Epic Steelhead...nothing but net!

Bly

I was all pumped to participate in the Cobourg fish lift this year. Was a little disappointed it was canceled last weekend, but after keeping in touch with Ron, I was happy to hear that it had been re-scheduled for today. Cliff unfortunately couldn't make it out because of prior commitments, so I headed there by myself...with waders and big net at the ready!

Left the house bright and early and met up with the organizers at the designated spot. Saw Ron right away and then listened for instructions. The general plan was that we'd create a wall of nets and push our way under a bridge right up to a spot just below the dam. The idea here was to force the fish upstream, and then trap them within an enclosed area.

Here's a pic of fellow OFNer JeffBornFishin as he made his way to the action....

02fishlift.jpg

Here is where we were pushing the fish...you'll notice posts in the foreground. After the wall of nets forced the fish into this area, a net was put across the creek to keep them from running downstream.

01fishlift.jpg

Here we are under bridge...the wall of nets. We were supposed to try to keep the nets taut so that all we did was force them upstream. You can see that the water gets pretty deep towards the far side of this picture!

03fishlift.jpg

No matter how hard we tried, working against the strong current as one unit, it was inevitable that the odd fish was netted on the way upstream.

04fishlift.jpg

Releasing the fish ahead of us...

05fishlift.jpg

Jeff...thanks for taking pictures...here we are getting closer to our goal.

06fishlift.jpg

Getting ready to put the fence across the creek...

07fishlift.jpg

So, here's where the fun was to take place...just imagine...a few hundred steelhead in this one area!

08fishlift.jpg

First, the ladies and kids had a chance to get out there to net some fish...soon after, everyone with a net headed out to catch as many as we could.

09fishlift.jpg

Once you had a fish netted, you were to take it over holding pens....Here's Jeff working hard!

11fishlift.jpg

Here's a video of some of the action...showing everyone working and where the fish were taken to....

Some of the fish tried in vain to make it back downstream and they'd get stopped by the fence. Because the fence was bowed in a little, you had to reach in and grab them by the tail.

Another video of the holding pens...

Once some measurements and stats were taken, the fish were put in baskets like this for the trip to the top side of the dam.

12fishlift.jpg

Some fish headed to the top side to head to their spawning grounds...

13fishlift.jpg

As Ron mentioned earlier, 204 fish were taken to the top side of this dam...to head to spawning grounds.

I had a great time out there today. It's a lot of work...working against the current like that takes a lot out of you, but it feels really good to be a part of something like this to help out in sustaining the steelhead populations. I took a few spills in the cold water today, but it didn't matter. The waders held up really well, and I kept mostly dry throughout the day. It's amazing just how warm you stay when you are constantly working and moving around.

I want to thank Ron, for the invitation to help out in this cause. I also wanted to thank Jeff for taking pretty much all the pictures and video that I have of this event. I met some great people today and I cannot express how wonderful it was to see so many people of different ages working hard to help out.

Ron...keep me up to date on when these fish lifts occur every year. I'd love to help out again...

Maybe next time, Cliff can just stop being a lazy :asshat: and he'll join in the fun! :D

Jeff was just bouncing when he got back from the event. Sounds like everyone had a blast - sorry I missed it!

In retrospect, I really wish we'd spent the time picking up a new net at the Sportsmen's show. Our trusty old one got demolished our last day on the water last year. Silly me, thinking we wouldn't need a new one until the marina reopens in May. I've learned my lesson. :lol:

Thanks for loaning Jeff your camera, Carole!

Great post Bly!

I am sure glad some of the pics turned out so you could use them.

Was a fun day :thumbsup_anim:

Jeff,

Great getting to see and chat with you again and thanks so much for all your great camera work and kind words!! I am going to get the rest of the photos uploaded if you want any in larger sizes just let me know....will send a link via PM.

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Wilmont on opening day lol

Yup yup,

Was indeed a great day. Once my daughter is done her Barrel Racing tomorrow, I will post the pictures of the water levels from the weekend before. That foot bridge you walked under has 8 inches of water over top!

Cheers, Ron...

Edited by Ron

Yup yup,

Was indeed a great day. Once my daughter is done her Barrel Racing tomorrow, I will post the pictures of the water levels from the weekend before. That foot bridge you walked under has 8 inches of water over top!

Cheers, Ron...

Would love to see those pictures, when you have the time of course :) Thanks again

Very cool recounting of the events Carole. That looks like something I'd be into helping out with next year for sure.

Good job everyone :thumbsup_anim:

Joey

Definitely worth the trip. I was speaking with a few of the organizers and they were saying that they would really like to get more women and young people involved. They have done a wonderful job creating a friendly atmosphere and everyone that wants to help gets a chance, it was really fun to watch the young children with the nets.

Thanks for letting me know about the Sun piece :)

Only 204 this year???

I remember, not too many years back when I helped out, there would be 350+ fish on a bad day.

Stoty, I am sure a more qualified person can address this but my understanding is that 200 was the target number, there were more fish :)

Stoty, I am sure a more qualified person can address this but my understanding is that 200 was the target number, there were more fish

Oh really? wow.

If memory serves me correctly..I remember a few years they were disappointed to not reach the 350 mark.

Did you happen to notice if the golf course was open? lol

My dad's buddy owns the course, and I want to get out!

Okay, educate me, why no fish ladder? would`nt that be less intrusive. MNR? Building ladders at these dams, isn't that part of the whole reason we pay for the licensing? I`m just wondering. Seriously, I don't know much about all this, but would like to know more.

Okay, educate me, why no fish ladder? would`nt that be less intrusive. MNR? Building ladders at these dams, isn't that part of the whole reason we pay for the licensing? I`m just wondering. Seriously, I don't know much about all this, but would like to know more.

The folks running the event told me a fish ladder is planned for this location "at some point in the future".

Yeah :unsure:

I can't exactly say what the local residents said I spoke with :rolleyes: