rear drag spinning reels

timmeh

I'm considering buying a rear drag shimano symetre, but have never used a reel with this type of drag system. Does anyone have any good of bad things to say about this particular reel or rear drag systems in general? It may take a few fish to get used to it, but once I do I think it will be fine, but input from someone with experience would be great.

Thanks,

I have ONE reel with rear drag adjustment. Seems to work as well as any other.

It would be easier to get at to adjust the drag while you're fighting a fish, but I seriously doubt anyone does that. I set mine before the first cast and then leave it that way. Too much chance over over-tightening if you fool with it while "in action". :D

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny

I've been using them for years in various makes and models. I like them just fine. Some are even more sensitive than front drag models. The model that you're looking at is a good one.

Hi Timmeh,

I have a Spirex 4000 RG and my wife has a 2500 RG, both with rear drag, and I also have an older TX plus 130 and a TX plus 125, both the same setup again. I really like them, and I bought them because of the rear drag. Never had any problems with any of them and find them a breeze to use, and the one handed cast is a bonus for us. They also have a lever that you can flip to the right when fighting a fish that will tighten the drag without changing the initial drag adjustment.....once you are done fighting the fish....you just flip the lever back to the left again and the drag is back to where you set it up. Handy little feature, at least in my eyes.....

We are both pleased with ours if that is any help.

Bill

If you fish a lot of big fish, carp, salmon, trout, channel cats.. the rear drag is convenient. No chance of your fingers touching the line and losing the fish of a lifetime. If you fish bass, walleye and similar species.. the rear drag is really of no benefit to you. More of a convenience thing.

I don't know what is wrong with this new batch of symetre FJs on the market right now but their quality is nasty. They are on sale at Le Baron right now for $107 and I tried several reels, three 3000 series and two 2500s, and they were not smooth at all. One 3000 reel barely made two complete rotation before coming to a complete stop. Even the sales guy at the counter was surprised. I personally wouldn't buy one. You should try the Saros which is one level up and will be on sale at Gagnon in Oshawa starting on June the 18th for their fathers day sale for $120. The Saros however does not come in a rear drag model. Front drag design is better anyways because of the increase in surface area and are found in all your high end reels.

I used to be a front drag purist. A front drag snob might be an even more apt description. Then one day I needed 6 new reels and Jos only had 3 front drags left in the model I wanted and he swore up and down that I would prefer the rear drags due to the fighting drag so I took 3. I have fished the 6 reels interchangeably for 3 years now and can honestly say I don't even pay attention to which kind of reel it is - I care about the tube colour or jighead weight, or whatever is tied on the line, but everything else is the same - same main braided line same size fluoro leader. Front or rear drag never enters the thought process when selecting a stick. I don't adjust the drag while fighting a fish, usually I'm just too shocked that I got a bite! :) I honestly can't remember the last time I adjusted the drag while fighting a fish except for those times on your first time out and you realize after your first bite that you had backed the drag all the way off in the winter. That's about the only time I play with the drag during a battle.

My reels are the Symmetre in 1500/2500 sizes and I'd say go for it. It probably won't be a huge difference to the front drag and from my experience the Symmetres have been worth every penny and then some.

Good luck,

Charles

i personally really like the rear drag system. They are nice when you hook into a larger fish and you need to readjust your drag and you can keep tension on the line while doing it. the rear drag came in handy today when i hooked into a 5lb smallie :D and i did take a pic real quick and the pic will probably be posted tomorrow or the next day!

There is a reason why you don't see rear drag models of reels that are in the mid to upper price range.

Rear drag reels can be alright but generally for the same price a front drag will perform better, last longer :blahblah1: . It has to do with the mechanics of the washers and their size.

I've lost lots of fish (and will lose lots more) but never has it been because I was adjusting my front drag.

2 cents???

There is a reason why you don't see rear drag models of reels that are in the mid to upper price range.

Rear drag reels can be alright but generally for the same price a front drag will perform better, last longer :blahblah1: . It has to do with the mechanics of the washers and their size.

I've lost lots of fish (and will lose lots more) but never has it been because I was adjusting my front drag.

2 cents???

Okay all I am going to say is two words ZEBCO CARDINAL!!

FLEX

Before I was given a Okuma baitrunner reel I used a Zebco saltwater reel with a rear drag for fishing for carp...I would cast out...set the drag to #9 (lightest) then during the initial run I would adjust the drag to #4 on the dial...worked great !

Okay all I am going to say is two words ZEBCO CARDINAL!!

FLEX

That's because they are the only two words you could use. I would list the names of the numerous models from multiple brands that have better front drags but I don't type that fast, and I don't have the time.

That being said, I believe the drag system in the cardinal is rear adjustable but not a "rear drag" as such. They were/are solid reels.