An international slap in the face

Unfortunately I missed a lot of the rememberance celebration of D Day yesterday. Normally, if I get the chance, I sit and watch everything that takes place or documentaries that are played on June 6th, but being away, I was stuck with reading the aftermath and I wasn't impressed.

Basically in his speech the President of France, Nicholas Sarkozi stated that D Day was entirely the result Franco-American success.....completely and utterly spitting in the faces of Canadian and British veterans, not only that, France did not invite the leaders of Canada or Britain to the celebrations around Normandy, Harper and the British leaders basically invited themselves and insisted they were allowed to speak. The French government only wanted Sarkozi and Obama to speak.

It's terrible to think that the United States gets all the credit for the success of the Normandy invasion. In the Kitchener Record, in the opinion section, a Canadian student made a great comment. This young woman was a tour guide at a museum in one of the small towns along Juno beach where the Canadians landed. She made everyone who read it aware that the French are more than greatful for what the Canadians did. Too bad their leaders are too busy sucking up to the Americans and Barrack Obama.

I will always be thankful for what the WW2 vets did for this country and I think that Harper had it right -finally- when he called that generation, the greatest generation. The did not have to fight. Their liberty was not in jeapordy, but they fought for what was right. It's a shame that there are very few WW2 vets still alive. Bless them all, we will not forget - unlike the President of France.

I will always be thankful for what the WW2 vets did for this country and I think that Harper had it right -finally- when he called that generation, the greatest generation. The did not have to fight. Their liberty was not in jeapordy, but they fought for what was right. It's a shame that there are very few WW2 vets still alive. Bless them all, we will not forget - unlike the President of France.

Amen brother. :clapping:

The worst part, was when you look at the literature and all the documentaries of D Day....Canada was the first to break the German lines, the first to reach their target and they did it in one day.....

what is really sad is the insult to the 250,000 veterans who were insulted - 90,000 Canadians and I think it was 165,000 Brits....

FishiNAutographs, you've got to understand that when Europeans refer to Franco-American or Italo-American, they mean and include all of North America. It's not a slap in the face at all. And, if you want proof, take a jaunt over to Normandy or Dieppe for a few days and you'll be blown away by their recognition of Canadians' service to them.

It's a shame that ALL countries involved in D-Day don't remember this special day better. This should be a world wide holiday for everyone involved. Canadian soldiers had a tremendous impact including many of them giving the ultimate sacrifice.

God Bless all of these BRAVE men and their families.

Thank You,

Bob

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Sarkozy obviously didn't care about the day itself, he just wanted a photo op with Mr. "so hot right now" Obama.

What a self serving prick. While I'm not always in agreeance with certain skirmishes we are involved in these days, WWII epitomizes selflessness and sacrifice, and makes me so proud to know my grandfather fought for the liberties I enjoy.

Unfortunately I missed a lot of the rememberance celebration of D Day yesterday. Normally, if I get the chance, I sit and watch everything that takes place or documentaries that are played on June 6th, but being away, I was stuck with reading the aftermath and I wasn't impressed.

Basically in his speech the President of France, Nicholas Sarkozi stated that D Day was entirely the result Franco-American success.....completely and utterly spitting in the faces of Canadian and British veterans, not only that, France did not invite the leaders of Canada or Britain to the celebrations around Normandy, Harper and the British leaders basically invited themselves and insisted they were allowed to speak. The French government only wanted Sarkozi and Obama to speak.

It's terrible to think that the United States gets all the credit for the success of the Normandy invasion. In the Kitchener Record, in the opinion section, a Canadian student made a great comment. This young woman was a tour guide at a museum in one of the small towns along Juno beach where the Canadians landed. She made everyone who read it aware that the French are more than greatful for what the Canadians did. Too bad their leaders are too busy sucking up to the Americans and Barrack Obama.

This guy did an Amazing Speech. Please listen. It felt good being Canadian. Am I allowed too, or is it not politically correct?

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/rememberin...day/#clip180430

Edited by holdfast