Time to start eating more bass and less pickerel?

big guy

there are a few lakes in the sault area that get hit hard constantly for atleast the past 20years and the fishing is always the same. If you fished tilley lakes, crooked lake,jarvis, bone lake, etc. I was at tilley yesterday and there must have been 4-5 boats out there which is normally a ton for a lake around here, everyone always does well and lots keep their limit in smallies and walleye. Its been like this for 20years. i catch small fish and large ones and in large quanities. At my favorite pike lake between me and 2 buddies we all take home our limit each time we go there and my buddies uncle believes no rules apply to him and i've seen him take home a garbage bag full of fillets, now thats wrong but the point im trying to prove is we still kill them in there. but anyways i've had enough with this topic im gonna keep doing what i do and you guys just keep doing what your doing and keep your mouth shut. if someone every comes to me and complains im taking home my limit i'll slap them with my stringer!!

Edited by worm dangler

Catch and release kills some fish as well.So don't fall to hard off that horse when that terminally injured bass or walleye comes floating by your dock and is wasted (against the law) because it is against someones moral standards to keep a fish.

Come to Belleville and take a look along the shoreline after a few weekends of catch and C&R bass tourneys and you will see more dead 3-5 pound bass being eaten by seagulls than most people will keep in a lifetime of eating fish.

If you choose to only C&R thats your choice but don't preach to those that don't.

I'm curious to know how many of the posters who replied here actually got off thier arse and went to the FMZ 17 public meeting regarding the new reg changes that are being proposed???

You all had your chance. It was posted here and on every other fishing site I know of, advertised in the papers etc........

I went, and there was only about 25 people in attendance, and that was including the MNR reps who put on the show. I was a little discusted at the turn out to be quite honest.

If your not willing to do something about it, or at the very least, learn a little about what is going on, then don't complain about it now. Your just as much to blame as the guys keeping fish.

I'm riding shotgun on the moosebunk train. My family and I like to have a fresh meal of fish once a week. I like to have something different each week as well, be it trout/salmon/eyes/perch/crappies/pike......we like it all. Ask my 7 year old son what he wants for dinner and he'll tell you a fish fry every day!! Do I think my selective harvest of fish to eat harms the fishery?? Absolutly not!!!

Sinker

Well Sinker,

I didn't go to the meetings but I did do the online survey for my input as I love fishing in the Kawarthas.Balsam Lake being my favorite.Really hope that a winter panfish season comes into play in the future for the Kawarthas.

On that note to answer to the original post I have no problem eating whatever I catch IF I'm in an eating mood.I only want for a good fresh fish dinner once a week as well.I'll eat the same in bass as walleye although I prefer bass to be no more than a pound max.

Gary2rs

Don't forget that fish spawn too.It's not like the lake/s have a finite number that is being whittled down to nothing.Some lake populations need enhancement others just need management.Most need the cormorants culled and everything would be fine.At least that's my view.

Kerry

Dear Moosebunk and friends;

I asked you to please, not take my comments personally. I don't dispute your right to take fish legally.

The laws may be stupid, but no one can not fix stupid.

My first problem is with the concept that limits are set with the best interest of the resource in mind.

Next, I dispute the idea that the fish are free and just there to be taken...

Those fish are the future.

If you can not see the truth in that, forget it! There is no future!

About limits...

In the Kawarthas we have had a number of low recruitment years for Walleye...

I honestly feel that the Walleye fishery should have been closed, to allow it to regenerate.

But what has happened? The limits have not even been reduced!!!

WHY?

Because lower limits are bad for business!

Businesses in this area have a 14 to 16 week window in which to make a living.

So my friends, we will screw the resource to keep the dollars flowing.

Yes, this is short sighted, because the tourist who didn't catch fish isn't coming back, but as I said you can't fix stupid!

Could we agree that this is total bull-poop and a sell-out of the resource?

But, that's the way the game is played.

North of #17 is a totally different story. I don't know what your situation is...

I think only Dan, Joey and TJ actually live up there year round and I think they fish with dynamite.

Down here in Cottage Country we are within two hours of The Big Smoke...Toronto.

We have a tournament or two and perhaps two hundred white bucket shore fishermen every weekend.

People are casually killing fish that it took us 10 or 12 years to grow.

Every big fish you remove makes space for a bunch of small fish...If you keep doing this we might be a panfish fishery in a few years!!!

Look at Europe and England, people fish for trash fish and minnows...

Why?

Because there ancestors killed all the game fish.

You can do the same for your children if you choose.

I DON'T CARE!!! I am old and in a few years I will be dead and gone.

You will have to explain your part in the extinction of game fish to your Grandchildren...Good Luck!

Ontario is to big! should be cut in half! or a 1/4 off it. cut southern ontario off and let them be their own country cause its a whole different world down there with their own problems! i've been down to southern ontario and fished there and i know what they are talking about although where i am in ontario its a total different fishery and i find much better. turn everything south of barre catch and release haha!!

If the pressure of many anglers catching and keeping fish didn't have a detrimental effect on fish populations than why do so many of us prefer fishing in remote locations, as apposed to in the middle of town? Why do fly-in lodges stay in business?...why not save the expence/hasle of transporting yourself and your gear into the middle of nowhere if fishing pressure didn't make any difference?

The reason people are eager to fish in waters that experience little or no fishing pressure is because the fishing is better there. Period. The more fish that angler A takes from a particular body of water, the less fish that are there for anglers B through Z. We all know this and pretending otherwise is just silly.

Edited by Fishnwire

For those who think it's fine to always take fish one thing to think about is that fishing is changing. The internet has changed most things in the world and fishing is no exception.

Years of searching for hotspots and learning techniques are replaced by 2 hours of clicking a mouse. People are getting a head start, the days of showing up to an unknown body of water and trying to figure it out are long gone. Now you show up and know every species in the lake, have multiple maps of the lake bottom, and have cameras that show you exactly what's down there, along with 20 reports by people who fished the lake last week. There is so much info out there and that only serves to increase the pressure.

I feel that limits need to reflect this new age of "internet angler". Since most of these people didn't spend those hours learning on the water they sometimes don't have the same respect for our resources as those who have spent years fishing.

Edited by timmeh

Dear Moosebunk and friends;

I asked you to please, not take my comments personally. I don't dispute your right to take fish legally.

The laws may be stupid, but no one can not fix stupid.

My first problem is with the concept that limits are set with the best interest of the resource in mind.

Next, I dispute the idea that the fish are free and just there to be taken...

Those fish are the future.

If you can not see the truth in that, forget it! There is no future!

About limits...

In the Kawarthas we have had a number of low recruitment years for Walleye...

I honestly feel that the Walleye fishery should have been closed, to allow it to regenerate.

But what has happened? The limits have not even been reduced!!!

WHY?

Because lower limits are bad for business!

Actually the limits have been reduced, from 6 fish with no size restrictions to 4 fish with only 1 allowed over 46 cm (18"). And most likely they will be reduced again, if I had my way, 4 fish with zero fish over 45 cm (17.7").

Businesses in this area have a 14 to 16 week window in which to make a living.

So my friends, we will screw the resource to keep the dollars flowing.

Yes, this is short sighted, because the tourist who didn't catch fish isn't coming back, but as I said you can't fix stupid!

Could we agree that this is total bull-poop and a sell-out of the resource?

But, that's the way the game is played.

North of #17 is a totally different story. I don't know what your situation is...

I think only Dan, Joey and TJ actually live up there year round and I think they fish with dynamite.

Down here in Cottage Country we are within two hours of The Big Smoke...Toronto.

We have a tournament or two and perhaps two hundred white bucket shore fishermen every weekend.

People are casually killing fish that it took us 10 or 12 years to grow.

Every big fish you remove makes space for a bunch of small fish...If you keep doing this we might be a panfish fishery in a few years!!!

Look at Europe and England, people fish for trash fish and minnows...

Why?

Because there ancestors killed all the game fish.

You can do the same for your children if you choose.

I DON'T CARE!!! I am old and in a few years I will be dead and gone.

You will have to explain your part in the extinction of game fish to your Grandchildren...Good Luck!

You keep using examples such as the one above and the Arizona one to make your case, but really, it's apples and oranges. You can not compare two areas that are so vastly different in size and population density and that are so vastly different in the resources they provide to make a case for total catch and release fishing.

Edited by big guy

For those who think it's fine to always take fish one thing to think about is that fishing is changing. The internet has changed most things in the world and fishing is no exception.

Years of searching for hotspots and learning techniques are replaced by 2 hours of clicking a mouse. People are getting a head start, the days of showing up to an unknown body of water and trying to figure it out are long gone. Now you show up and know every species in the lake, have multiple maps of the lake bottom, and have cameras that show you exactly what's down there, along with 20 reports by people who fished the lake last week. There is so much info out there and that only serves to increase the pressure.

I feel that limits need to reflect this new age of "internet angler". Since most of these people didn't spend those hours learning on the water they sometimes don't have the same respect for our resources as those who have spent years fishing.

But all the information in the world and the high tech gadgetry will not put fish on your stringer. You still have to catch them.

I do agree with your respect assessment however. The now generation doesn't and hasn't had to work for anything in their life, if they want something, they go and get it, or have it given to them.

Bass can taste great if you clean them right away. At least SMBs do. Light flesh, bit of a nutty flavour.

Smallmouth bass is fine eating from Nipissing.

I wonder why more people don't eat pike -- to me they are the best tasting freshwater fish (other than trout)

Shhhhh! You don't want to blab that all over.

With pike you get it all. Good fight, no slot limit, often bite when other fish are turning their noses up, great-tasting meat when you take boneless fillets.

Take boneless fillets off a 3 or 4 lb pike and you've got more meat than off of two or three under-slot pickerel.

I think people avoid them because of the reputation ("they" say pike taste crappy unless they're caught in cold water - Bull), and because of the mess of cleaning them, and because of the bones (they don't know how to fillet them boneless).

Best way to clean pike (when you know how to take boneless fillets in the first place) is on newspapers. You can do this even on your kitchen counter (especially handy in the winter). Take a cutting board (scrap piece of plywood or chipboard will do), cover with layers of the Toronto Star (Saturday edition will do LOTS of fish), and go to it. The remains go in a plastic grocery bag, crumple up the wet layers of newspaper and chuck them in the bag too, then you're ready with a clean surface for the next fish. No muss, no fuss. Wash your hands with lemon-scented dish soap and you're done.

Sprinkle the fillets with lemon juice and rub in. Dredge in salted and peppered flour, and fry in hot oil with a dab of margarine. You'll come back for seconds.

Of course you probably know all of this already, Cram.

I'm just blabbing to the uninitiated. :P

I just finished reading the rest of the thread and I'm surprised by a few of the statements.

Fishing is not golf.

While I can respect the opinion that catch and release is the only personal choice for some, I cannot respect the advocacy of it, especially in terms of us “ruining” the future fishery, and by implication having to feel guilty about bringing a few fish home.

Europe is no good example, no good at all. The European fishery was wrecked long before any regulations were in place to maintain a sustainable harvest. The European experience does not translate to Ontario. Neither does some limited fishery down in a place like Arizona where people are fishing for stocked fish in artificial reservoirs.

We have regulations in place for sustainable harvest, and those regulations have been (and will be, wherever necessary) adjusted to reflect fish populations and pressure on them. That’s the MNR’s job; that and enforcement, of which they do too little to catch people who disrespect the law. (There’s part of the real problem, and one that can lead to depletion.)

If I respect catch limits and size limits and fishing seasons, I am doing exactly what I need to do to follow an expert assessment of what needs to be done so my great-grandkids can catch fish too. Feel guilty about taking home a limit? Not on your life. Not when I’ve fished on days when I’ve gotten skunked or only caught one or two. Not when I’ve released undersize fish that I could have taken home to make a limit. Not when I’ve bitten my lip and released a big breeding female. Not when I’ve taken less than my limit (but could have kept more) because the freezer already had several feeds of fish in it.

By the way, I’ve got all the goodies: depth finder, temp gauge, GPS – all the modern gadgetry – and I know where to fish. But if they ain’t biting they just ain’t. It’s like the old ‘Bits and Bites’ commercial – you never know what you’re gonna get.

I was out day before yesterday and caught two fish. Yesterday, I was skunked. If I go out tomorrow and catch my legal limit of legal fish, you can bet they’re going to come home with me.

True, there is nothing like the excitement of actually catching a fish, but the pleasure in preparing fish and serving them up to family and/or friends, for a treat the like of which they can’t get anywhere else, surely ranks high in the reasons to go fishing.

Part of the pride in being a fisherman is in providing yourself and your family with food. If all it were was just whipping the water with a lure, or dragging a troll, I wouldn’t do it. Fishing is a little more than just a game, bass tournaments notwithstanding. If I didn’t want to eat some fish, I’d leave the fish alone; it’s too much trouble and I could more easily just go boating --- and buy salmon and sole and tilapia in the grocery store at a fraction of what I pay for gear and gas and bait.

I used to find duck hunting terribly exciting - a lot more exciting than fishing - but I gave up duck hunting because I don't really like to eat duck, and neither does my family.

As long as I respect the fishing regulations I feel zero guilt about bringing home a feed of fish.

Sorry if this post sounds more passionate than respectful, but that's the way I see it.

Yup... pike are great eating if cleaned right and bass.. well I love them before they get wormy.. ate one a couple of weeks ago. I've also said this before, that there is a bit of a difference in the way northerners and southerners treat fishing, not that there's anything wrong with that. AND this is a GENERALIZATION, but northerners tend to fish for fish, while alot of southerners fish for sport.

Once again thats a generalization. Now since this boards inception Ive learned more about catch and release than I ever would have thought. I used to be a catch and keep all angler, and over the years Ive graduated to a catch and keep what I am going to immediately consume. I've gone from poo pooing bass and pike, to eating them more than pickerel (mainly cause I'm a lousy pickerel fisherman.. lol) I routinely go out and fish without the intention of keeping any. BUT everyone fishes for a different reason. My dads 75 and it drives him nuts when I tell him I caught fish and didn't bring any home.. he cant understand the justification for all the trouble if you not gonna bring any home.. hes from the north, from another generation.

I eat lots of pike and bass.. cause they are good to eat, pike is EASY to clean and, they are much more plentiful than pickerel. Vist me at lakir.. and Ill feed you some pike thats better than most peoples pickerel!!

It's not North vs. South. It's city slicker vs. country bumpkin. The difference between gathering up your food yourself or running to the supermart. I grew up in that subsistance culture and I spent 20 years living in Toronto. I was only too happy to leave the urban environment.

I still C&R but I still take enough for the table on a regular basis.

By the way, where is this shortage of fish in FMZ 17. I find lots of fish every time I'm out that way.

It's not North vs. South. It's city slicker vs. country bumpkin. The difference between gathering up your food yourself or running to the supermart. I grew up in that subsistance culture and I spent 20 years living in Toronto. I was only too happy to leave the urban environment.

I still C&R but I still take enough for the table on a regular basis.

By the way, where is this shortage of fish in FMZ 17. I find lots of fish every time I'm out that way.

That brings up something that I have wondered about before. The MNR bases a lot of their findings based on the various types of trap netting they do at different times of the year, but are the samplings they get in the nets enough to form the basis of the regulations they put forth? I assume somewhere there are years of studies to prove it all, but there are a lot of factors invloved, weather patterns, water temps, net positioning and so on. I noticed while reading through the document that my favourite pickerel lake didn't have an entry under the the Population Trends and Information section. To someone who doesn't know the lake, you would think that the fishing has really gone downhill, but yet I know the fish are there and good ones to boot.

My dads 75 and it drives him nuts when I tell him I caught fish and didn't bring any home.. he cant understand the justification for all the trouble if you not gonna bring any home.. hes from the north, from another generation.

I guess I'm more of your Dad's generation, TJ, though I'm not quite 60. :)

I learned from my Dad (and my Mom), and to them fishing was a sport and a recreation with a tangible result - fish on the table. So the money spent for recreation had a considerable side benefit. I have that same attitude.

Of course all within the law (the regulations) for the species and the lake, and I think by doing that you respect not only the letter of the law but also the spirit of the law.

Within that, as you say, C&R is a personal choice. One which I use when I feel it's appropriate, which is often enough.

I just finished reading the rest of the thread and I'm surprised by a few of the statements.

Fishing is not golf.

While I can respect the opinion that catch and release is the only personal choice for some, I cannot respect the advocacy of it, especially in terms of us “ruining” the future fishery, and by implication having to feel guilty about bringing a few fish home.

Europe is no good example, no good at all. The European fishery was wrecked long before any regulations were in place to maintain a sustainable harvest. The European experience does not translate to Ontario. Neither does some limited fishery down in a place like Arizona where people are fishing for stocked fish in artificial reservoirs.

We have regulations in place for sustainable harvest, and those regulations have been (and will be, wherever necessary) adjusted to reflect fish populations and pressure on them. That’s the MNR’s job; that and enforcement, of which they do too little to catch people who disrespect the law. (There’s part of the real problem, and one that can lead to depletion.)

If I respect catch limits and size limits and fishing seasons, I am doing exactly what I need to do to follow an expert assessment of what needs to be done so my great-grandkids can catch fish too. Feel guilty about taking home a limit? Not on your life. Not when I’ve fished on days when I’ve gotten skunked or only caught one or two. Not when I’ve released undersize fish that I could have taken home to make a limit. Not when I’ve bitten my lip and released a big breeding female. Not when I’ve taken less than my limit (but could have kept more) because the freezer already had several feeds of fish in it.

By the way, I’ve got all the goodies: depth finder, temp gauge, GPS – all the modern gadgetry – and I know where to fish. But if they ain’t biting they just ain’t. It’s like the old ‘Bits and Bites’ commercial – you never know what you’re gonna get.

I was out day before yesterday and caught two fish. Yesterday, I was skunked. If I go out tomorrow and catch my legal limit of legal fish, you can bet they’re going to come home with me.

True, there is nothing like the excitement of actually catching a fish, but the pleasure in preparing fish and serving them up to family and/or friends, for a treat the like of which they can’t get anywhere else, surely ranks high in the reasons to go fishing.

Part of the pride in being a fisherman is in providing yourself and your family with food. If all it were was just whipping the water with a lure, or dragging a troll, I wouldn’t do it. Fishing is a little more than just a game, bass tournaments notwithstanding. If I didn’t want to eat some fish, I’d leave the fish alone; it’s too much trouble and I could more easily just go boating --- and buy salmon and sole and tilapia in the grocery store at a fraction of what I pay for gear and gas and bait.

I used to find duck hunting terribly exciting - a lot more exciting than fishing - but I gave up duck hunting because I don't really like to eat duck, and neither does my family.

As long as I respect the fishing regulations I feel zero guilt about bringing home a feed of fish.

Sorry if this post sounds more passionate than respectful, but that's the way I see it.

Most of what you said I don't have a problem with. However...

Like I said before...The regs were not designed solely with the well-being of the fishery itself in mind. They are (at best) a compromise between what is best for the fishery and what best facilatates commerce. Like it or not, Capitalism is king in this country and certain people's economic self-interest will always trump what's best for the whole. Saying "I don't break the regs, therefore I'm not a strain on the system," is a little like saying "It's not my fault those kittens I stuffed in a sack and threw in the river don't know how to swim." It's kind of funny how people have such blind faith in the government's ability to properly manage the fishery...do you have as much faith in that same government to properly spend your tax dollars? I do not.

Secondly, as far as having to "bite your lip" to avoid slaughtering a "big breeding female" or not keeping fish when your freezer is already full...Do you want a freakin' hero biscuit? Not keeping the big breeders, and not stuffing your freeezer full is a no-brainer. Sorry if that sounds more passionate than respectful, but that's how I see it.

Lastly, if the prospect of spending a day pursueing the sport of fishing and not catching fish you can stuff your freezer with is "too much trouble"...maybe you should consider a different pastime. Angling is not for everyone, maybe you're one of those people.

Edited by Fishnwire

Guest steel'n'esox

I also prefer to catch and release in most cases, but also do my own tagging as well, cutting the cheeks out of 25inch plus walleyes and letting them go to swim another day JUST KIDDING :D

Like I said before...The regs were not designed solely with the well-being of the fishery itself in mind. They are (at best) a compromise between what is best for the fishery and what best facilatates commerce.

Oh really. Here on Nipissing the sport fishery has seen a reduced limit and a slot size directly because heavy winter fishing through outfitters, and a native commercial and sustenance fishery for walleye, have required it in order to maintain fish stocks. Everybody has a stake in it. Deplete the stock and everybody suffers, and everybody knows that. Commerce and sport are not separate issues. They all fish out of the same "pool".

Like it or not, Capitalism is king in this country and certain people's economic self-interest will always trump what's best for the whole. Saying "I don't break the regs, therefore I'm not a strain on the system," is a little like saying "It's not my fault those kittens I stuffed in a sack and threw in the river don't know how to swim."

That's a poor analogy, but I wonder what makes you so cocksure that your perception is correct? Your politics?

It's kind of funny how people have such blind faith in the government's ability to properly manage the fishery...do you have as much faith in that same government to properly spend your tax dollars? I do not.

That's a whole other issue for a political forum which, I gather, this is not.

Secondly, as far as having to "bite your lip" to avoid slaughtering a "big breeding female" or not keeping fish when your freezer is already full...Do you want a freakin' hero biscuit? Not keeping the big breeders, and not stuffing your freeezer full is a no-brainer.

Figure of speech, sir. If a twinge of regret at letting a big fish go, especially when you haven't had much other success, isn't in your hard-wiring, then so be it. And I didn't write my post for my (or your) edification. I was describing what I do and how I see things. I think that's one of the purposes of this forum, unless I mistake the intent.

Lastly, if the prospect of spending a day pursueing the sport of fishing and not catching fish you can stuff your freezer with is "too much trouble"...maybe you should consider a different pastime. Angling is not for everyone, maybe you're one of those people.

I didn't talk about "stuffing my freezer", did I. Don't try to put words in my mouth to make your case. And if you don't like my philosophy of "catch and (selective) keep", I won't lose sleep over continuing to do what I do. Like someone else above, you seem to be easy with trying to lay on a guilt trip when someone doesn't see it your way.

Sorry if that sounds more passionate than respectful, but that's how I see it.

Well thanks for the reply. Now that I'm finished responding, I'll file it.

Not when I’ve taken less than my limit (but could have kept more) because the freezer already had several feeds of fish in it.

Well here's the issue with this. If you've got fish in your freezer they count towards your possession limit, which is usually the same as your daily limit. So legally you cannot keep your limit that day. If you've got a freezer with several feeds already in it and bring home more it really sounds like you're over your possession limit, which is breaking the law.

Edited by timmeh

Well here's the issue with this. If you've got fish in your freezer they count towards your possession limit, which is usually the same as your daily limit. So legally you cannot keep your limit that day. If you've got a freezer with several feeds already in it and bring home more it really sounds like you're over your possession limit, which is breaking the law.

I have several feeds of perch at home now (about 10 perch) so that means I can still bring home 40 more.

If I have 4 pickerel in the freezer and I bring home 6 pike, or 2 lake trout, or 50 perch, or any combination of those, how does that put me over the limit?

Yes, I know all about catch and possession. And no, I never have that many fish in my freezer. :) They go pretty quickly, especially in the summer for family fish fry's.

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny

JP Jonny...I can't use the quote function as proficiently as you, so I'll have to clear up what I was saying without it.

I know "Commerce and sport are not separate issues.". But some people are more corcerned with short term commercial growth than the long term enjoyment of the sport.

As far as my politics go...I'm not a commie or something, but you don't have to be to recognize that a lot of the time the government doesn't always make the best policy decisions. Do you agree with the current government's stand on gun regulation? Separate forum or not, they do make mistakes, right? I'm just asking why people are so eager to asume that expert minds have made brilliant decisions as far as sport fishery management goes. "The governement says me taking a certain amount of fish from a particular body of water every day won't hurt the fishery. They MUST be right." Does that sound right?

"stuffing your freezer," may have been going a little far on my part. But you did mention your freezer having "several feds in it." Why is it so hard to resist putting (possibly stuffing...sorry) more fillets in there if you're next few meals are taken care of? Like I said before, go ahead and keep your legal limit of fish. I have no problem with that. But if you think that doing so on a regular basis doesn't have a detremental effect on other's ability to enjoy the sport, you're deluding yourself.

That whole " Sorry if that sounds more passionate than respectful, but that's how I see it." was quoted from your post. I didn't mean to disrespect you when I said it, but was attempting to find commen ground. I apolagize if that wasn't clear.

I know nobody who enjoys doing so will "lose a night's sleep" over keeping their legal limit of fish. Nor should they. Every licenced angler who feels the need to do so should be able to fish for, and keep, their legal limit of fish on any occassion. I would vigerously defend their right to do so. However, if they try to tell me that a lot of fisherman doing so doesn't have a negative impact on the fishery, and by extention, other's ability to enjoy the sport, I'd know they were wrong, and wonder why they couldn't see more clearly.

Honestly, I don't want to get adversarial. I keep fish for food, and I know that a percentage of the fish that I "live release" end up perishing as a direct result of their encounter with me. I guess my point is that I'm aware that I'm having an impact on the resource and I try to minimize that impact. And I sure don't go around thinking that harvesting my limit of fish (let alone fishing itself) on a regular basis doesn't affect fish stocks.

I just need one or two, 3-4 pounders for a good meal. If I am not going to eat them all right away, they go back. I never keep any over 4 pounds. (even 4 is pushing, 2 or 3 pounders are better)

If for some reason I have any frozen fillets at home.. I keep none!

weekend fisherman who fish for a bite, tend to keep their limit if given the chance..

species specific fisherman do not keep their limit, they keep a few for lunch and the rest go back.

Tournament fisherman let everything go... after the weigh in!

Perch fisherman keep their limit every time!

Trophy hunters, will ocasionaly keep a couple eaters, but mostly let em go so they can grow..

Musky fisherman treat their fish like gods of the freshwaters and never keep one, and should they accidently kill one, they go to confession at the muskies canada meetings.

Saltwater sport anglers dont even have a clue what the limit is...

ice fisherman, freeze their buts off.

foreign anglers are seen filling their buckets to the top with all kins of fish regardless of the limits or seasons.

what was the question again? oh, yes Bass taste great!