french river?

pizzaboy

Hi everyone, was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on the french river? I am heading up sometime in June, and would like to get into some walleye, pike, and possibly a muskie or 2(if the season is open when i go) Was wondering if any 1 part of the river is better than the other(upper, middle, lower)? Any certain bays or areas to try? Any suggestions on a good housekeeping lodge? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Pizzaboy

Anthony__s_French_River_walleye_Oct_2005.JPGI've fished the French River a couple of times during the past few years...once in May and once in June We stayed at the French River Lodge for 3-4 days each time. The lodge is located on an island and they pick you up by boat at a marina where you park. Electricity on the island was provided by a generator which meant lights out at 11 pm and back on at 6 am. The housekeeping cabins that we stayed in were old and very basic, but clean. The boats ran well one time and not so well the second time. Overall, it was a decent value because the package price was fairly low. The scenery is spectacular and quiet with very few cottages and boats around.

In terms of the fishing, we caught a few pike but didn't catch a lot of pickeral. I have to admit that we weren't too knowledgable about where and how to catch the pickeral. In fact, the best luck we had was right off the dock at the lodge. Caught a 15 lb gar pike on a minnow and a 12 lb walleye on a fat rap.

Overall, we enjoyed fishing this part of the French River and staying at the lodge. If you are comfortable with roughing it for a couple of days, then the price is right.

On the other side of the spectrum I have stayed several times at the Sand Beach Lodge in the middle French.

Fishing was good each time and the lodge is more than you expect. They definitely run a 4 star operation.

It's a American Plan only but the food is to die for. The boats and motors are TOP notch as they purchase new outboards each year replacing last years fleet. They even have Indian guides but I never used one. Here's their site in case you are interested.

http://www.sandbeachlodge.com/

BTW the northern I am holding in my aviator was caught there last June.

Edited by Billy Bob

Pizzaboy:

I've fished different parts of the French over the years. Being from the states, its usually only one or two weeks a year. To this point, I've fished the lower French.

We used to go to Bear's Den Lodge back in the early 90's and a time to to later in the 90's. They changed their policy about pets, so we quit going there. Had it not been for the policy change, I'm sure we'd still be going there. Yakpiker mentioned the French River Lodge, and Bear's Den is on the way to FRL - you'll boat right past it. BDL will pick up up at Harley Bay Marina, just as FRL will do. I've never stayed at FRL, but we've stopped there a few times for a snack while we're out and about. The largest pike I ever caught was while staying at BDL at 37 1/2 inches. Just a day after I caught this one, my step-son landed another not too far away that was 37". Both if these were caught along a series of islands as you come into Wahnapatea Bay, which you would come through on the way to FRL. BDL may be a little more expensive, but we really like the secluded spot they were in and we became great Friends with the owners. Actually, the owner's home is not more than 1/2 hour from where we live. Art Barefoot, the owner, caught a huge musky not too far from camp and has it mounted in the lodge. Quite the impressive fish. I'm sure either place could arrange a guide and, if you are not familiar with the waters, that would be a good idea to get you started. We used a lot of larger spinners (both pike caught on large spinners) and different types of spoons. Did pretty well on pike. When we were staying at BDL, we were not into musky and Wallye at that time. Musky are there, You have a chance for a trophy, but I don't think you have the numbers of fish on the French. I'd like to go back some day. Hartley Bay, where you would launch just just past the French River Trading Post and about 7 miles or so back a dirt road. The folks at Hartley Bay launch the boat for you and I think there is a fee for parking while you are there. They have HK and American plans. Even the HK plans, just give them a notice and you're welcome to come for dinner. Years back, I believe the meals were about 20.00 each.

Recent years, we've been making a two-week trek to the French in September. Staying one week at Rainbow camp on the north channel and also at Wolseley Bay. I've found the prices to be reasonable at both places to be reasonable and Rainbow Camp offers a 20% discount off season rates, which for that time of year, I believe begin after Labour Day. Both of these Lodges are just off Rt. 64. Rt. 64 turns off 69 North of the French River itself about 10 miles or so. I believe Rt. 64 heads toward Sturgeon Falls. Just a few miles before Noelville, Rt. 528 cuts off from Rt. 64. About 100 meters after turning onto 528, is North Channel Road - to Rainbow Camp. Continue on 528, clear to the end, and you come to Wolseley Bay.

Rainbow Camp, on the North Channel is kinda locked in with rapids ton both sides of the camp. I believe you have about 5 miles of water on both sides of the camp. It's quiet and away from the roads, so that's why my wife likes it there. I've caught two musky and both were caught here while trolling. Actually it was here when I accidentally caught my first, that I caught the musky bug. I think one was 29" and the other 43". There are a couple spots within a minute of the camp where I've seem a big girl and tried numerous times to try to get her to bite, but she's got a bad case of lock jaw. I'll be back there again this September for another shot. I've have follows from nice sized muskies at different points while we're there. We do catch a fair number of pike and probably caught my second largest pike in one the bays that is accessible from the camp. Lots of good potential, but you don't have boat access to a large open expanse of water. But, there is enough there to keep me busy and moving around for a week. They only offer housekeeping here and there is no restaurant at the lodge.

Wolseley Bay is a good priced and well kept lodge. We've stayed there about 4 of 5 times. We rent cabin 1 which is closest to the docks. The bad part of this cabin is you're right next to the road, so you hear the traffic and the school bus that turns around right there. Cabins are basic and well kept, I believe the owner is trying to remodel a cabin or two each year, so they're getting a lot nicer. Wolseley Lodge has both HK and American plans. Nice restaurant on site and the guests may make reservations for supper. Each Friday night, during the season, they offer a Friday Evening Buffet with Ham, Beef, Turkey, and a number of other hot dishes. All you can eat for about 16.00. Not a bad deal at all and they have a nice spread. There's lots of accessible water right out from camp. You can get yourself out there and be a long time in seeing another boat. We've had pretty good luck with pike and my wife actually latched onto her first musky while trolling out from the Lodge. I won't go into the conversation that occurred when the fish snapped the line, but I'll bet it was a 40" give/take class fish. I have a number of spots where I''ve seen and raised some big girls, so I know they are in there.

Don't forget about the West Arm of Nipissing, just a little further up RT. 64 past Monetville. OFC has a GTG each June and they had one in September last year. Who knows, maybe there will be another this September and you'll be able to drop by. I've stayed at Lakair a few times on the West Arm at Lakair, and this is where we have our annual GTG. Great lodge and equally matched owners. We have a great time there and you have miles and miles and miles of water to fish. Walleye just a stones throw from the dock. Find yourself a nice weed bed and you can get into the pike. Couple years ago I just fished from the dock and landed 2 or 3 pike in a short period of time. Consider Lakair as well, many on this board go there and really do well with the Walleyes.

Where ever you go, make sure you review and understand the regs for the areas you'll be fishing. Many areas have slot limits that you'll have to be aware of. Once you settle in on a couple choices, let us know. Maybe someone can help you out with some additional information. Stop at the French River trading post and pick up a map of the Fench River. Can't miss it .. nice bright red cover.

I see this is your first post, so please don't be a stranger. There's a great bunch of people on this board who would enjoy helping you out, including me. So stick around, get involved, and as always, let us know how you did. We love pics.

Best of luck to ya.

Rich

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I will research the places you all recommended, and let you know how I make out. Rich, I to am in the states, Rochester n.y. I don't get to many fishing trips in, as I am self employed (pizzeria with lots of hours) and 5 kids that keep us chasing them everywhere, especially during hockey season!! My folks have a cottage on one of the Finger lakes(Honeoye), so if anyone ever needs info. on that lake I will be glad to help. I also take the kids out in Lake Ontario out of the Genesee River for the salmon run in early fall, so if anyone is ever planning a trip there, I can try to update you how the fishing is, as a buddy of mine runs charters out of the river. Thanks again for all the help everyone! Bill

I've never made it to Rochester, but I've been on either side of you heading North. We cross the Peace Bridge on our way up to the French and to the East of you at the 1,000 Islands when we head up to the Rideau System, about an hour north of Gananoque. We do quite well for bass up there and we've been going to the same place for 7 or so years now. Schedules got hosed last year, so we didn't make it. This September, after spending one week on the French at Rainsbow, we're heading back east to Rideau Ferry and meet up with my dad / step-mom for a week.

My wife and I both really enjoy the scenery of the French River area and the mostly unspoiled beauty of the Canadian Shield. Catching fish, for us, is just a bonus. Good luck on your quest and hopefuly some others will chime in with their thoughts. It can be a bit overwhelming as choices abound. Best of luck to ya.

I've fished the lower French for many years (friends cottage in Hartley bay). It is tough because it changes a lot. Best advice is hire a guide ... we used to use Johny Green. It can save the trip from being skunk fest...

• 2 weeks later...

i am also planning a trip to the French River for May 29-June ...Staying at Wolesely's Lodge.

This would be my first time fishing there. From what i've heard theres some good spots right off the dock there in the bay. Anybody know any other spots around there i should check out? or maybe i should avoid?

also, what methods/baits work best for that time of year? Late spring

We will be mostly fishing for Pike with some pickerel also for shore lunches.

Does anybody know where i can get a map of the lake? i know i can get one when i get there, but id like to have one prior so i can make a game plan of the spots i want to fish.

thanks

Hey Boss;

Harold, the owner, should give you a photocopy of a topo map with some of the 'hot spots' for various species, which include areas for pike and walleye. Never fished for Walleye there, so I can't help much with that. Find weeds - find pike. Harald can mark some of the safer routes to venture further out from the bay. I will say that once you get out there a ways, the landmarks are few and far between. Lots of channels, channels to other channels, and eventually it all looks the same.

Couple places. Please note that I am there in latter September, so things may be a bit different than when you're going.

1). As soon as you come out from the docks, fish along the left shore line - which is right there at Totem Point Lodge. My wife had something fairly nice size blow up on a Suick the moment the thing hit the water. I've just run up along the short line, and picked up quote a few pike. The further up around there you go, you'll get into more weeds.

2)., On up, along the left-hand side, you'll see some rocks sticking out of the water and just behind them, there is a waterway into a back bay. Supposed to be good pike fishing back in there. When we are there, the waterway is pretty well choked with weeds, so we never made it back. Maybe you'll give it a shot. Right there, when the channel heads into that bay can get pretty weedy and on upon that side.

3). Continue on the it opens up pretty wide along the left hand side ands all along the back there, are some good weed-beds.

We've picked up pike in all these locations and some other areas further on out. With Harold's map, and a map of the French River you can pick up at the trading post, you should be in good shape. The main channel out through the bay, from Wolseley Lodge is pretty clear of rocks. Just don't get too close the shoreline and when rounding the points, be careful and give a little wider berth.

We won't be hitting Wolseley this year due to an opportunity to meet up with my Dad over on the Rideau in September. We'll be on the North Channel at Rainbow Camp our first week in September up there - and you'll pass the North Channel Road shortly after turning off Rt 64 onto Rt. 528. Our second week will be over on the Rideau. Oh yeah .. be sure to check out the Friday Night Buffet at the Lodge.... can't beat it for the price and you'll won't leave hungry.

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to it Boss. I may be heading up to the Rideau system next week. Long drive for a few days, but my father is up there now and thought we'd spend a little time together fishing for crappie and pike. Too dang bad bass don't come in for another few weeks or so - but I'll get them when I return to the Rideau in September.

Post a lot of pics and make me homesick will ya.

Best of luck.

Boss, any reports from the weekend? I just booked a cottage at wolseley lodge for June 20th thru the 23rd. Shorter trip then I was hoping for, but a few days are better then none. Was thinking of fishing the Wolseley area for the first few days, then pulling the boat and driving to Hartley Bay to try the lower section for a day. Any thoughts on that anyone? Anyone know how long it would take to drive from Wolseley to Hartley Bay? Is it worth the drive? Any fishing tips for either area would be appreciated.(pike, muskie, walleye) Thanks

Your drive will be in the area of an hour, to Hartley Bay. 1/2 hour to the Hartley bay turn off and another roughly 1/2 hour to the launch.

HH

PS... you might consider using the search function on this site... quite a few members here have posted about the French.

Your drive will be in the area of an hour, to Hartley Bay. 1/2 hour to the Hartley bay turn off and another roughly 1/2 hour to the launch.

HH

PS... you might consider using the search function on this site... quite a few members here have posted about the French.

Time sounds pretty close - maybe a tad less. Of course, I'm going on my memory (ha ha). Once you turn off Rt. 69 and head back Hartley Bay Road, it is only paved for a short distance. I was thinking it was about 7 miles of dirt road then to the marina. It's kinda twisting and turning going back and many places were like driving over a washboard, so you'll want to take it slow and easy going back there. Now, this was a number of years ago, so maybe things have improved a bit.

Once you get to the marina, they will back your trailer down the launch for you and I typically gave the guy a tip for doing it. At least, that is what they did back when I launched from there. Probably some kind of fee for parking there for the day.

• 1 year later...

Any idea how bad the bugs might be at that time? Should I have a head net?

there will be mosquitoes out at night but you probably won't encounter very many during the day as you will probably be out on the water. If you stop for a shorelunch though be prepared to battle hordes of horseflies. So in that case you may want head gear but overall its probably not necassary