My First Problem With Rapala

MCTFisher9120

I bought some X-Raps over the winter and when Pike was still open up on my trip to Kingston I tried one out. Going through the tackle box today putting away some new stuff i noticed that there is some rust like stuff on the bait...i take it out and there is a orange like liquid inside my XR10 XRap! and i cant even find a hole in it...the ironic thing is i only used for for maybe 10 casts and its full of water. Maybe i got a deep diving jerk bait now but i'm still pissed off that my nice little x-rap is going to be EXTRA heavy :angry: I guess i can salvage the hooks if it doesnt work alright, this bait will just have a "crayfish" glow to it.

Any Thought's or similar problems?

dry your baits before you store them for an extended period of time, this will happen to any bait, water+metal = rust

Ya but you don't understand there is water inside my bait man...like the rust is on the inside..

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Fishermen don't have problems with Raps, but fish sure do.

If you didn't pop a rock with it or close a lid on it I'm sure that you'll receive satisfaction from a great company. Give them a chance to make it right.

Don't give mess to the Rapala Guy who used his knife to undress those thugs in the alley.

I have a feeling that you're going to like Rapala Company even more after them.you contact

I learned about that orange stuff the hard way by leaving the bait I fished with in the summer in my trunk during winter, big mistake! Everything gets orange. If there is even a bit of water you'll get the orange, I don't think Rapala is to blame here (I could be wrong) because its the actual material and what it is exposed to that creates that orange. I don't think the brand matters, just the materials and what they are exposed to. Would like to hear what Rapala has to say about it though...

"orange like liquid inside my XR10 XRap"

Do you think it is rust off of the hooks? Or is it just water that got inside the bait and changed the colour?

Try some AC shinners if you want to see a bait get water inside of it they are the best.

Ya but you don't understand there is water inside my bait man...like the rust is on the inside..

I understand completely, but the baits still need to be dried. X-raps are two pieces of plastic moulded together. The trebles Are attached to a wire on the inside of the plastic along with ball bearings for weight and suspension. X-raps, I use a lot, and they do tend to leak occasionally. If the water gets inside, you need to make sure you're leaving them somewhere that they can drain and dry. Inside a box wont help.

that has happened to a few of my xraps, the brown in the water on the inside is the ball bearings on the inside rusting. the seal on the joint on the molds werent very good or you bounced it off a rock or something. ive used the ones with the water in it and they still work fine.

Sounds like a bad seal IMO. I bet they will just send you a new one. A large company with few customer complaints usually works in your favor. I once wrote Mars co an email asking why my bag of M&M's had only 1 red one in it (I was curious to find out what they would say :P). They sent me a coupon for a free bag. Although, they never answered my question.

Anyway, now I have to go check all of my X-Raps and since the first couple I bought worked great for me I have a ton of them.....

Back in 1987 i had 4 Rapala's that i used for a variety of fishing, mainly Salmon and trout on the downriggers. They were very very beaten up and had caught a ton of fish. Most of there paint was gone and they had teeth marks galour. A friend told me to take a picture and send to them. I did this and said how good the lures were and how well they held up. I thought nothing more of it until 5 months later. I received a box from Rapala, it contained 24 brand new varies colour raps and a letter from the company. They are incredible to deal with. I still only use there lures mainly.

Couple years back Mr. Eh and I were fishing Pigeon Lake and I had a musky pull a 10" Believer apart, so I just took a photograph of the 2 pieces and emailed it to Drifter Tackle with a letter of explanation.

Within days a package arrived in the mail with not only a replacement for the $25 lure, but also another $25 lure to go along with it as a show of great customer support.

Good companies back their products and look after customers when a problem arises and I'm sure Rapala will do the same if they determine the problem is a manufacturing defect.

Cnv1495.jpg

Edited by lew

Where did you buy it? A place like Canadian Tire would likely just take it back.

Hell I bashed a berkely frenzy popper off a ceeement dock thinger and I took it back to CT.

They gave me a new one

NICE

They were a$$ O's to me. I tried that but i needed me receit and the case it came in...i had nothing but the lure...still waiting on what Rapala has to say.

They were a$$ O's to me. I tried that but i needed me receit

So because a store asks for a receipt, their a$$ O's ?? :dunno:

With that attitude your gonna have a tough time getting anywhere with anyone.

Not sure where you planned on shipping the lure to but the Canadian distribution centre is in Oshawa.

Normark Inc.

1350 Phillip Murray Avenue

Oshawa

Ontario L1J 6Z9

Canada

Phone +1 905 571 3001

Fax +1 905 433 0111

In the past I have sent in defective lures where the plastic lips fell off - They replaced them no charge. My friends and I also did a few batch returns of rusty lures and the good folks at Normark gave us brand spanking new lures FOR FREE. Great customer service IMO.

They were a$$ O's to me. I tried that but i needed me receit and the case it came in...i had nothing but the lure...still waiting on what Rapala has to say.

I wouldn't have even bothered trying to bring it back without a receipt..... Can't blame CT for not taking it back.

You could have bought it anywhere.

well if i had a rapala with water in it ...that would be a new one for me ...cuz i own at least 100 that are surrounded by water for eternity...i wonder if rap rep would care to take my complaint ...lol...

Simply buy some cod liver oil and dip your lures in it after use :thumbsup_anim: ...... the reason i say cod liver oil is :blahblah1: ...it doesnt hurt to use it prior to use of the lure either. :clapping::Gonefishing: ...