does mono cast further than braid (same diameter)??

sandmann

same diameter, mono and braid will cast almost same.

same lbs, mono will cast less than braid, since braid will have ~4-5 times smaller diameter.

10lb braid has same diamter as 2lb mono.

Edited by efka

This is one of those questions where it really depends on the person, the type of braid they are using, and the conditions you are fishing.

IMO, the both of these lines cast just as far as each other when you use a two handed overhand cast (on spinning gear).

But supposedly, mono is supposed to be the winner when it comes to casting distance. I'm assuming the difference between the two would only be measurable with the computer, and barely noticeable by yourself.

I bet it depends heavily on the type (some monos are super limp, others not so much), reel (baitcasting vs. spinning), rod (stiff vs. springy), and type of cast.

Either way, the difference is likely tiny.

But as another pointed out, the lb test is the difference-maker (10lb mono is way thicker than 10lb braid)

ok i will get into this one.....braid when propperly spolled and back wrapped will cast farther then mono(normal mono)....i only use fireline as braid....some mono will cast good but not as good....exspensive mono specific for casting will cast farther then braid....heres one for some of u guys to think im crazy...spray WD 40 on ur spool...then watch it cast...omg..and no it wont eat ur line.....been spraying my rods and line with it for years...and ive got mono on some spools 10-12lb test that have been soaked in it for near 10 years and i have never snapped on a fish yet....dont spray in ur reels though...if u do then dont use grease or oil after as they dont mix....when ice fishin only use wd40 on ur reels as it doesnt freeze...on level winds the wd trick is awesome as it cuts down backlashes and when u do get one they come right out in a sec!!!!

A few nights bored on a pier at night with no salmon I did a few comparisons.

1) Braid far outcasts similar lb/test mono, it's not even close.

2) Mono outcasts braid of similiar diameter. Again not even close, but you need to drop to 8lb mono against 20lb PowerPro.

I'll take the 200m of 20lb Tuf-Line with all the advantages of braid instead of 8lb Silver Thread thank you (Silver Thread was a better caster than Ande and smokes anything made by Trilene/Stren).

Does mono cast further than braid (same diameter)??

TIA

I would think that the actual weight of the line would be one of the key factors as well, friction being another (I'm thinking new "slick" braid vs old worn braid)

Example:

If a metre of .05mm braid weighs 2.5grams and a metre of .05mm mono weighs 2 grams. (Weights and widths for demonstration only)

I would think, but don't know, that braid is heavier.

No answers from me, just more info to discuss.

to say it again braid is better but it will eat ur rod and reel.....this new mono is now eating my tips...going throug 1 to 3 tips a year...i fish a lot though

The question was not what is better but what casts farther. Quality lines guides are now made to stand up to braid.

The question was not what is better but what casts farther. Quality lines guides are now made to stand up to braid.

when i said better i meant will cast farther...line guides...well ya but only on my rods that are 250-300 plus dollars...which is too much for a rod

It means ...I don't know what you mean by saying it will eat your rod and reels... :dunno:

If you do alot of trolling with cheap Crappy Tire rods the braid rubbing in one place will start to chew through the tip. Casting isn't that much of a problem, only if the braid is constantly rubbing one spot.