Carp are starting to bite

iCarp

I'm been fortunate to get a few sessions in this week. Despite the cold and wind, the carp were co-operating Tuesday evening, with five caught in about two hours, my first really good session this year. Wednesday evening I got three in the net, the fourth and final carp refusing to stay hooked. I have to admit that the carp didn't really run much, only getting exciting when they got close to shore. For some reason, most of them were drop back bites.

Come Thursday morning I decided to have another try. After a few tentative takes, I finally got into a solid one- a scrappy fish that zigged, zagged, and rolled on the surface. It turned out to be my first mirror carp of the year. It was followed about an hour later by a fine and feisty common. The morning finished off with the almost mandatory screaming alarm followed by lost fish.

I'm still getting the hang of co-ordinating carp, me, and camera timer, so most of the photos I took were fairly useless. Here are a couple of photos of the mirror and one fish each from Tuesday and Thursday. All were caught on tutti frutti flavoured giant corn and matching method balls. I hope that you all get a chance to enjoy this warm spell and get out for some carp fishing this weekend.

P4160002.JPG

P4140002.JPG

P4160001.JPG

P4160004.JPG

Edited by iCarp

Yup they really are an awesome fish to fish for in my opinion....Was fishing the pier this morning here in dover and saw a huge big ole erie carp swimming around the top surface of the water...Looked like it was sick and seemed to have some kind of growths all over its back...Could not get a picture cuz i left my bloody memory card in my laptop..Duhh!!

Nice fish by the way...

Nauti... :thumbsup_anim:

" tutti frutti flavoured giant corn and matching method balls" ?? Are we still talking fishing? :lol:

Nice fish. I'll be out there chasing the carp around soon enough. My goal is to catch one on my fly rod this year. :canadian:

Hi Victor. Great to see you again. Yes, I talked to Justin this morning and he told me that all was quiet. They seemed to be doing better today and I might toddle down later to give it another go. Sorry the photos of the mirror aren't better- it was a beautiful fish.

Osmond- carp season is year round. Why not come out and catch a couple some time?

Yup they really are an awesome fish to fish for in my opinion....Was fishing the pier this morning here in dover and saw a huge big ole erie carp swimming around the top surface of the water...Looked like it was sick and seemed to have some kind of growths all over its back...Could not get a picture cuz i left my bloody memory card in my laptop..Duhh!!

Nice fish by the way...

Nauti... :thumbsup_anim:

Middle of the afternoon on a hot day in mid-summer I see all kinds of big ole carp swimming on the surface here in town. I doubt they're all sick. Might be they just wanna tan.

JF

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Was at the mouth of Mayhew Ck. in Trenton on Wednesday and there was no less than 50 carp sitting just off the mouth. Don't know if that helps anyone but I did manage to test out my polarizing filter.

post-4477-1240155148_thumb.jpg

ben306- I'm sure you'll love it- they're plentiful, big, and a bit naive compared with the U.K. There is a truly world class carp fishery in this area.

fireball- best of luck with the fly rod. I look forward to hearing how it goes. I was a devoted flyfisher for years but have yet to try to catch a carp that way. Maybe this year. By the way, there's a great article on flyfishing the Great Lakes tributaries for carp in the last issue of In-Fisherman.

Half the pressure , you have got to be kidding , more like 1/100th. of the pressure they get elsewhere.

Even better for me then!! :) I've fished matches of upto a 1000 anglers (nationals) with 10 metres between pegs and only 14metres of canal in front of you, thats pressure haha

Im really looking forward to the different way of fishing :)

Even better for me then!! :) I've fished matches of upto a 1000 anglers (nationals) with 10 metres between pegs and only 14metres of canal in front of you, thats pressure haha

Im really looking forward to the different way of fishing :)

And it truly is different. Get your rig in the water and you're likely to get a fish, ben306. I landed 15 yesterday- all sleek, clean, and scrappy. Of course, there are times when you can't buy a bite, but when it's on there's no time for bedchairs and no need for elaborate rigs and elegant presentations. Matches here, though, can be challenging and, of course, the peg you draw can make a world of difference. Hope to see you bankside this year.