R.I.P -Peter Zezel

Crazyhook

I was very shocked to hear this...I had no idea he was fighting a condition...

His heart and soul on the team back in the early 90s left an impression with me for sure...he wasn't on the Dougie line...but when he was out there, you knew we'd be winning faceoffs...and he wasn't afraid to go into corners. 9 times out or 10, he'd win those board battles...

RIP Peter...

I had the amazing opportunity to learn from him in private training years ago.

He was a good friend of my Aunt whom was a reporter for the Toronto Sun at the time, and Peter had some

Interest in meeting one of Toronto's elite 2n'd page features(I know they are no longer on the 2nd page, but they used to be)

She struck a deal,

And my 4 brothers & I were given first hand insight into his Face-off arts at the Gardens, and learned a lot about the game from Peter.

Some of the coolest things I learned were actually not about Hockey at all but rather the rivalry between players in the league.

Fact,

Peters least favourite player to face off against...Gary Roberts

Why?

Because Gary would always bury his head really low in the circle blocking his opponents view, and giving him access to fall on the puck if a scrum in sued.

Peters solution to this issue...

Let him win the first 5 face offs in the first period...but elbow him or butt end him in the head EVERY SINGLE TIME in an "attempt" at getting the puck.

Peter said Gary would usually get so frustrated he'd be taking penalties by the 10min mark, and would definitely not be sticking his head in there by the 2nd so Peter would clean house after that LOL!

(And for the record Peter fought Gary, more then any other opponent in his career 4x more then anyone else)

Another thing that made him a special guy, was his determined Spirit.

Peter Made the cut for the Toronto Marles at a walk on try out....he had never played contact hockey before.

He started playing non contact House league hockey at age 12 which is an incredibly late start, but he was determined to transfer his skills

as a seasoned Soccer player into the tough game of Hockey.

Its safe to say that he made the transition nicely,

If you study his face off technique you'll notice his ability to stick tie up his opponents stick....where he then kicks the puck to his line mates.

Never forgot his roots I suppose!

The info I learned from Peter on the Face off was amazing...

My Time spent with him increased my Face-off stats 100%

But what’s more is he was truly a genuine nice Guy.

He spent time with us, and spent time just talking after the lessons with My Dad, and Uncle shooting the breeze about life.

He was constantly and actively involved in Charitable, and local community events while in Toronto.

A true ambassador of the game, and a role model for kids.

I can proudly say the secrets learned from him not only made me a better player, but In my years as a coach I have passed his lessons on to the kids I've taught and I think he'd be proud to see his lessons living on today in the youth of his favourite game.

Whole lot of heart, not the most talented is how I remember Zezel. Pretty sure he was #25 playing alongside Mark Osborne and Ed Olczyk. Every time he went into the corners the play-by-play guys would talk about his soccer skills as he mucked around trying to get the puck out! I don't remember yesterday but I remember those dang soccer references every Saturday night!