For the Plumbers on the Board # 2

Beans

Now that you experts have Gerritt's problem solved...How about this one:

My (supposedly) washerless hot water tap in the bathroom sink leakes at the base when I turn it on full...I've tried using an old toothbrush and CLR to get rid of the calcium or lime buildup to no avail...any suggestions?

When you are saying it is leaking at the base, I am assuming this is a 2 handle deck faucet. If it's a Moen, American Standard or Delta, you can obtain parts easily to repair this. Usually the parts are over the counter warrenty items.

If these fixtures are Price Phister, parts can be found at Homeless Depot. If you went with Eurostream, or some other cheap fixture, good luck on finding parts.

Norm can you past a picture of the faucet so we know what brand and style it is. Faucets are many and repairs are different for each brand and style.

Art

BathroomTaps001.jpg

BathroomTaps002.jpg

I can't find a name brand on the faucet set...

In the second pic you can see the water leaking out of the base of the hot water tap...

The sink itself is American Standard and probably 30+ years old...maybe the faucet set came with the sink ?

Maribeth is saving her pennies to have the bathroom completely gutted and renovated but I'm not holding my breath...

Sure would be nice to get rid of the bathtub and replace it with the shower with a seat and handrails built in we saw at Home Depot...

Can't remember when I had a bath last...I love a SHOWER !!!...especially with a hand held hose...you get to rinse in places you didn't know you had places... :rolleyes:

Edited by Beans

I have the same taps!

Maybe shut the water off, disassemble the unit, and use some fresh plumbers tape when connecting all the parts back together?

Someone who is actually a plumber may correct me!

tc do you use alot of duct tape around the house? :dunno::dunno:

Depending on the job...Tin foil...duct tape!

If its worth fixing the proper way I will replace parts and use the ACTUAL solution...

But it seems like hes just got a leak where the main line connects to the faucet, due to the fact that its leaking from under neath the tap hardware and out onto the sink.

Again, if a plumber wants to correct me please do because I do not think I know everything....just suggesting what I would try before I would replace the entire tap!

EDIT :

Depending on the age of the fittings the plumbers tape could have corroded/broke down, thus my solution is not a completely invalid or without warrant!

Edited by TC1OZ

close shut off valve

remove small cap on handle.

taKE ALEN key and lossen it.

remove handle.

grab pliers and remove cartidge

inspect it.

you will see the ''O'' ring is finished.

replace ''o'' ring

OR

replace the whole cartidge

reno depor home depot reno depot they all have them

So far, removing the screen and soaking it in a container of CLR then removing the caked on calcium/lime build up has helped some but not completely solved the problem...will try taking the tap apart next...