Living in the North NF(Pic Heavy)

Zubris21

Well the rivers are very high and dirty so I've had to find some other ways to pass the time. Last Monday one of the other teachers and I hiked up a mountain not far out of town. Here is some scenery for you...

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

Found these tracks along the way and can't figure out what they are... any ideas?

IMG_0486.jpg

Same tracks, for some reason there was 1 small section with these odd lines.

IMG_0488.jpg

Close Up..

IMG_0489.jpg

Shortly after we saw this guy... could they be his??

IMG_0499.jpg

A while later we came across these as well. I know what they are, but can you figure out which elusive animal they belong too?

IMG_0505.jpg

Yesterday we headed out to scout out some fishing spots for the upcoming salmon run. Decided along the way to hike part way down the Grand Canyon of the Stikine. More scenery for you...

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

While eating lunch we spotted this white spot across the canyon...

IMG_0520.jpg

so we zoomed in, and saw what we thought was a nice sized Billy...

IMG_0523.jpg

After waiving our arms and shouting it finally stood up for a pose. Turns out what we thought was a Billy was actually a Nanny with a small Kid, probably less than a couple weeks old.

IMG_0537.jpg

After a while they decided to amble on...

IMG_0541.jpg

Ended up driving a lot further than we expected and made it too the small town of Glenora where we found this nice beach. Glenora is famous for its small population of hippies that lived here during the draft dodging days. Met up with a fellow from Dease Lake who took us on a jet boat ride to check his salmon nets but unfortunately they were empty.

IMG_0555.jpg

This morning I got a call from another fellow teacher. He told me a truck had gone over and to get there quick. Turns out the semi was filled with frozen Sockeye salmon on its way South from Alaska. The driver swerved to avoid a car and ended up on his side. Fortunately no one was hurt, but something had to happen with the salmon. If it was left it would have gone bad, and given our remote location getting another truck there just wasn't feasible. So the whole town was out emptying this truck. People were leaving with pickups filled. Ended up with 8 full sized frozen Sockeye.

IMG_5171.jpg

-Andre

Wow, great report and amazing pictures, thanks for taking the time to put it up, its HIGHLY appreciated! I especially like the pictures of the Billy Goats, I've watched a few documentaries about them and find them to be quite amazing.

Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing those. Love the goat pics. That's great about the salmon, those will be very tasty. I was wondering if maybe those weird tracks are an animal carrying some dead prey maybe?

Joey

I was wondering if maybe those weird tracks are an animal carrying some dead prey maybe?

Joey

I was wondering the same thing... or if it was a bird that decided to spread its wings for a bit.

Couldn't tell if the first tracks were pigeoned towed or not, could not see any definite foot prints, it was more like a shuffle.

The second set is indeed a wolverine great work!

Awesome report and pics Andre :thumbsup_anim:

You are so lucky to be leaving in that beautiful environment!!! Really enjoyed all of the scenery shots B)

Thanks for taking the time to put this report together and sharing it with us

Leechman