Rivets vs Stainless ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone.

Well... there hasnt been much work done to the boat... other than all the cracks are now welded and ready to go.

Nows its time to get the transom brace back into place. There were 20 rivets holding it on.

boatupdate1046.jpg

You can kind of see in the pic what Im talking about.... this was the best one I could find, sorry !

Now we cant seem to find a proper rivet gun ANY WHERE.... only pop rivets.. and for obvious reasons, those wont work. Also neither myself or my Grandpa have ANY experience with rivets. I know everyone says

"just use some heavy hammers." Well, as fun as that sounds :huh: I dont want to start pounding away and potentially mess up and have to drill out rivets and start over and :blahblah1:

My idea was to use stainless bolts inplace of the rivets. Sealed with some 3M 5200. Then with steel flex afterwards. :dunno:

My local dealer said that would be fine, I just wanted to get your opinions on it ?

The other plus to doing it this way is that if need be, the brace can be removed fairly easily....

What do you think ?

Edited by Lunker777

Ok I was a sheet metal worker for 25 years---here's my opinion

I first would be concerned about your welds---alum cracks easily if not done correctly--I'm assuming you looked into this. that boat will flex to a degree on the water.

Those rivets you seek are Aluminum hammer rivets---I suggest for the small fee a shop would charge to hammer them in it would be worth it---most boat repair shops use a pneumatic setter.

You mentioned bolts----anytime you trust a thread not working loose is a challenge---remember the stresses your boat will take---rough water etc.

Here's something a lot of people forget---stainless is non corrovive but certain types can be more brittle than even regular steel---it works great on transducers etc but under load and vibration I would take care---ask yourself if it was this easy and good the boat manufacturers would do it instead of what they do.

If your planning on taking children in this boat I would make sure these bases are covered---please have the life jackets on.

Hope this helps

Bushart

I think more info is needed first. Like how big is this boat. What HP motor are you intending on using. What bodies of water will this vessel be used on. If all the answers are on the small side I would go fishing in it...... but if your thinking on a high horse power outboard and you will be fishing Lake Erie I will stay on shore and fish if you don't mind... :)

Edited by Billy Bob

I think more info is needed first. Like how big is this boat. What HP motor are you intending on using. What bodies of water will this vessel be used on. If all the answers are on the small side I would go fishing in it...... but if your thinking on a high horse power outboard and you will be fishing Lake Erie I will stay on shore and fish if you don't mind... :)

wells its a 14.5 aluminum with an 18HP merc on the back... I plan on using it in rondeau bay and small lakes up north when we go to the cottage.

you can get the rivets at Maple City marine I dont know what they charge to install them we did our own like you said just use a hammer and another metal object I used a small anvil "METAL ON METAL" LOL sorry flash back. hold the one side very firmly and softly tap the rivet from the other until it smushes down tight. Check and see if Merrit marine will do the work or Chatham Marine these two I would recomend or do you have one at work? I would think one of the guys could help you out.

you can get the rivets at Maple City marine I dont know what they charge to install them we did our own like you said just use a hammer and another metal object I used a small anvil "METAL ON METAL" LOL sorry flash back. hold the one side very firmly and softly tap the rivet from the other until it smushes down tight. Check and see if Merrit marine will do the work or Chatham Marine these two I would recomend or do you have one at work? I would think one of the guys could help you out.

Hey Mike..

I was told that Fentons would be a good spot to go to. My grandpa went to maple city and they didn't really give him any answers.

I never thought to try Merritt marine.. GOOD THINKING hahah I guess as a last resort ill have to go with the " METAL ON METAL" as you would say hahah

Oh by the way.... My uncle surprised me with a brand new deep cycle battery today when I stopped in for lunch !!! looks like I'm all powered up for the trolling motor ! aha thanks again !