What do you think of this trolling motor?

fishinguypat

i have a 15 foot boat and i want a trolling motor for the rear (back) do you think this one from canadian tire is ok?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...ing%2BMotor.jsp

-- i don't go fishing that often (4-6 times a year with boat) but i need a trolling motor that will do the job right thanks, -Fishinguypat

i have a 15 foot boat and i want a trolling motor for the rear (back) do you think this one from canadian tire is ok?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...ing%2BMotor.jsp

-- i don't go fishing that often (4-6 times a year with boat) but i need a trolling motor that will do the job right thanks, -Fishinguypat

Pat, go to Angling Outfitters just donw the road in Woodstock! Jocelyn has refurbished motors at a great price.

Go with the 50lb Minnkota Maxxum $249 refurbished. It has the maximizer, battery meter and tilt handle.

If that is too pricey he has tons of Minnkota Enduras for probably $100 or less and 50lbs or so.

Give them a call first to see what they have, prices could be lower.

Edited by scugog

If you want to do the job right, go with a bow mount. It gives you better boat control, but is more expensive. I would recommend nothing less than a 50lb for that size boat. I have a 14.5' with a 36lb thrust and it really has to work to get it moving, especially in a current. When I upgrade it will be a 55lb thrust. Whatever you decide on make sure it has maximizer technology.

If you want to do the job right, go with a bow mount. It gives you better boat control, but is more expensive. I would recommend nothing less than a 50lb for that size boat. I have a 14.5' with a 36lb thrust and it really has to work to get it moving, especially in a current. When I upgrade it will be a 55lb thrust. Whatever you decide on make sure it has maximizer technology.

Well said. If you can go bow mount do it! I use a 70lb bowmount on my 14ft aluminum and never have to worry about any wind or current PLUS it will work on a bigger boat as well. I had a 40lb bowmount on it and took it back 2 days later. And I have a light boat.

I have a 36lb Minni mounted to the stern of my 14' aluminum. It pushes it along pretty good. It would be nice to have some more juice though.

I got the motor for 1/2 price, then bought the biggest batery I could find. It runs for a long time without needing a charge. That about the only good thing about it!

I would definitly pass on the motor you've shown above. You'll just end up wanting to upgrade after a few times out on the water.

My14' boat came with the exact motor on it when I bought it. If possible get a bow mount these are in the way if you have a tiller and dont seem to have very much power. I take mine off and leave it on the floor of my boat most of the time where it is out of the way.