First time at Dunnville = PB cat!

johnnyb

As some of you may know, my lovely Laker Jessy and I are going to have a baby…we’re a little over 3 months along, which means Jessy is finally starting to get her land legs back. Never mind morning sickness – the poor girl has barely been able to stand a short car ride for the last 12 weeks, which has meant a little less fishing for me, but even worse, fishing without her. As a rule, if she’s not around, I don’t seem to do so well…well, that was the case all winter, anyway.

With the temperature forecast to hit 20 today, and Jessy feeling good enough to get out and try her new rod and reel, I gave her the choice of perch in Orillia, or catfish in Dunnville. Apparently, size matters….we headed for Dunnville, in hopes of some big cats, and we weren’t disappointed!

First stop was Fish Masters…I’ve never actually been before, but it was super easy to find, and Steve wasted no time in getting me set up, and pointing me to “the good spot”. :thumbsup_anim:

n595006200_2876943_5049409.jpg

Now, I knew that cut sucker is the popular bait for big cats down there….but Steve has a secret recipe that makes the cut-bait a little better, so I was glad I used his stuff.  Combined with really beefy circle hooks and 2 ounce weights, it was only a matter of time….the first one came not too long after we got set up

n595006200_2876938_7779531.jpg

I noticed that while I had this one on, the guys beside us reeled one in, and a boat out in the middle was doing the same…interesting.

After lunch, Jessy’s rod starting bouncing, but not in earnest. I went over and picked it up, as the line had gone slack….and she had one on! She’s a very cautious mother-to-be, and didn’t want to walk on the rocks to reel it in…so she let me do the honours…but I made sure she held it up for the camera 

n595006200_2876940_1359737.jpg

Again, with the bites in rapid succession, as I was taking the hook out of hers, I looked up to see my rod lurching toward the water. I pulled back smooth and gentle like – MAN I love these circle hooks! – and realized I had a much bigger cat on….after a nice fight, I had my first double digit cat!

n595006200_2876941_2212990.jpg

And that was all she wrote…great weather, fantastic company, and some thrilling action! Already looking at the calendar to figure out how I can get back down to Dunnville…

circle hooks huh....they is kinda cool aint they.

Good to see ya out agian JB...once again congrats to u both.

Nice feeeshies.

The word vicariously keeps springing to mind these days...so i'm hoping you post a few more fishy reports as i will be living the "v" word as far as fishing goes.

Keep 'em coming pleeeeeze.

Well you did better than I did. :thumbsup_anim:

I took my son out there yesterday and armed with Fishmasters cut bait and a handful of suggested spots we failed to even get one hit. We saw a number of boats up and down the river who were seemingly doing as well as us. My son had a great time and wants to go back next week and I think it's a good idea.

I even had a number of OFC boat and car decals with me in case I saw any OFC'ers, but alas I did not.

Spiel -- I can't believe we didn't see you! We were on the "right" side of the breakwater, fishing from shore...don't know if you saw us.

Cliff -- check your inbox...pic with logo should be there :lol:

Simon -- don't worry, pal...I'll get out as much as I can...the wife likes your reports, so, maybe I can play the sympathy card..."honey, I'm doing it for LimeyAngler...." :rolleyes:

Edited by johnnyb

Spiel -- I can't believe we didn't see you! We were on the "right" side of the breakwater, fishing from shore...don't know if you saw us.

I did see you only I didn't know it was you....LOL

If you saw this boat it was me and the van was in the lot with Loomis decals on the windows and an OFC decal on the back. ;)

gallery_9_87_15620.jpg

gallery_9_87_32869.jpg

To bad I missed yous, would love to have spent a few moments yacking.

As some of you may know, my lovely Laker Jessy and I are going to have a baby…we’re a little over 3 months along, which means Jessy is finally starting to get her land legs back. Never mind morning sickness – the poor girl has barely been able to stand a short car ride for the last 12 weeks, which has meant a little less fishing for me, but even worse, fishing without her. As a rule, if she’s not around, I don’t seem to do so well…well, that was the case all winter, anyway.

Hmmmm. She doesn't look all that damaged to me. Would that all our wimmen had suffered the trials of pregnancy lookin' that good. Some of us may have not even taken up fishing.

JF