Nice Smallie on the Bronte

mpagnan

I was out on Bronte a few weeks ago just having some fun, scouting, and practicing some new techniques. I was working upstream when I came to a hard right bend and I noticed the water ahead was considerably slower and darker. I figured it was a nice pool so I immediately headed to the shore and decided to approach the pool under cover heavy cover. I worked myself towards the pool all the while keeping myself behind the foliage. Once in range I lobbed my woolly bugger (with casting bubble) to the far side and worked it back. All of a sudden this monster pulled out from his hole and smashed it. It took me some time to pull it in due to my fear that my 4lb mono was going to let me down. Nevertheless here's the smallie. My net is approximately 17" and the bass was slightly larger than it.

Bronte_Small_Pool_by_Applyby___Copy.JPG

Nice bass for sure, looks to be 4lbs +?...there used to be a great population of smallies like that in Bronte...dozen a day easily. However, they are targetted heavily now with live bait and catch and keep anglers and the population has been impacted.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with people keeping bass as they are following the regs, i'm just sayin' ;)