Question about conservation areas in general

Lunatic

I remember years ago when you purchased entry or a day pass into a conservation area for fishing or hiking or whatever you do there, that the pass was good for the day in any conservation area within that region. ie: halton.

my question is, if i were to buy a day pass to get into say mountsberg, would i be able to leave and use that same pass in kelso? (both halton)

another question, has anyone fished the hilton falls reservoir? the website says no floatation devices aloud so i imagine it must be a fairly small lake?

i wouldnt mind giving it a shot from shore,if i can pack up and re-use the pass down the road at mountsberg.

We already pay to fish. As for camping?????? Squaters rights.

isnt that great? you pay for a fishing license and sportsmans card, and if you want to fish a conservation area for a few hours you get to pay again! :rolleyes:

isnt that great? you pay for a fishing license and sportsmans card, and if you want to fish a conservation area for a few hours you get to pay again! :rolleyes:

I guess thats the way it goes, pay and pay and pay some more. Lots of places to fish with out having to pay the entry fee, do some exploring. As for squaters rights like misfish said, thats starting to disappear too!!!!!

if i were to buy a day pass to get into say mountsberg, would i be able to leave and use that same pass in kelso? (both halton)

If you want to fish Mountsberg it goes on a trust basis. You park near the reservoir, and are expected to fill out a paper which states your license plate. This little paper is dropped into a deposit box and your are expected to pay 10$. They do check the deposit box.

They would never be able to cover the costs of employing people at the conservation areas if you didn't have to pay admission.

They would never be able to cover the costs of employing people at the conservation areas if you didn't have to pay admission.

sure they could...they could just lay more charges for no skin on fish fillets

sure they could...they could just lay more charges for no skin on fish fillets

Pretty sure they would require MNR or Police officers to do that, which means the government would be paying the staff at the conservation areas and plus require an authorized individual to check for skin on fish fillets. Most people take the fish home and clean it anyway. Regardless, they would make more money charging entrance fee's. I don't know about the soo, but conservation areas in my neck of the woods get pretty busy especially on the weekends.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Pretty sure they would require MNR or Police officers to do that, which means the government would be paying the staff at the conservation areas and plus require an authorized individual to check for skin on fish fillets. Most people take the fish home and clean it anyway. Regardless, they would make more money charging entrance fee's. I don't know about the soo, but conservation areas in my neck of the woods get pretty busy especially on the weekends.

I was just being like that...we get charged for everything.

I think the fees are to keep people away, sorta to avoid over crowding.

We don't have conservation areas in the sault...just crown land. But you gotta pay to go for a walk in Lake Superior Provincial park which I think is a crock

ya, i used to live in southern ontario and i walked the conservation areas all the time, and on weekends at some places they were crowded but i never really got the enjoyment out of some because of how close to roads you were... if i go take a walk in the bush i don't particularly wanna hear vehicles.

and dara, you forgot about fort creek lol

When I started fishing last year, I didn't know where to go so I looked up conservation areas for Southern Ontario, I was expecting good things, I have fished shade's mill, brant park convseration area, Conestoga Lake and a bunch of others many times - my experience? The fishing is pretty crappy (and I don't mean the fish), they hype it up in their booklets about the fishing but you will find that fishing is better elsewhere, sometimes following the road a few kms down from a conservation area is more productive than in the conservation area.

The conservation areas are not there just for fishing. There are a spot to take your family for a day of fun or whatever you want to do. Yes you pay to get in but you also pay to get into wonderland, the fair or any other place. There is no difference. There are plenty of places that you can go where you don't have to pay.

I'm a fan of the Conservation Areas. When my daughter was little, they were great places to go that were close to home. You could rent a canoe and PFDs and spend a few hours pretty cheaply. And actually have some fish to catch!

Now, I take my nephew's and other family members' kids. Last week, my cousin's little son caught a 14-inch Smallie right off a dock at a Conservation Area near Hamilton! Good times.

Ya, I wish there was no admission charge, but all things considered, it's not much.

It brings accessable fishing close to the Urban areas and that's great.

Generally speaking, although a lot of people fish our Conservation Areas, I think the more 'experienced' fishermen move on to other waters and that means the fish are not really pressured as much as many people think.

I fish Selwyn Conservation area between Bridgenorth/ Buckhorn. They don't collect fees during the week so the gates are closed but the conservation area is still open. Its a little walk, but good fishing off a couple of points and a beach on Chemong Lake.

no I didn't...and I'm still mad that they won't let the snowmobile trail go through there

huh? wont let the sled trail go through?..... why? i never even knew there were any sleddin trails around fort creek, lol i just stick to sharps and around the windmills and stuff.

I've fished Hilton Falls. It's a gin clear little lake with largemouth bass. I too love the conservation areas. No jetskis, nobody pulling waterskiers, or kids on tubes and nobody burning gas on the water. I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder to see if some idiot is going to go flying by me in his bassboat and flip my kayak with his wake. For $4.25 to get in to the Grand river conservation areas you won't find more entertainment for your money. You can use your day pass at any other conservation area within the region you purchased it. If you go to Hilton Falls to fish, wear some hiking boots for walking on the rocky shoreline. You don't want to wear sandals and take a chance on wiping out on those rocks. I tried to respond to this thread last night but the site went down just as I hit the "add reply" button.

huh? wont let the sled trail go through?..... why? i never even knew there were any sleddin trails around fort creek, lol i just stick to sharps and around the windmills and stuff.

They wanted to make the trail go downtown that way, but the people in the area said, not in my backyard.

I travel a bit further than you. 12,500km on my sled in 3 seasons.

Back in the day, we used to go to Kelso and fish...it was a good time...that was 40 years ago

I was in a complaining mood earlier...I've calmed down now.

We just don't have a lot of civilization up here...its all wilderness

Edited by Dara

I've fished Hilton Falls. It's a gin clear little lake with largemouth bass. I too love the conservation areas. No jetskis, nobody pulling waterskiers, or kids on tubes and nobody burning gas on the water. I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder to see if some idiot is going to go flying by me in his bassboat and flip my kayak with his wake. For $4.25 to get in to the Grand river conservation areas you won't find more entertainment for your money. You can use your day pass at any other conservation area within the region you purchased it. If you go to Hilton Falls to fish, wear some hiking boots for walking on the rocky shoreline. You don't want to wear sandals and take a chance on wiping out on those rocks. I tried to respond to this thread last night but the site went down just as I hit the "add reply" button.

thanks.

it says on the website at hilton falls, "no use of any floatation or boating device"

i think the fees are too steep for conservation areas. 8 dollars per person and vehicle,then another 4 dollars for a passenger, come on! really?

just like camping at a provincial park,we pay for camping ,3 people 2 nights, almost 70.00, then when the 3rd person shows up they charge him 20 dollars to get in with his truck, what the hell!?

i feel real bad for anyone who wants to walk a trail and has to pay fees like that. hamilton has plenty of free trails but they will prolly put a highway thru more of them and force those people to pay to walk in a conservation area.

the world we live in eh.

Edited by Lunatic