Balsam Lake Park report

Skud

I will do this report in a few short posts because I don't have a photo host. Day one(Monday) was a bust because it took me all day to pack the truck, drive to the park and set up camp for the family. Lots of work when you have a family of 6. My parents a nd friends also came for a visit at dinner time so no fishing the first day.

Tuesday morning I was up and casting into the weeds by 6 am. A chilly 9 degrees woke me up fast. All I could land was an eight inch perch. When the winds kicked up I started trolling for Muskie. Five minutes in I had a big one on. It has been years since I have felt that kind of weight on the end of my line, a mid 40's fish for sure. But I payed to much attention to my boat and avoiding getting blown into the think weeds and the fish spit the lure. Trolled for two more hours and came up empty.

Headed back out around 5pm and targeted weed lines with crankbaits. This is my partner in crime, a fiesty Min-Pin always watching for trouble.

Finally hit paydirt with a 21.5" walleye. For the next hour or so I caught about a half dozen small bass and called it a day as the sun dropped behind the treeline.

Here is a pic of the 'in the slot' walleye.

Balsam2.jpg

Balsam1.jpg

Day 3. Wed was a delightful 7 degrees in the morning but the winds were calm. I headed straight down to South Bay and start throwing crankbaits into the weeds. I constantly caught perch but I also got into some walleye and bass. I only caught one decent Smallie but lots of 8-10 inchers. After the winds did kick up I went to trolling for muskie for an hour or so and was skunked.

The afternoon was very windy and I stayed close to the park with my sons. The oldest caught a few panfish while the three year old fell asleep. We headed in and I cleaned up the fish I kept(1 wally,1 smallie,2 perch) for dinner.

For the first time I started to take pictures on my own with the timer on my camera so some of the shots are a little off since I didn't always duck down enough or get far enough away.

Balsam4.jpg

Balsam5.jpg

Balsam6.jpg

Thursday morning was warmer and had some cloud cover with low winds. I travelled south but not far. Again I targeted 10 fow and weeds all around close to dropoffs. Deep diving cranks again had me into one walleye and one Largemouth. A very big Smallie threw my lure on a great jump boatside. When the winds got too strong for good boat control I went to trolling for Muskie with no results. I headed in by 10am to start tearing down the camp and packing the truck. The four days went by very quickly. Now it will be just weekends again. Here are a few more picks of the last fish caught.

Balsam7.jpg

Balsam8.jpg