Need Help With Baitcaster

ciceri

Well, since I've been using these Senkos and frogs lately, i figure its time to start using a baitcaster. I only ever use one spincast rod every season, and i go for anything, and i always use fireline 10 lbs test. I figure it's about time i have two rods with me these days. Now, I just wanna start out "cheap" I was looking in Canadian Tire the other day and they had a few nice rod and reel combos for under $100.

Heres a few i was looking at

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...ast%2BCombo.jsp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...6-ft%2B6-in.jsp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...ing%2BCombo.jsp

Do those seem like decent starter rods? Something else I am wondering, what kind of line should i put on one of these? I always use fireline like I said, but i don't think that it would work too well on a baitcast reel. I will be using it for pull bass out of thick weeds and lily pads, so I dont want them to be snapping me off.

If there is any advice you guys could tell me, i would greatly appreciate it, I will most likely be picking a rod up sometime next week.

Thanks,

Ciceri...

Can't go wrong with ABU!

True that! I had a Abu combo i got a Canadian Tire half price, it was all dark green, I think it''s my favorite rod i've ever used. But i lost the original handle in the river one day, and broke the tip off :angry:

Out of those the abu is alright. Your best bet would to see if you can find a good used combo if your only willing to part out $100

I used to have a cheapie. Got a new curado a month after. Caught onto it quick and now use baitcasters almost exclusively.

Edited by danbob

I love using Baitcasters.... used to own 4 of 'em... now only 3.... 2 of which are spooled with Flourocarbon.... last one is with 50lb. Power Pro.

My 1st baitcaster was a Shimano Citica combo. Bought it at Lebaron..... starting loving Baitcasting so much.... started looking into buying seperate

rods and reels...

anyway... ABU's are great too - I've got 4 of those too.... :)

The Abu's the only one out of that trio worth looking at...no point getting a "starter" when you can have an Abu for a few bucks more...it could end up lasting you a long time. I spent $55 (USD) on a Shimano baitcast combo because it was a good deal...11 or 12 years later I still have it and it performs as well as it did the day I got it. Seriously.

2-piece? HAS to? Nahhhh....6 or even 6.5 feet is not that bad...will tuck into any car if you need it to. My trick is to put the reel in the back window, and let the rod run between the door and my seat...or along the ceiling clipped inside the little coat-hanger hook that most backseats have :)

The Abu's the only one out of that trio worth looking at...no point getting a "starter" when you can have an Abu for a few bucks more...it could end up lasting you a long time. I spent $55 (USD) on a Shimano baitcast combo because it was a good deal...11 or 12 years later I still have it and it performs as well as it did the day I got it. Seriously.

2-piece? HAS to? Nahhhh....6 or even 6.5 feet is not that bad...will tuck into any car if you need it to. My trick is to put the reel in the back window, and let the rod run between the door and my seat...or along the ceiling clipped inside the little coat-hanger hook that most backseats have :)

I dont have a vehicle yet, i still ride my bike and put my rods in my backpack.

Hey Ciceri

i live just down the river from you (aka port perry / view lake)

as for a rod, i would suggest a 6'6 MH , or 7'mh. and i normaly throw 30-50lb power pro , or stren super braid

and well i thought id start off and buy a cheep baitcaster set up.. so i got one of the Rhino setups from cdn tire.. it worked great.. but it was no shimano calias so to speak.... so i went down to bass pro and looked .. picked up a browning stalker combo for cheep.. not bad once again just to start of....the list goes on and well lets just say i have 7 set ups now..and those are no longer around.. the browning died.. and the rhino i traded in to bass pro for a reel trade in..

now if i could go back in time i would of spent a bit more on my first few set ups.. just a heads up ,

as carrying your rods.. i preffer 1 piece rod.. even if i had to ride my bike...but that is personal preference

Hey Ciceri

i live just down the river from you (aka port perry / view lake)

as for a rod, i would suggest a 6'6 MH , or 7'mh. and i normaly throw 30-50lb power pro , or stren super braid

and well i thought id start off and buy a cheep baitcaster set up.. so i got one of the Rhino setups from cdn tire.. it worked great.. but it was no shimano calias so to speak.... so i went down to bass pro and looked .. picked up a browning stalker combo for cheep.. not bad once again just to start of....the list goes on and well lets just say i have 7 set ups now..and those are no longer around.. the browning died.. and the rhino i traded in to bass pro for a reel trade in..

now if i could go back in time i would of spent a bit more on my first few set ups.. just a heads up ,

as carrying your rods.. i preffer 1 piece rod.. even if i had to ride my bike...but that is personal preference

Hey thanks for the reply, the reason behind my cheapness, haha, is i dont have a job, so i have no money coming in, and only have just over 100 in the bank, so i'm throwing all my money at a new rod :D

I put a wanted ad in the classified for a used one, we'll see what happens.

Hi Ciceri, I just red the 2009 catalogue from Le Baron and I found out that Abu Garcia Black Max Combo is just $69.45. The reel is in black color, different from the one showed on the cdn tire website.

The setup detail is showed below, hope this could help you and save some of your pocket money:D

- 4 ball bearings one roller bearing

- Aluminum spool

- Power disk drag system

- Duragear brass gears

- Mag Trax brake system

- Matching two-piece 6'6" Med Heavy Abu Garcia rod with cork handle

Here's the PDF list from Le Baron website: http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp09/fishi..._cherrywood.pdf

Edited by CrappieCamo

A cheap Shimano is worth more than any ABU, I have 4 baitcasters & 1 spinning ABU & won't be buying any more (bad experience), I have too many Shimano's my buddies tell me and 2 Quantum PT's & 5 BPS Extreme baitcasters bought 2 for $39.99 this spring Regular $109.00, if you have a problem with Shimano they stand behind it & you send it to Peterborough for repair. Ask on here or Post in the Classifieds on other forums

Richard

Ciceri, I'm going to LeBaron on Sat, need anything picked up? I'm in Whitby and passing through Port Perry the following weekend.

You could get a 6'6" or 7' rod and mount a PVC tube on the bike so the rod sticks up like a flag off the back end. you just tilt it back a bit so it looks cooler... ;):D