Couple of Senko Questions

ironstone74

I have only fished with Senkos once and didn't have any luck. I was rigging them wacky stlye with a Gama hook and snagged 3 times and had to break off each time. So my first question can you rig Senkos weedless wacky style ???? If so what size and stlyle hook?

I river fish for Smallmouth most often and I am going to try Senkos in my spots in the Grand here in Kitchener. Has anyone had any luck using Senkos in rivers and how did you rig them up?

Got this one this morning

2002_0204Bass090010.jpg

First bucket mouth from a couple of weeks back

2002_0204Bass090007.jpg

Thanks for any feedback

Paul

The thing to take into account when using senko's in the river is the current. You will not get the same action on them as you do in still water. That being said they can still work, though i've never cleaned up on them. You will need to add some type of weight if fishing deeper moving water.

i fish the grand with 4" white senkos rigged texposed (texas style basically) and I twitch them as they swing cross-current - works like a charm. In my boat o lakes, I fish smallies the same way but I dead-stick darker colours for largemouth. You can buy weedless wacky hooks from Gamakatzu and they work great.

There was a great article in a magazine about river fishing with senkos. Use a 3 way swivel. Bell weight to the bottom about 1 ft below swivel and off open ring run a senko about 20" of leader rigged however you like (probably texas). Always wanted to try it but never fish rivers.

The Berkley package says the hook is supposed to be completely hidden in worm...thus making it weedless.

You can stick the point back in if you want it to be completely weedless, but in my experience the rig shown is about 95% weedless and has an excellent hooking percentage.

These are the hooks I use, and they work really well. The weed guard is a very fine wire, and I haven't had any problems with hook-ups. There is another version out there by a different manufacturer, where the weed guard is made of nylon, and it doesn't get bent out of shape like the wire one in the picture.

FL_KHooksRed.jpg

The Berkley package says the hook is supposed to be completely hidden in worm...thus making it weedless.

when I have it rigged, the tip is hidden in the channel in the bait. you know, that missing part for the hook to sit in. I also push the tip over the top of the hook so its on my line and hook head. no problems with weeds for me that way.