First Fish of 2009

Mike the Pike

Well like most of you I was itching to get out on the water after a dissapointing season on the hard water.The only 2 outings were skunks.

Over the winter I decided to change my motor on my boat I had made the mistake of not maxing out my Horse power on the new boat last year .

So my 2000 50hp had to go.The tiller arm was perfect for my old boat a Lund SSV 18 footer but a rather uncomfortable reach in the new boat.

Honda wanted $650 for a longer tiller arm plus tax plus labor for install ouch :wallbash:

I decided to go with a 60 Yamaha 4 Stroke of course it has a new feature on the tiller handle that allows me to drop 500 RPM'S in 50 rpm incraments with the touch of a button.This allows me to troll under 1mph if needed.The new tiller handle is almost as comfortable as a side console .Just more comfortable for trolling.

Gone is the old manual choke and carburators.Just a turn of the key and hello fuel injection.The new motor pushes the boat with ease where as the Honda was borderline especially getting up on plane.

Anyway enough of the tech motor crap.I actually caught a fish for the first time this year.

Had to work a Graphic arts show in Montreal so I missed out on the nice weather saturday.

Sunday was my only option so I headed to Lake Massawippi Quebec in the Eastern Townships near Magog.

Got up a 3am and hit the road at 3:30 meeting up with good friend GlennK and Serge at Timmies.

We launched at 6am and I caught the only fish of the day at 6:45 am.Caught on a 3 inch Reef Runner purple in 9ft of water.

After that I had to avoid many trolling boat bozo's one that annoyed me kept getting to close.

I knew these guys had no boating experience trying to troll with an electric motor in 3 foot rollers.

I was trolling with my bow mount and my kicker motor which provides excellent boat control btw when it is choppy.

Some how the driver came quickly over my way I tried to avoid him but one of the 3 managed to get his steel line all wrapped around my electric motor.So I stayed calm because we have all been there done that before.So I asked the guy is that a new boat .Yes he said of course .He said sorry and said he realized trolling in 3 foot chop with an electric bow mount is very difficult.No kidding Dah :wallbash::asshat: The other thing I didn't understand was trolling with wire line in 10 feet of water :dunno:

Enough said on with the pics.

IMG_0350_1-1.jpg

My young 10 year old son excited about the day to come even though we only slept 3 hrs.

IMG_0347_1-1.jpg

My first ever Lake Trout a new species to add to my list.

IMG_0349_1_1.jpg

IMG_0361_1-1.jpg

Well the 3 hours sleep was not enough for my little man it tooks it toll and he passed out for 2 hours that is.

IMG_0362_1.jpg

I figure he didn't out fish me this time cause he was out for the count.

IMG_0358_1.jpg

The sun did come out it warmed up.I now have a couple of riggers thanks to Percher who got me a

smokin deal on them last year .I learned how to use them not without a first half hour of frustration but I finally got the hand of it.

Should have paid attention when Percher took us out On lake O.

We tried riggers for a while the fish were there but no takers.

IMG_0365_1-1.jpg

IMG_0370_1-1.jpg

friends GlennK and Serge

IMG_0373_1.jpg

IMG_0372_1-1.jpg

IMG_0371_1-1.jpg

IMG_0367_1.jpg

GetAttachmentRyanandMikeMassawippi.jpg

GetAttachmentRyanandDad2.jpg

IMG_0375_1.jpg

Looking forward to Bay of Quinte next weekend.

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

Probably popped the son's rod while he was sleeping!!!!! :D:D

...oh and turn off that damn fish id on the Lowrance...

Good idea for his rod Wayne but I paid for all that tackle $$$$$$$.Can't you see the valume worked and I cuaght the fish.lol

As for fish idea I am still illiterate when it comes to these high tech fish finders I may get up the nerve to go back to those arches some time soon.

Great report Mike nice fish it looks like you got every thing

set up in your boat just right

Rob

Well thanks Rob for those pics you sent me of your down rigger set up .It gave me some ideas where to put them .I wanted to see how how they looked at the stern of the boat.Percher had another snapshot for the downrigger more towards the bow just in front of the Rod storage.

Now all I have to do is catch some salmon.Hopefully I will see you in may going salmon fishing may 22,24,25 with Percher.

Mike

Still steering your boat from the "trunk of the car" Mike???... haven't you learned anything from your cousin Dan yet???

You see he let the "tiller" go when he won the "console" in the "Over-Growed Minner" derby eh?!!!.. there's a reason for that Fat Boy!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

... tillerz sux and consolelz rule!!! :w00t::clapping:

... give the little froglet 2 Tylenol extra strength before every trip and you won't have to worry aboot him "outfishing" you!!!... YOU may even catch decent fish!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::clapping:

nice report Mike

where did ya get those rod holders are they 'LUND' ?

Downeasters only fit on the transom of my Classic SS .

tb

Dave.. do you have the sport trac accessory slots on your Lund Gunnel??? If so.. drop by again.. I have a pair of the straight sliders and a pair of angled sliders.. both with ram holders... that I never use and will part with for minimal damage.

Edited by irishfield

nice report Mike

where did ya get those rod holders are they 'LUND' ?

Downeasters only fit on the transom of my Classic SS .

tb

No Dave there not Lund Holders they are Scotty's.I didn't want the ones from Lund.

When I bought my boat last year 4 sport trak mounts were included with the boat.It also came with one rod holder and one cup holder.

I asked the dealer for 2 scotty's instead.If Wayne has some sport traks for a good deal you should scoop them.Don't tell me you don't use the sport trak system.

You manage to fit salty rod holders on the back transom. send me pics please I can't my salty's to fit on my transom it is too thick.

:dunno: