Advice for Fishing with Tubes

Wendel

I keep reading about how fantastic dragging tubes can be for bass.

Unfortunately for me, I'm not really experienced this.

What's your best/most productive way to fish these baits for bass? I've tried jigging them, I've tried barely touching them at all, but haven't really had the success I think I should have with them.

Any suggestions or tips for me?

I tried it for my first time yesterday with a buddy.... He is a master at draggin tubes, been doing it for years. We caught 23 SMB in about 3 hours. That was a "slow" night I'm told.

Any ways.... the way we did it was as follows..... Tie snap swivel to main line...Then make your leader... we were using about 3 ft... but it can vary in different conditions. I tied a swivel onto some floro then tied my hook to that. We did it like this because its an easy way to alter weights for the conditions your out in..... We would attach a bell sinker or similar type to the snap swivel, then attached the leader also. It was good because yesterday was so choppy out that we took a while to dial in the proper weight. Beats re-tieing all the time right ?

We dropped it next to the boat pretty well, let it go right to the bottom thenlet out any where from 10yrds-20yrds on line. then just drifted with it. Keeping in touch with the bottom at all times.....

Best rod for the job Im told is a medium-medium light.... 6'6-7-6 .... spinning gear also.... Try to go as light of tackle as possible !

I'm no expert on this matter but think drifting in a boat and dragging it on the bottom will yield results.... just got to locate drop offs and structure.

Leechman

I just throw it out and watch my line. Once on the bottom, just snap ur rod up a few times and reel in...then let it fall.

I like both of these responses. I have caught them both ways mentioned above.

It is also fun to anchor off a rock point and cast onto shore then pull it in and do the cray fish thing.

Watch how a tube reacts when you twitch it different ways and you will quickly see why they are so effective.

You've got it rigged correctly, yes? Tube jig hooks are specific and need to be rigged by putting the weighted end of the hook (weight at the eye) into the body of the tube, then popping the eye of the tube through the body, then tied on. The hook comes around through the skirt and back toward the head of the jig. (lots of video on the net).

Jacques is correct about the structure and the covering of water. If there is no drift, use the electric to slowly cover water.

It has to work, there is bugger all to stop it.

Jim

You almost can't fish a tube "wrong". Just try different things and let the fish tell you what they want. Just pay attention and remember exactly what you were doing when you get a bite. The angle of your cast, is as important as, what action you were giving the tube. I went to a seminar once and the pro explained that when the bite was slow, he would drag the jig as if trying to draw as little attention to it as possible. He called it sneaking the tube back to the boat.

A friend of mine caught a musky on a tube jig yesterday in Pigeon lake. No one sneaks a tube like this guy. I'll post the pic here when he sends it to me.

Edited by jediangler

I fish tubes Texas rigged with a 1/4 or 1/8 ounce bullet depending on conditions and a 3/0 4/0 hook.

Can't go wrong.

I've caught bass on tubes with ever retrieve imaginable.

You really can't fish them wrong

with all the fishing Ive done I can honestly say Ive never fished a tube, Im a sucker or "old faitful" for me thats a top water frog or popper, when water gets choppy I try new things, maybe Ill pick some tubes up this weekend.

What tubes does everyone recommend? what have you worked effectively in the past?

with all the fishing Ive done I can honestly say Ive never fished a tube, Im a sucker or "old faitful" for me thats a top water frog or popper, when water gets choppy I try new things, maybe Ill pick some tubes up this weekend.

What tubes does everyone recommend? what have you worked effectively in the past?

The best ones for me recently have been Mizmo and the Bass Pro brand. I only fished the Mizmo ones because the tackle shop I was at didn't ahve the bass pro.

I'm sure tournament anglers might say different, but I find most the same.

My favorite color is grey with black and silver flake. (or something close to that)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
We dropped it next to the boat pretty well, let it go right to the bottom thenlet out any where from 10yrds-20yrds on line. then just drifted with it. Keeping in touch with the bottom at all times.....

Recently i was shown this for drifting in general, and i think it's very important. i was told (and admitted to doing it) that anglers have a tendency to use too little weight and too much line out for drifting...Keep it in tight where you can manage the action of the bait and feel the subtlest of hits.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Any ways.... the way we did it was as follows..... Tie snap swivel to main line...Then make your leader... we were using about 3 ft... but it can vary in different conditions. I tied a swivel onto some floro then tied my hook to that. We did it like this because its an easy way to alter weights for the conditions your out in..... We would attach a bell sinker or similar type to the snap swivel, then attached the leader also. It was good because yesterday was so choppy out that we took a while to dial in the proper weight. Beats re-tieing all the time right ?

I like this. I have never tried like this. Am I to assume that you do not therefore use a lead jig head inside the tube. do you use a 3/0 or 4/0 worm hook or something different?

I use mostly the ones that YUM makes. In any colour that emulates a crayfish or minnow (crayfish mostly) so that is your greens/browns or watermelon. I also recently bought a "bleeding tube" from Strike King and liked it.

Jim

I like this. I have never tried like this. Am I to assume that you do not therefore use a lead jig head inside the tube. do you use a 3/0 or 4/0 worm hook or something different?

No jig head in the tube.... I used a 2/0 worm hook to rig it weedless and I also used a straight shank worm hook, Im not sure the size because they were just ones I had in my box from last year hahah but I would say play with different sizes of hooks. Some tubes are a little fatter than others, so the hook that worked for one, might not work for the next ya know ???

Like I said, we caught our limit of fish in about 2 hours... then culled for the next hour or so( I love livewells !!!)... it was a great night !

Phenix 2 1/2 inch smoke colored salted tube...1/16th or 1/8th Fin-S jig inside...

First time I ever used them I caught four 5lb smallies and one 4 pounder...casting out and swimming them back to the boat...I was convinced and now they are my favorite go-to bait...

Swim them...drag them...hop them...or even use them under a slip float...bass think they are candy... :lol:

A trick for the "tube" anglers.

Stuff a small piece of "sponge" in your tube. Hold it upside down and pinch it, then drip your scent into the tube and let it soak in.

For texas riggin reg. 3" tubes - 2/0 or 3/0 widegap hooks are ideal.

Edited by Harrison

Im my limited time fishing, I have found that if bass arn't attacking topwater, try tubes to gain bottom contact and vice versa.

Rarely get them to hit both at the same time. Caught bigger bass on tubes than any crankbait that's for sure