Little Lake

Cudz

Got up early on Wednesday to go fish Little Lake in Barrie. I have only fished it a couple of time in the past few years and once was at night.

I used to fish the lake quite a bit 20 years ago. Anyway, I was fishing by 5am and everything started well. By 6am I had 2 little largies and a couple of little snot rockets. By 10 am I still only had 2 largies and only a few more little hammerhandles. I was a bit dissapopinted. I threw everything I had at them. My memory is bad but I remember catching way more bass and pike back in the day. All the pike were the same size (small). Oh well. At 10am I decided to pull the boat out and fish Simcoe for a couple of hours. I only managed 2 small smallmouth but took home a bunch of nice perch. In my opinion Simcoe has actually gotten better for fishing (for bass) in the past 20 years which is a contrast to poor Little Lake.

Maybe too much fishin pressure on Little Lake

little_lake_lm.jpg

simcoe_sm.jpg

have you taken the new boat out?

tambo

Yes, Three times. Not on Little lake though. I would not take it on that lake it is way too shallow.

I was out on Thursday with the family from 2pm until 6:30. Even managed to catch a bunch of perch, a smallie and a rockbass on the troll home.

By chance, I ended up fishing little lake twice this week. I bought a small 12' tin boat, and wanted to test it for leaks. Boats to small for Simcoe, so I hit little.

Same thing for me cudz. Hammerhandles, and Largies. Nothing worth going back again for..

I did manage to catch my first top water Largie. That was exciting.

I fished there two weekends ago with my boys. The weekends are crazy with people on the rental boats. You will see ten people in one pontoon boat keeping everything they catch. If you see only 3 or 4 guys they will have 3 to 4 lines out each. The boats will be surrounded by bobbers and they will also be casting. If they know they can get away with it, it shows there is no MNR presence. Pike can only be caught up to 16" because they are harvested before they get a chance to grow bigger. The lake is being raped but the powers that be must not care.

No doubt that lakes have large swinging cycles and some (in particular small ones) can be over fished easily. I have seen recent MNR and OPP patrols on the little Lake in Barrie. Are there enough patrols??? :dunno:

Another thing to keep in mind is that our memories can be very selective at times. We may remember fondly some distant good/great days on a body of water, but the fish-less days are omitted, or pushed to the dark corners of our minds (the same place where our true sports accomplishments are stored, not the ones we tell our friends). Those 6 big fish were not from one morning but from three trips over two years type of thing.