bye bye cormorant

chukkk

Shots will ring out on Middle Island as early as Friday as Parks Canada officials begin culling double-crested cormorants for a second year, according to an animal rights advocate.

Parks officials were unavailable for comment Monday because of the Easter holiday, but bird advocates who've fought the action say they have been told the park plans to cull six to eight days over four weeks.

About 211 cormorants were killed in last year’s cull on the Lake Erie island, said Julie Woodyer, a representative with Cormorant Defenders International, a group that opposes culling.

“We met with (Parks Canada) recently to organize being out there to observe (the culling) and they said, ‘oh by the way we are going to kill 3,000 to 4,000 (birds) over eight days.’” Woodyer said.

“I think that’s why they only got 211,” she said. “We remain unsure about how they can kill thousands without significant injures to other birds. It’s also a big disturbance. They said they aren’t going to deviate from humane procedures.”

Efforts by animal rights group Zoocheck Canada Inc. to get a court injunction to stop bird culling at Middle Island, which is part of Point Pelee National Park, failed a year ago.

Last spring, Parks Canada said it planned to reduce the colony from 4,026 nests to between 438 and 876 over five years.

http://www.windsorstar.com/Cormorant+cull+...2853/story.html

Cormorant Defenders International, honestly, are they serious?

I really need to meet one of these activists and see how they can convince me Cormorant is good for our ecosystem.

I'm sure the folks on this board will be donating a boatload of cash to the CDI...

I think they should take these people that are in favour of them and leave them on the islands they're destroying.

Here in Kingston for those that know the area, the Brothers Islands are terrible and very little tree life is left. In the summer, you can't get close due to the stench, bugs and water contanimation. 2 Islands have been completey destroyed and a 3rd, maybe 1/4 left.

It's not right that you can't moore there anymore and enjoy the water and scenery.

Grrrrrrrr...... :angry:

Cheers,

Paul

People don't always understand that certain plants and critters are introduced to an area where they don't have natural predators to keep their numbers down, so man has to step up and do the deed. And there are some bleeding hearts who don't really care what happens as long as the little critters are preserved from harm.

As someone suggested, perhaps they need to live on a small island with a flock of the durned things for a while. I wonder if folks like that mind having mice in their cupboards.

JF

Action needs to be taken across the entire province, and they should do it on a large scale. Unfortunately there are too many eco extremists making alot of noise and the gutless politicians don't stand up to them to do what's really necessary to addresss the cormorant issue.

Guest gbfisher
Greenpeace should worry if they start harassing our bass boats

I have heard of muskie guides putting hits out people....Greenpeace doesn't stand a chance

:lol::D;)

Greenpeace should worry if they start harassing our bass boats

I have heard of muskie guides putting hits out people....Greenpeace doesn't stand a chance

So long as we don't end up with sunken Rainbow Warriors cluttering up our waterways.

JF

right near me. i hope to see the cormorants put in check. they have already killed the erie shoals. young of the year bass have been wiped out. ask any c.o. in southern ontario. ohio has been pleading also. problems are other nesting birds are being disturbed.they should also introduce skunks, and racoons. they would get fat.

Around Kingston, in the summer I hear a few boats going close to the Brothers Islands...a lot of gun fire and the boats taking off quickly. It's unfortunate that people are needing to take matters into they're own hands.

Their waste is what I think keeps closing the only Kingston public beach; Rotary Park. When we get a South wind for a couple of days, the crap from these islands blow towards land. You can be sured it closes due to contanimated water shortly there after.

15 million pounds of fish were consumed by commerants last year in lake erie alone,,,thats a threat that was never there before,,,not to mention the damage that they create on land,,,i won't lose any sleep if they are culled,,,

I have been surprised that some native natural predators that may eat cormorant eggs or cormorants themselves have not been introduced, or simply having it decalred as a pest.

outdoorguy61

I've heard someone say the same thing.....but they were wanting to throw some racoons on the islands to control.

The introduction of another species to help kill off others hasn't worked to well though, IMHO. Look at the intro of the fischers. Damn things got my cat last year in Amhestview and many others too.

Cheers