French River Provincial Park

addy79

Hi All!

I'm headed to the French River Provincial Park for some fishing in June...

Found out that they dont post the map of the park (with site locations) online!?

Have to purchase one at Mountain Equipment Co-op if i wanna get my hands on one in the city...

Do any of you possibly have a copy you can send me???

would be GREATLY appreciated as i want to see the sites i have to choose from.

Thank you in advance.... :thumbsup_anim:

Adam

you don't "book" sites as you would with the massassauga. sites are on a first come first serve basis

you can pick up a map on your way up, french river trading post sells them. they are just north of the french r. bridge on hwy 69. or go to mec.

Thanks Raf!

have you ever had issues getting a site? I'd hate to go all teh way up only to find that there booked, website says they have about 230 sites.

Any info on teh park? I've never been, ususally stay at Casablance lodge, but moneys tight this year so we figured it would be a cheaper alternative.

Never had an issue finding a site - sometimes even next to a all-girls female canoe group. The charge is 7 or 8 bucks/per person/per night & most of the lodges on the river sell the permit.

There may be 230 'official sites' but many more suitable locations that are un-official. None of the sites I've come across have a tent pad - some have a thunderbox and all will have a fire pit made outta rock. Make sure you do get the map; the shoreline's all either Park Land or Native land. The latter of which, you cannot camp on.

Edited by Raf

Adam, are you staying east or west of Hwy 69?

Not sure yet, i need to get a copy of the park map adn see what makes most sense...

do you have any suggestions as to what would be best?

not really familiar with the waters,m have a gps, and a 16ft' with a 25 horse.

Not sure yet, i need to get a copy of the park map adn see what makes most sense...

do you have any suggestions as to what would be best?

not really familiar with the waters,m have a gps, and a 16ft' with a 25 horse.

Go west young man.

Launch at Hartley Bay then head down the western channel to the delta of the Bad River.

It's amazing down there.

A bit tricky to navigate down through the rapids but it can be done, many people do it every day.

First time I went down there it was completely blind and I made out all right. :)

If you do decide to head down there pm me for details on campsites and fishing.

Cheers

Go west young man.

Launch at Hartley Bay then head down the western channel to the delta of the Bad River.

It's amazing down there.

A bit tricky to navigate down through the rapids but it can be done, many people do it every day.

First time I went down there it was completely blind and I made out all right. :)

If you do decide to head down there pm me for details on campsites and fishing.

Cheers

That is an amazing area. My best friend from high school and his family own that marina. They'll take good care of you, that's for sure. Saying that navigating the rapids of the Badd is "a bit tricky" is a little bit of an understatement though, in my opinion. You had better talk to some locals about the details first, know how to pilot a boat, and have a spare prop just in case. That said, it is definately a place you want to see and spend some time at.

Going down the rapids is easy, everyone that tries it makes it in one piece or another, it's being able to come back up the rapids that can be tricky. Get someone that knows the area to show you how first, you'll save yourself a lot of grief.

I've known the Palmers for about 40 years now and they are super people, if you head out of their place (Hartley Bay Lodge) you will have access to some fantastic fishing and plenty of water that you can cover without having to navigate the rapids. As for camping, well, when I lived there we just pitched a tent wherever we wanted. Guess that has all changed now.

Going down the rapids is easy, everyone that tries it makes it in one piece or another, it's being able to come back up the rapids that can be tricky. Get someone that knows the area to show you how first, you'll save yourself a lot of grief.

I've known the Palmers for about 40 years now and they are super people, if you head out of their place (Hartley Bay Lodge) you will have access to some fantastic fishing and plenty of water that you can cover without having to navigate the rapids. As for camping, well, when I lived there we just pitched a tent wherever we wanted. Guess that has all changed now.

Actually Cliff I'm gonna have to disagree with you big time on this.

You've got 150% more control going upstream in the rapids. Going downstream you're almost hurtling out of control waaaay more at the whim of the currents.

The key going downstream is do it under power. Give your motor some gas... If you drift down at the currents speed you won't be able to turn effectively (and there is at least one sharp turn :) )

The very first time I went down there over 20 years ago we stopped at the head of the rapids trying to decide when/how/if we should do it..

While waiting a guide boat zoomed by from Hartley Bay so we just hopped in and followed.

It's pretty easy IMO, but having someone show you the route does make things easier.

The water should still be quite high the time frame you're considering which is a very good thing.

Most hazzards will be burried underwater..

I've never been to the area of the French west of the highway...

The only thing holding me back from exploring this region is that the GPS we have only has hydrographs for the upper french near nipissing.

I will have to search for charts in that area, makes narrowing down the spots a hell of a lot easier.

Thanks all for the input and advice, rest assured i will post a report, unless i catch the skunk bug! :angry:

much appreaciated!

no kidding eh!?!

thats what i figured, you spend all that money on charts, you'd think you would get more of the river!

anyone have any old paper hydrographs or know where i can find em?

going to Mountain Equipment Co-Op afterwork to see what they got