Another truck question

Daplumma

I almost Just PM,d Bernie but I know he will see it here and maybe someone has another idea.

My 1999 GMC Suburban 4wd fishing truck is having issues.When it sits for a few days the battery goes flat.I tested the battery and charging system,they are OK and I'm sure they are not the problem.I took the positive terminal off of the battery and hooked up a test light between the terminal and cable.I got a pretty bright light.I started removing fuses one at a time and the light went out when I pulled the 50A large fuse marked BATT.I reinstalled the fuse and started on the "sub panel" inside the truck by the door.The light dimmed quite a bit when I pulled the "tcase" fuse.I will say that the check 4wd light has been on for a few months but would go off if I took it in and out of 4wd.Now the light wont go out when I activate the 4wd.I have pulled tha fuse for now and the batteryy is holding a charge.Can I assume the swithch is sticking and causing something to be energized even with the key off?Is this a common problem with these vehicles?Any ideas?

Joe

Just pulled it partway intothe garage and tested it again.The light went out when I unplugged the wires on the drivers side top of the transfer case.What now?Can this motor be replaced by mere mortals or am I gonna have to call in some favors from my mechanic buddy?

Thanx for the replies,got to love this place!

Joe

I think he was referring to something like the "stump broke mule"! B)

Joe, take the vehicle to a qualified mechanic!!!... you're taking the bread out of their mouthes by fixing it yourself!!! :angry:

If it was my work truck I prolly would but this is my fishing truck and the fishing budget is a little thin right now.

Joe

Just pulled it partway intothe garage and tested it again.The light went out when I unplugged the wires on the drivers side top of the transfer case.

On top? A three or four wire plug ? if so that controls the front axle accuator ,tast it again but this time unplug the front axle its on the passenger side of the front axle

Edited by ptmpete

yep you got the right one it sounds like you need a small selector motor , When was the last time you checked your trans case oil ?

It goes hand and hand sometimes low on oil burns out bearings and makes it hard for the motor to change gears

yep you got the right one it sounds like you need a small selector motor , When was the last time you checked your trans case oil ?

It goes hand and hand sometimes low on oil burns out bearings and makes it hard for the motor to change gears

Guess I'll be checking that oil soon.I would think if it was having a difficult enough time changing gears it would blow the fuse.This thing is just stuck on I guess.How tough is this little gem to replace?

Joe

they are not TOO bad to change, on you back not so much fun .pull the front drive shaft out and a few bolts and out she comes Install the same just make sure the shaft is in line with the motor DONT force it in

Sounds like a job that will be easier with a lift.Might have to take it to my buds garage.Maybe a tranfer case and diff fluid changing party is in order.Thanx for the help.

Joe

Aww gee. I didn't get to help.

They are a little tricky to do the first time. But you don't need to remove the driveshaft. I have done them outside on the ground.

The screws tend to sieze in up here from road salt but you shouldn't need to worry about that Joe. :)

Aww gee. I didn't get to help.

They are a little tricky to do the first time. But you don't need to remove the driveshaft. I have done them outside on the ground.

The screws tend to sieze in up here from road salt but you shouldn't need to worry about that Joe. :)

Thanx Bern,This was a lease turn in from Michigan so the salt factor is there.Wish me luck..

Joe