Quebec Reds Bucket Mouth

Fishing 24/7

Fantastic fish. You're buddy should be proud of that catch.

Gotta ask though guys.... 24/7 - you and WhiteSpinner are fishing buds, right??? Sometimes I believe you were and now you're not. I tend to also believe that WSBait has shown you a few great spots over the years and now you're out sharing them with others...??? Is this right?

I don't read everything posted so maybe I just catch the odd tidbit that makes me think this way. WSB, you sometimes come across as upset by 24/7's good catches from some places??? Is this why?

Doods, no need to answer publically or at all if you don't want. I was just curious as I seem to recall some other times in other posts when you two were at odds.

Many stocked lakes are really isolated......and sometimes very sizable fish. I remember a particular little lake (more like a pond) in Algonquin that had a bunch of 3-4 lb specks dumped into it one spring. Unfortunately it was fished out pretty quickly.

would a stocked trout lake..... with time... be able to reproduce ???

cause if this lake IS stocked....... they seem to be reproducing....

iv been there 3 years now and i never saw no one stocking this lake.

whens the best time to stock a lake???

not in the middle of summer i supose. with the hot water and all.................................

i realy want to know .

any trout biologist other than whitespinnerbait on this forum???

Many stocked lakes are really isolated......and sometimes very sizable fish. I remember a particular little lake (more like a pond) in Algonquin that had a bunch of 3-4 lb specks dumped into it one spring. Unfortunately it was fished out pretty quickly.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I know a similar lake in Algonquin.

Good probability it's the same lake, a tiny lake adjacent to Galeairy Lake.

I fished it 18 years ago shortly after they dumped the brood stock in and we caught some monsters. :)

Unfortunately word spread and it was fished out.

would a stocked trout lake..... with time... be able to reproduce ???

I can tell you what I know from my experience.

A few years back I heard rumours of a small lake with huge brookies in the Elk Lake region of northern ontario.

Apparantly it was a lake that the mnr stocked and used to entertain certain privelaged bigwigs.

They even built a cabin on the lake to house there guests.

I was told that they'd stopped stocking the lake years ago, tore down the cabin and that there was a remnant population of few but usually large fish.

Of course I had to investigate. :)

With extreme difficulty I bushwhacked in with camping gear and canoe and the stories turned out to be true.

I camped at the site of the old cabin and caught a dozen or so fish between 4 and 6lbs. Had one on that still haunts me to this day, I figure that fish was 8 plus.

Anyhow, most stocked lakes aren't able to sustain populations of fish when stocking has ended. Without upwelling springs they're simply not able to.

Some stocked lakes like the one I fished have a marginal ability to reproduce. Because the reproduction is so limited the few that do hatch and survive usually grow to enormous sizes. They just don't have the competition for food.

I can tell you what I know from my experience.

A few years back I heard rumours of a small lake with huge brookies in the Elk Lake region of northern ontario.

Apparantly it was a lake that the mnr stocked and used to entertain certain privelaged bigwigs.

They even built a cabin on the lake to house there guests.

I was told that they'd stopped stocking the lake years ago, tore down the cabin and that there was a remnant population of few but usually large fish.

Of course I had to investigate. :)

With extreme difficulty I bushwhacked in with camping gear and canoe and the stories turned out to be true.

I camped at the site of the old cabin and caught a dozen or so fish between 4 and 6lbs. Had one on that still haunts me to this day, I figure that fish was 8 plus.

Anyhow, most stocked lakes aren't able to sustain populations of fish when stocking has ended. Without upwelling springs they're simply not able to.

Some stocked lakes like the one I fished have a marginal ability to reproduce. Because the reproduction is so limited the few that do hatch and survive usually grow to enormous sizes. They just don't have the competition for food.

this makes perfect sense to me....

this lake we are fishing is spring fed...... TONS of minnows may flies....salamander ext....

no wonder...

ITS ALL CLEAR NOW! :D

thanx

WSB, you sometimes come across as upset by 24/7's good catches from some places???

Hey Moose....

One thing you never want to do is witness 24/7 and I out fishing for bass or pike together...........

The name calling between us would bring a grown man to tears... :wacko: :wacko: :w00t:

P.S. never been at odds , just ribbing each other :wub:

Wayne nailed, they fly 'em in. As far as fin clipping goes they do indeed clip the adipose and even partial clips of the dorsal fin (some do get missed in the process). Changing the fin clip each year allows them to identify when it was stocked, thus allowing growth and health info to be gathered.

Specks can under ideal conditions spawn in upwelling springs as long as they can expose clean gravel that doesn't silt over before the eggs hatch. A friend has a cottage on a spring lake where I've wittnessed this many times. The trout will expose clean gravel on the lake bed where springs well up. Mind you these are wild specks and this trait is inherit, stockers may not do well in this type of situation.

As far as splake or brookie? Even to the trained eye it can be difficult. Check these links.

http://www.couplesresort.ca/Attractions/Ar...ish/Splake.html

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsF...age/200080.html

The thing to do would be to contact the local MNR and request stocking information on the lake, they will give it to you.

I will say it again though, they are all magnificent fish. :thumbsup_anim:

Wayne nailed, they fly 'em in. As far as fin clipping goes they do indeed clip the adipose and even partial clips of the dorsal fin (some do get missed in the process). Changing the fin clip each year allows them to identify when it was stocked, thus allowing growth and health info to be gathered.

Specks can under ideal conditions spawn in upwelling springs as long as they can expose clean gravel that doesn't silt over before the eggs hatch. A friend has a cottage on a spring lake where I've wittnessed this many times. The trout will expose clean gravel on the lake bed where springs well up. Mind you these are wild specks and this trait is inherit, stockers may not do well in this type of situation.

As far as splake or brookie? Even to the trained eye it can be difficult. Check these links.

http://www.couplesresort.ca/Attractions/Ar...ish/Splake.html

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsF...age/200080.html

The thing to do would be to contact the local MNR and request stocking information on the lake, they will give it to you.

I will say it again though, they are all magnificent fish. :thumbsup_anim:

thanx alot spiel....

never seen any other fins clipped on any other specks we have caught tho...

but ill keep a closer look .

listen this speck was HOOKED man . it smashed the lure so hard that i felt the vibration on my TOES!

my cousin brought it in with ALOT of sifficulties in the way .... if this trout had been barely hooked ... it would have been a goner.....................................

but luckely or skillfully.... it was double hooked right in the solid part in the corner mouth.

Just read this... Not sure if my reply was taken the right way.. Not even sure if you speak da french hein?!

I wasn't trying to dispute how the fish was hooked, just hinting to the fact that it must have been quite a triumph to get the thing in..

Awesome brood stock fish!! LOL

Heading back to the Lake in question , this weekend ...

This time all fish will be released like they should have been in the first place..... :stretcher:

i dought that will happen....

cause im planning on getting another super.

and the next week end after that one another super....

so that makes two specks kept.......sorry :rolleyes:

Great fish! I can't say much about stocking, or fin clips. All I know is that none of the stocked brook trout up this way have fin clips. I would imagine, if you really want to find out that you would be able to get a stocking list if you looked hard enough.