where to locate battery and fuel tank in the boat?

ch312

i have a little 14ft tinner that ive had out once so far. once i get on the water i cant be bothered with screwing around with this kinda stuff and just wanna get to fishing...

where would the ideal places be to locate the battery and gas in the boat when i am by myself? with a passenger?

also, what type of connector would be best for quick disconnect on the trolling motor? will need something where i just plug one into the other.

Well if I'm by myself I usually put the gas tank on the bench infront of me and the trolling battery is usually back with me at the transom. If i got a parter both the battery and the tank will be at the back. As for speed clips for the battery I would just use aligator clips that are proper resistance for the gauge wire of the trolling motor. Another thing I would play around with is the position of the trim pin on the outboard maybe you can play around with that to. It's all about being to center your boat while your at speed and plane.

When you're by yourself, the gas tank is best to be full, ahead of the middle seat if possible, and on the port side, to balance your weight to the starboard. Your battery should be on the port side for the same reason.

You want to distribute the weight forward and to port as much as possible to keep the boat level, especially if it's windy.

Edited by Jocko

Personally, I think that if someone has to ask a question like that, they shoudn't be boating by themselves. And for that matter, if they boat with a friend they should make sure their friend knows more about boating then they do. :huh:

I wish that I was like you, and born with all knowledge required to do anything. :angry:

The fellow asked for advice, there is no need to slam him, but the better response is to educate him.

Jokco and Henry gave you some great advise follow that. As for the trolling motor plug, they should be availible from a marina as most maufacturers supply them for their paticular motors

Personally, I think that if someone has to ask a question like that, they shoudn't be boating by themselves. And for that matter, if they boat with a friend they should make sure their friend knows more about boating then they do. :huh:

buddy, why do you think im asking? personally, i think that if someone has to give answers like that, they shouldnt be posting here by themselves. ;):rolleyes: but i guess i wasnt born with this knowledge like yourself :rolleyes: i've been in boats since i was a baby but never really paid attention to this kinda stuff.

thanks for the help from those with useful posts

Edited by ch312

Don't be afraid to ask questions. A 14' tin boat is the perfect place to learn about boating.

A properly loaded boat will sit level in the water. When I'm by myself the gas can and battery are up front. With a passenger it may be up front or in the stern. Just depends how heavy the passenger is. When carrying a passenger you might also need to trim the motor out a notch or the bow may plow.

On the 14' boat displayed in my avatar I use the disconnects that HometownHandyman mentioned on both my bow mount and transom mount trolling motors. They are fine in my application, but in your case I'd just use the alligator clips. They are much easier to install and corrosion won't be a problem. A battery box is a nice thing to have as well. On my 12' car topper I use an adapter on my transom mount trolling motor so I can use alligator clips.

Hello ch312

Dear fellow fisherman. If my post offended you then I must apologize. Sometimes I assume that people on this site are all very experienced fishermen as well as boaters. This may not always be the case.

In reviewing your post there were some replies from other posters that disturbed me regarding the location of the battery and the gas tank.

Keep in mind that these items should and must be kept well apart. Batteries are best kept in a container with a cover and all wiring securely fixed to the terminals. Batteries should never be stored adjacent to a gas tank. Gas tanks are often filled while in the boat and spillage always occurs. They should be filled on shore and then wiped clean before placing in the boat. The use of battery clips for an electric motor is fine but near a gas tank is not a good idea. Keep your battery at the rear of the boat in one location and away from your drain plug and keep your gas tank in front of you where you can see it and several feet away from the battery. Shift your tank from port side to starboard side depending on your sitting location in the boat. I would even recomend tying two gas hoses in tandem and locating the gas tank in the bow of the boat. This is often done if your boat is a bunny boat. ( One that hops across the water when planed out)

I could go on and on but I am sure you will figure it out.

also, what type of connector would be best for quick disconnect on the trolling motor? will need something where i just plug one into the other.

You can buy small quick connects at your local Princess Auto.When I did mine,I used the small verson like on an electric tow motor.

What kind of boat?Newer or older type.

I always had my tank in the middle of the boat,on the floor,and made an instert which I

put in the front seat with a lid that held my battery.Safe and tucked away.

Good luck with your project.

Edited by misfish

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/acc...nnect_plug.aspx

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/acc...receptacle.aspx

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/acc...wer_center.aspx

hard wire one end to the battery and leave it attached all the time , than attach the other end to what ever it is your running in your boat , put battery in boat plug in TAAADAAAAA

Edited by Wiser

Hello ch312

Dear fellow fisherman. If my post offended you then I must apologize. Sometimes I assume that people on this site are all very experienced fishermen as well as boaters. This may not always be the case.

In reviewing your post there were some replies from other posters that disturbed me regarding the location of the battery and the gas tank.

Keep in mind that these items should and must be kept well apart. Batteries are best kept in a container with a cover and all wiring securely fixed to the terminals. Batteries should never be stored adjacent to a gas tank. Gas tanks are often filled while in the boat and spillage always occurs. They should be filled on shore and then wiped clean before placing in the boat. The use of battery clips for an electric motor is fine but near a gas tank is not a good idea. Keep your battery at the rear of the boat in one location and away from your drain plug and keep your gas tank in front of you where you can see it and several feet away from the battery. Shift your tank from port side to starboard side depending on your sitting location in the boat. I would even recomend tying two gas hoses in tandem and locating the gas tank in the bow of the boat. This is often done if your boat is a bunny boat. ( One that hops across the water when planed out)

That is EXACTLY the type of reply that makes this board great! :clapping::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

I would even recomend tying two gas hoses in tandem and locating the gas tank in the bow of the boat. This is often done if your boat is a bunny boat. ( One that hops across the water when planed out)

The "Bunny Boat" you speak of is actually called Porpoising, and weight distribution isn't the cause or solution of the problem.

Porpoising can be caused by several things, over powering, incorrect shaft length... but mainly from having the motor trimmed up to high.

I currently have my gas tank and 2 40lb batteries behind me in my 14ft. I do have a 70lb minnkota and a casting deck up front though. When I'm alone its not bad though....although I'm thinking of running one battery up front to see if that helps plane things out.

Wherever you decide to place your components, make sure there is some way to mount your battery so that it won't flip over. Some bateries leak when flipped over, and they're all heavy enough to cause damage to your gear.

I broke my favorite rod this year becuase I didn't strap down the battery (in a rush to hit the water). The bat. bounced off the shelf it was sitting on, and landed on my rod. SNAP!!

I personally run my bat. up in the nose of my boat, and the tank in the rear, both on the port size. Every boat is a little different, depending on style, motor size, ballance, etc..

You'll find something that works for you. Then strap er down!!