a 7000...From what I can see from the reveiw link the Record has the clicker button on the top left side of the reel and I have a problem with that. My 6500 clicker is in the same position and I find I end up engaging the clicker when casting,not always but when it happens it doesn't sound like its doing alot of good for the reel....On my 7000 the clicker is on the side of the reel and out of the way which makes it alot more user freindly for myself .....

Never used one myself Dan, but I remember reading one of the American musky boards a year or so back, where some members were discussing the Record, and nobody that had one, was too impressed with them.

Seemed like they lost their smoothness very quickly.

If you buy a Calcutta, you'll be more than happy.....guaranteed !!

Hey Dan, if your lookin for a nice musky reel at at good price, have a look at the Maina reel sold at BPS.

I've used one on my boo-tail rod for 2 years now and am very happy with it.

It comes in 2 different speeds...4.1-1 or 5.1-1 but only in right hand crank.

You could even buy the rod / reel combo which is good. I bought my daughter one last year and it's an excellent setup and only about $200 total.

I have the Quantum Cabo PT cbc31pts that I use for musky, it has a low profile and is very smooth and won't break the bank. One booth at the show had them for $219 taxes included. It also comes in a left hand model.

Edited by mikeh

I don't know I have been using Garcias since they came out and have never had a major problem with one of them. I wore a Calcutta out in one season, so go figure. I'm going to try a Record this year. I have a Garcia Morum that I really like better for feel than I did the Calcutta. I think it depends on the person using it. I have over the years used most brands and I still go back to Abu's My $2 dollars and 2 cents worth. LOL.

Edited by Robert Brunner Sr

Hmmmmmm..looks like I better pony-up for a Luna or Calcutta instead! Thanx WFN
I have herd a lot of guys say the Luna is the best reel out, and cheaper than the Calcutta, I was thinking of getting one.

Take a look at the new Okuma Induron, I saw it yesterday at the show and was impressed. You can buy 2 of them for the price of a Calcutta.

I used a Induron 400 last year for the whole season, it gave me no problems, but it doesn't seem to well built, lots of plastic pieces, my abus feel better for around the same price, only time will tell, I will see how long it lasts.

One of the Abu Garcia 6500s that has been around for a number of years but seems to get little notice is the Trophy series. They have the bearing set of a C4 but the gearing of a C3. I have used one for the past two years exclusively for bucktails and love it. Much smoother than a C3 and they come with a power handle. If you look around, there are deals.

Bill