Wierd Vibration on my F-150 (NF)

If its a Wheel bearing ....I'll pay for it myself..... :stretcher:

A warped rotor only causes the steering wheel to shake when the brakes are applied... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I see your truck is equipped with rack and pinion ,, so i'll now go with a Lower ball joint... :whistling: :whistling:

Edited by Whitespinnerbait

bad karma....lol

yup.....but there's always a bright side to things!!!....I'm glad it happened now and not next week while I'm on vacation, driving on the Trans Canada Hwy, pulling a boat heading North :thumbsup_anim:

If it is the lower ball joint, I'm not going to be too impressed!!!....I had this replaced under warranty back in 2007 and I've only put on another 30,000KM since then!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

Its a Ford thing.

From 04 to at least 08.

I had an 04 and the service guys put it on a warranty recall thing. He said Ford was trying to figure it out but had no fix for it yet. I took an 08 out for a test drive and it did the same thing. I even asked the guy and he said...yep...they still do that. You gotta find the sweet spot and you can make it do it whenever you want after that. One did it at 80kmph, the other was about 86. Some as high as 120 from what he said

Go try to find the speed. Creep up really slowly and you will find it.

In the beginning they put a vibration damper under the back bumper. This helped a bit but not totally cured.

The smell is something different. That I don't know, unless you kept it vibrating for a long time and caused it.

Ive had two F-150's. An 04 for 3 years, and an 07 currently and ive never experienced this issue, knock on wood. Having said that............besides this wobble problem, i would really get those brakes serviced especially before you go on your road trip. More beer money, but alot cheaper than what could happen if you step on the pedal and cant stop. I went over on my brakes once........and that was a long time ago.............when i found out how much more a brake job was when the pads were gone and the studs of the pads were digging into the rotors. Now i ask a mechanic to take a look at them every time its taken in for service. Ive had this truck about 2 years and just took it in for an oil change and had the brakes looked at , with about 36,000 miles on it, he siad they were about 60% gone.........

Preventive maintenance on your vehicle is probably one of the biggest money savers going!!

Wheel bearings are very common. Likely the problem here.

Did you check to make sure the wheel nuts were tight?

That was the first thing I checked Bernie :clapping: ...called the garage this morning and the owner can't look at my truck until later this morning...first thing he thought of was a seized caliper as well......we'll see......I will make sure to post an update as soon as I know what the outcome is!!!

I'm praying that it is the wheel bearings so that Whitespinnerbait picks up the tab as he mentioned in his post yesterday!!!!....what a GREAT GUY!!! :thumbsup_anim:

If its a Wheel bearing ....I'll pay for it myself..... :stretcher:

if you are still getting a quiet ride than i highly doubt its the wheel bearing, if the bearing is on its way out than you will constantly be hearing a humming at speed

warped rotors will also cause your truck to shake but it will be a constant shaking not just when the brakes are applied

Judging by the pictures I think you should just park the truck. Cause one wheel is turning right and the other one is turning left???? :lol::lol::lol:

I tought it was pretty funny. Sure sounds like what a balancing issue would cause, but a good mechanic should be abl to sort it out for you. Better to do it now than have to get a tow from 40 miles deep in the bush.

Or it's a loose nut behind the wheel!!!!!!

Edited by wallyboss

Here's an update......I just got off the phone with the mechanic...he took it out for a drive and can't reproduce the vibration :wallbash: ......it was acting up while I drove it to the garage but now it's stopped!!!

The front end is good, but the brakes are done including a rear seized caliper....we did smell something again when I dropped it off which turns out to be the rear axle seal that's leaking :wallbash: .........he's going to take it off the hoist and take it for a longer drive to see if he can reproduce the problem.....if he can't I guess I'll go ahead and get the work done that's needed and pray that it's not something else that will come back to haunt me next week while we're heading up to Temagami :(

Can anyone guess what this is going to cost???.......rear axle seals and front and rear brakes

Steve

Brakes CALLED IT :D The axle seals I find a little hard to belive a little sweat from the seal is normal But if is making things damp with gear oil then they need to be done . Check the rear diff gear oil make sure there is no shinney specs in it pinnion and carrier bearings are common and can cause the seals to leak ;)

figure on about 3.5-4.5 hours labour and depends on the quality of the parts 1st line pads around 130 / rotors 150-220 axle seals bout 20 bux or so cheapy parts pads 50-60 bux rotors 85-110 bucks

The quote I got was $1200 :wallbash: .....front and rear brakes including replacement calipers and then the rear axle seals..... :dunno: ...there goes the beer fund :blink:

And we still don't know if the vibration is even being caused by the brakes....that's the part I have a hard time dealing with!!!!....

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

Brakes CALLED IT :D The axle seals I find a little hard to belive a little sweat from the seal is normal But if is making things damp with gear oil then they need to be done . Check the rear diff gear oil make sure there is no shinney specs in it pinnion and carrier bearings are common and can cause the seals to leak ;)

ptmpete....he's not sure if the axle seals are leaking until he pulls the hubs off....he's guessing that there's a leak due to the gear oil smell we both smelt yesterday when I dropped it off....this was the same smell I smelt the day I came home after the vibration started and said I could smell something...

Stuck caliper burning up the pads gives a pretty bad smell ,Be sure to check the gear oil , Too bad you are so far

I had the rear diff flushed and oil replaced on May 14th at Mr. Lube.....they used synthetic oil 75W/140 which should be ok....

I'm waiting to hear back from the mechanic...I'll post the end results when i get them!!!

Thanks again guys....

Steve