Trolling Lake O

mistaredone

My wife is due to give birth by August 27 so musky fishing is on hold till the fall. Im looking to do some fishing that I can still be close to home (Mississauga) and after reading some recent posts of the salmon run maybe starting early this year due to lower temps and higher waters I was wondering if it was worth trolling around the tribs. I dont have downriggers so id be flat lineing spoons and jointed raps in hopes of hitting some stageing salmon or trout. It will be nice to get out on the water and give it a shot but was just wondering if I was way off.

I have dipsy divers but im not a fan. Im looking to troll the 18-23 foot shelf no deeper

It's still a bit early to be really productive in close but you might get a few if you get out right at first light or even after dark with glowing spoons. Another option for flatlining is out deep in the "blue zone" if you're willing to run out that far (would be a long ride in if you get "the call" from your wife!). Bows, Cohos and immature Chinooks can be found out there in the top part of the water column so you'd be able to get them with your stuff that will run 20-30' down.

I have dipsy divers but im not a fan. Im looking to troll the 18-23 foot shelf no deeper

They are adjustable you know. ;)

Another option is leadcore or even banana sinkers in line.

There is no way you will get a J13 Rapala or salmon spoon down 18'-23' without weight or a diving planer unless you are drifting. :D

Right now you really want to be in 60'-120' right now the shallows doesn't really start happening for a few more weeks.

This all changes should you have a couple of days of strong North winds.

Then anywhere from shore out should produce until the wind turns and blows the warm water back in.

All kinds of bass and pike swimming around the rivermouths and close to shore, as for salmonoids this warm sunny weather will drive them deep again, but you may get rewarded with a decent brown or two or as mentioned dipsys and torpedos will get you down to depth

I wouldn't bother with the mouth of bronte I hit the pier last night and it was dead also talked to a couple locals I know and they haven't heard of anything being caught any were close to the pier

Yeap, was out there too on the water with the boat, it was too warm near the mouth 73F

Fish were there going after bait you could see them jumping far out. I did not mark them until I started in the 120feet area.

Fishing was slooooooow crap floating in the water with high