Trailer tires again...

evster

So I finally found some trailer tires and new rims for my boat trailer. Its just a light trailer with a 14 footer on it. I changed the tires out today and took it for a spin but I am getting lots of vibration when i'm at about 50 km/h. I didn't push it past that to see if the vibration stops.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this? Do I need to have the new tires balanced? I only took it around the block and didn't want to go much further since it was vibrating. I jacked it up and both tires spin easily. I will probably change the bearings this week as well, could that cause it?

Any help is much appreciated!

one trick... depending if you know which tire.. of if its both... drain the air,, break the bead.. turn the tire a little on the rim, and then reinflate.

Also check your tire pressure, if its too high you could get vibration also.

can you wiggle the tires up and down and left to right with play if so you should get new bearing kit

I will have to check it again tomorrow, but i'm pretty sure it wouldn't budge left or right or up and down, but it did give a little if I pushed it straight towards the trailer. Does this indicate that new bearings are needed? It was rolling fine two weeks ago before the one tire went flat, do I maybe not have it on tight enough?

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to give an update in case anyone comes across this in the future...

I called around to a ton of places and most of them either told me trailer tires don't need to be balanced (and they don't do them) or they just simply won't balance them for my. I was pretty surprised and disappointed. Well don't let them ever tell you trailer tires don't need to be balanced!!! I finally found a shop that would do it for me, a bit of a drive but worth it. They were extremely out of balance, one tire took about 4 ounces and the other tire took about 3 ounces. Most weight I have ever seen on a tire. Anyway, after getting that done the vibration stopped and the trailer is pulling perfectly.

Thanks for the input!

Evan