Testing Outboard Gas

muddler

Well I finally fix up my trailer and got the Merc on the transom. I went to fill up the gas can and it was almost full already. I'm not 100% sure that I put a stabalizer in to it in the fall. So here's my question. Is there any easy way to test the gas to see if it has gone bad? If not them I'll have to dump like 20L.

Thanks In Advance.

Muddler

The fuel can be tested with the use of a reid vapor pressure test kit; a lot of shops that are involved in the Drive Clean emissions testing & repair program will have this kit. They will likely want to charge something like 25 or 30 bucks to run the test; so for your small amount of fuel; I don’t think it would be worth it for you?

The garages use this test while looking for strange/hard to find drivability issues; ensuring that the issue isn’t contaminated fuel.

As for dumping stale/tarnished fuel into your vehicle; I not so sure that would be a good idea either.

Depending on your vehicle it could cause damage to the fuel delivery system (fuel pumps & injectors); as in plugging them up or cause injectors to stick or leak, if this tarnish gets trapped at the nozzle of the injector.

O2 sensors could also become damaged; due to the contamination of the stale fuel. If this happens to be a newer vehicle it could have anywhere from 2 to 6 O2 sensors. If they happen to be wide band O2’s; they could run anywhere from 2-6 hundred buck each.

Most communities have a waist collection depot; where you can take this fuel for proper disposal or recycling. If I were unsure of this fuels condition that’s where I would be taking it.

Dan.

I won't run stale fuel in any thing thats injected.

Fuels for combustion engines have lubricants add.

Thees lube are for the lower part of the injector where the oiling system

dos not lube.

With stale fuel there is a very good chance the lubricant's have also broken down.

The only place I'd run it, is a ready mix engine thats carbed.

which is not a good place either.

Thanks again guys. I guess I'll get some fresh stuff and play it safe. I was hoping that there was a a real easy way to tell/test it.

Now I'm set for the weekend and rain is the forecast here and I just wshed the car too.

muddler