Hook cutter

JohnF

Governator's latest thread and the vid about the Musky/Kayak hook-in-hand scenario got me thinking.

I don't have a lot of confidence in my sidecutters (and I have quite a few) to cut a hook upon which my lily white body is impaled. None of you are familiar enuf with me to know that I cringe at the sight of any blood and swoon like an Atlanta Belle at the sight of my own blood. I have had the pleasure of sharing a treble hookage with a small fish. Good thing it was small cuz between fighting off the urge to pass my hand dramatically over my eyes (a la said Georgia belle) and yakking my breakfast, lunch and dinner (along with a kidney and a small hemorrhoid) on the poor unsuspecting Rock Bass, I was reduced to squealing like a preteen of the female persuasion. My fishing buddy was appalled, but not enuf that he doesn't remind me at least a few times each year, usually in the presence of comely lasses (Artists are terrible for working every angle to score with comely wenchs).

I thought I had the perfect solution when I discovered trauma shears like the EMT guys use. The darned things will cut a penny (and I proved it to 2RR's and HTHM one day on Garry's Ranger) but I later learned through trial & error (without the fish attached) that they don't do hooks, even smallish hooks like a Rock Bass would be inclined to stick me with.

A while back there was a discussion about a premium side cutter or bolt cutter that was unbeatable. I honestly did a search for the thread but to no avail. Would some kind soul please enlighten me as to the brand and perhaps where one would acquire one. I would really feel much better having one in my kit when I`m fishing.

Thanks

JF

for what sound slike infrequent use (hopefully) the CTC mini bolt cutters would work well.

Cut muskie hooks and are inexpensive .

TB

They only have to work once to be a great investment, but I have a toolbox full of sidecutters from cheapies right up to Snap-On and all have wrinkles in them from cutting wire too hard for them to handle. The EMT shears just spread open popping the object being cut at right angles to where it started and I really don`t want a hook snapping around while I`m attached to it. I wanna just cut the sucker off, and cost is not even a consideration here. I`m too wimpy to be cheap. If I can get it cut quickly I may be able to stay conscious long enuf to finish the job. :thumbsup_anim:

I`ll find the ones suggested and xperiment. If they don`t cut it they`ll be relegated to the toolbox and I`ll try something else.

JF

John, I got my Knipex from the Ring Lord out in Saskatoon a couple years back.

I like the Cobalt model with the spring in the handle as it makes them much easier to use and they'll easily cut thru any hook you'll ever use.

You may find them locally for less money but I don't know where. These guys will have them at your door in a couple days.

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplaypro...s=2947514657790

That was a fabulous response, Lew. Keep on doing it, pls.

I've seen videos of the line/loop method, but I still don't get it. How do you shield the barb with a length of line? Maybe something else is happening but I don't get it.

Edited by douG

I had these for years. Bought them from the local Home Hardware and they cut large treble hooks to chains. and I'm talking thick chains. The boltcutter is only 12 inches long. Just close your eyes when you cut hooks or anything steel cause the part you cut will fly off.

boltcutter.jpg

made in Japan

dsn

Edited by DSN

John; If you want a pair of Knipex, you could get them from the MCI chapter in Kitchener or at the Odyssey this weekend in St. Catherines. Each chapter has a few pair of these cutters for sale. I am sure some one from the KW chapter can HOOK you up (pun intended).

Cheers

Tom.

Thanks for the tip, Tom.

Any MCI members in my area who can help me out here?

JF

I had the doctor remove a hook from my left index finger last year.

The day before I was out with a client. As I was laying out rods, first thing in the morning, a big Husky Jerk snagged on a rod sleeve.

I impatiently grabbed the offending hook with the pliers, and holding the rod sleeve in the other hand, tugged...Setting the trailing hook securely into my left index finger.

The position was such that I couldn't push it through, so I cut the hook off (with Knipex) and wrapped it with a band-aid , then a couple of turns of black tape to keep it from snagging on anything. We fished for the rest of the day. When I returned home I doused the wound with Iodine and re taped it.

The next morning I had another client who was signed up for a half day lesson on bait-casting. That kept me busy until after lunch.

Around one o'clock I showed up at the Apsley Medical Centre to have the hook removed. They froze the finger and had the hook out in a couple of seconds.

The long pointed tip of a scalpel was inserted along the back of the hook, then rolled across the point...this released the skin from the barb and the hook popped right out.

One important thing I learned was that you should leave as much shank on the hook as possible. The medical staff commented that too often people cut everything off down to the skin and it makes their job much harder.

That was a fabulous response, Lew. Keep on doing it, pls.

I've seen videos of the line/loop method, but I still don't get it. How do you shield the barb with a length of line? Maybe something else is happening but I don't get it.

Knipex for sure all the way ..like cutting through butter

And Doug the key on the line trick is in the pressure (pinched downward) on the eye of the hook before/while you yank on the line .. it puts the barb in an angle that clears it from 'snagging' on the flesh on the way out ... at least that seems to be the theory ... I think the key is to do it quickly ... but most importantly to shield your (and the patient's) eyes so as not to create and even more unfortunate situation from a flying released hook

Get some Klein side cutters, blue handled.

They are designed for electricians...the blue ones will cut 3" Ardox nails with no problems.

I've used the same pair for the last 6 years in the trade...

The red handled ones are meant for soft metals only.

Depot sells them, last time I checked they were around $30

Also they have a lifetime warranty, so if the cutting edge somehow chips, they'll replace them over the counter.

They don't, however, replace them if you blow a hole through them by cutting live wires :)