Boat Licence Question HELP!!!

nancur373

As some of you know I bought an old tinny last year. Don't have info on the last offical owner. It has number on the bow but the lady I bought it from said her husband just painted them on to look good. Doing some research I found there is a lot of bull I need to go through to licence a boat without ownership. I have a hand written bill of sale from the lady I bought it from but I don't know if that will help. BUT...as far as I can tell from the Service Canada website it only needs to be licenced if 10hp or more. Am I safe with just my 9.9? I'd really like to take it to Dunnville tomorrow. Heres a link to the FAQ Service Canada

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/boats/index.shtml#3

Question 3

What types of boats do I need to license?

A licence or registration is mandatory for all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft.

Owners of pleasure craft of all tonnages and lengths may choose to license them under the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. Alternatively, pleasure craft owners may choose to register their vessels in the Canadian Register of Vessels.

Thanks guys and gals.

Curt

You do not need to register/license your boat if it has less than 10 hp.

Up in the NWT I don't think they even care if it's over as I have seen alot of higher hp boats with no registration #'s on them.

If your boat has registration #'s already on it I wouldn't worry either way.

I have never been asked for my paper registration or ownership of my boat and during the first 10 years of ownership I was checked almost daily while salmon and trout fishing out of Port Credit. I got checked 6 times in one week one summer. :rolleyes:

Get a can of paint remover and "wash" those number off the bow... then you're good to go! Failure to produce a vessel license, which I've been asked for last three Falls on GBay.. is a $300 fine. No point giving them a starting point with numbers up there if you don't need them at all when using a 9.9 !

Edited by irishfield

Curt, with any motor with less than 10HP (7.5KW), no, you don't need a number. I would however, paint over those bogus numbers.

There's a difference between boat registration and licensing. You'll probably never need to register your boat. You will however, need to license your boat should you have a motor of 10HP or greater( that's why motors are labeled 9.9 by the way). Boat licensing in Canada has nothing to do with ownership/title. It is just a means of identification for search and rescue. Licensing takes but a few minutes at any of the more than 300 Service Canada offices across the country and it's free.

If you need any other info on this, PM me. I might be able to help.

boat registration is free, but , here in ontario the province is going to chase you to pay sales tax on the purchase.\

a number of years ago I was given 2 fourteen foot boats that were scrap as far as the owner was concerned. but I saw that they could be saved and he gave them to me. One was already registered and I sent those numbers in with a change of ownership and got the registration put in my name. the other was never registered and I submitted a new form for it. it too was approved and numbers and registration papers were issued to me.

two years after that the province sent me a letter requesting payment of sales tax for the first boat, the one with the numbers. I went back to the original owner and had him sign a form saying no money changed hands and the boats were headed to the dump beefore I got them.

It took several months of letters back and forth before the province was convinced the deal was as stated and no pst was to be paid.

two years after that they came after me for the pst on the second boat. I had to do the same dog and pony show all over again so what I'm telling you is get something signed that states what you did or didn't pay for the boat and keep it safe because it may take a year or two but they will try to get your money for pst.

And when you pay any taxes make sure you keep your recites. I paid provincial taxes on my boat and trailer when I got my trailer plate. Two years later they came after me for the taxes. Without the recite I would have had to pay again. I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

Rick