Bass Box

JohnF

Being a creek wader I'm limited to what goes with me on a given day. Excluding plastics cuz they'll be anuther thread, what lures do y'all favour for smallmouths in shallow water. My limit on an excursion is about 10 tops provided they're not too long. If I'm also targeting pike that lowers the number cuzza the extra size. Remember, this is for smallmouths only.

JF

Edited by JohnF

When wading for smallies in the Thames, my favorite lure is a 2 to 3 inch floating Rapala in their 'rainbow trout' color. If they don't go for that, then I'll change to the same thing but in a perch color. If they don't like that, then I might try a Mepp's type spinner or some plastic minnow type bait but most of the time I'm using one of those Rapalas. And, if you happen to break one off on a snag, quite often it will pop back up to the surface so you get to go chase it down the river. :)

Edited by fireball

FB just beat me too it. 3-4" Rapala Rainbow Trout, then brown trout colour .

Rebel wee craw is a must have

Mepps black fury and gold

Tiny torpedos

Wooly buggers and muddlers under floats

4" berkley power worms on a 1/8 jig head

4" senko, white, pumpkin and black

I don't think there need to carry any more

C_03.jpg

SPRFCB25Shad_450.png

2007_1123lures90A0005.JPG

The top two have a little more lip than I use and not colours I'd have thought to try. I've had some luck with blue or green A.C.Shiners. The bottom one I have in a different colour and it works well on occasion.

JF

Edited by JohnF

When wading for smallies in the Thames, my favorite lure is a 2 to 3 inch floating Rapala in their 'rainbow trout' color. If they don't go for that, then I'll change to the same thing but in a perch color. If they don't like that, then I might try a Mepp's type spinner or some plastic minnow type bait but most of the time I'm using one of those Rapalas. And, if you happen to break one off on a snag, quite often it will pop back up to the surface so you get to go chase it down the river. :)

I have a couple of those Rainbow patterns but I didn'tbother trying them as we have no baby rainbows as forage around here. Guess I should give it a go. As I've said elsewhere my fishing buddy always uses a floating Rapala, a grey one. He's happy with the results.

I have had some luck with size 3 and 4 Mepps.

JF

FB just beat me too it. 3-4" Rapala Rainbow Trout, then brown trout colour .

Rebel wee craw is a must have

Mepps black fury and gold

Tiny torpedos

Wooly buggers and muddlers under floats

4" berkley power worms on a 1/8 jig head

4" senko, white, pumpkin and black

I don't think there need to carry any more

I picked up a Rebel bumblebee (not sure of the proper name) afew weeks ago. Does your craw have little bitty hooks? I saw some pro on WFN raving about the bee pattern but I didn't notice the hook size he was using. They seem pretty small for bass to me. I tried the lure in the pool and it dives very easily and has kind of nifty action underwater. Of course I've never seen a swimming bee before so I don't know what is a natural look for a bee swimming 1' inder the surface. :D

JF