Planer board users

Cudz

When using a planer board, how do I know when I get a strike? I know the line will release but will the board begin to trac in a different manner or will the fish start to pull it under? Sorry if this is a basic question, but I am buying a planer board and want to make sure I know how to use it before I hit the water.

I have another question but I will wait to get a reply on this one before I ask it.

The board will tend to drop behind the boat... opposed to being out from the boat. If the clip does not release.

G

Ok but what happens if it does release like it is supposed to? Does it just start moving around or does it get pulled under?

If you are useing in-line planer boards, they will tend to go to the back and behind the boat. If you are useing planer boards attached to a mast, the boards will stay where they are tracking and your main line to your rod will be attached the fish; YOU HOPE!!!. If they don't release you will quite often see the planer board line with a bow in it leading towards the back of the boat.

Hope that helps some. It all comes with experience. Good Luck

Cheers Tom.

the board will not go under as flotation foam is added... unless you have a HUGE fish on.. it will move behind the boat as you bring in your fish

G

Ok I usnderstand. I will definately be able to tell when I have a fish on.

Myu second question, of to which you have eluded, is what happens to fish that are too small to break the line free from the release. I remember this being a problem for me 23 years ago when I began fishing simcoe for lakers. We would set the release too hard and end up dragging a small laker for 45 mins at time. Ended up drowning the poor fish.

I guess you just have to check the board regularly to make sure you haven't caught a random perch.

If you are useing in-line planer boards, they will tend to go to the back and behind the boat. If you are useing planer boards attached to a mast, the boards will stay where they are tracking and your main line to your rod will be attached the fish; YOU HOPE!!!. If they don't release you will quite often see the planer board line with a bow in it leading towards the back of the boat.

Hope that helps some. It all comes with experience. Good Luck

Cheers Tom.

Yeah I just bought a couple of planer boards that attach to the line. Thanks I think i have good understanding. It will be more obvious when I get my first fish on one I suspect.

you should still see the board acting "different" this comes with experience... hell I am still learning! LOL... if you know you have a fish on typically.. but if the clip has not released a good swift hookset should release it from the clip and save you're arm from trying to fight the board as well..

Good luck and I hope I was able to offer a bit of advice.

G

you should still see the board acting "different" this comes with experience... hell I am still learning! LOL... if you know you have a fish on typically.. but if the clip has not released a good swift hookset should release it from the clip and save you're arm from trying to fight the board as well..

Good luck and I hope I was able to offer a bit of advice.

G

THanks for the advice. I know that hookset to release. There are times on a downrigger that Iknow I have a fish and have to do the 'hookset release' to get it off the downrigger.

When it is released the planer board slides down the line in front of the lure. Do you guys used a swivel or bead to stop it from making its way all the way down to the board or do you use double relalese and remove it from the line while reeling fish in?(I have seen this on TV in quinte where fishing buddy removes planer board from line part way through fight).

I like to have the board stay attached and reel up to the board and take it off.Also I like to run "tattle flags".If you have them set right you can see if you get a small fish or even pick up a weed.I'm not sure if you can get them for the boards you bought but I would say they are worth the money if you can.Even without them you can tell fairly easy that you have a fish on.Just watch them closely for the first bit and take note of were they are runing compared to the boat.

If you catch a big sheepshead you can watch them skip across the water!

Using a planer board for crankbaits, you set the 'clicker' on the reel and have the drag set such that it just holds the board and line out. When a fish strikes, IF it is big enough you will hear the clicker on the reel and see the board being pulled back - FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should have the board clip set tight and the board doesn't come off with a fish, you reel the board in, remove it and fight the fish.

It's a REAL pain if you have to pull the lines in and chase a planer board :angry:

As Duber said, you can get tattle flag kits and they'll tell you if there is a smaller fish or weeds on the line. You can make them yourself, buy some springs at CTC, a nylon bushing and a piece of stainless wire.

They work GREAT and allow the lines to be away from the boat - ergo More fish :rolleyes:

Cheers

Edited by superdad

What superdad said. We do it the same way, set the releases so they don't release when a fish hits on our inlines - waaay to much work to turn around and get your board. Simply reel board in, have your buddy unclip it boatside and continue fighting fish.

Think of teh inline board as a bobber.. it will behave differently if you have a fish on.

Using a planer board for crankbaits, you set the 'clicker' on the reel and have the drag set such that it just holds the board and line out. When a fish strikes, IF it is big enough you will hear the clicker on the reel and see the board being pulled back - FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should have the board clip set tight and the board doesn't come off with a fish, you reel the board in, remove it and fight the fish.

It's a REAL pain if you have to pull the lines in and chase a planer board :angry:

As Duber said, you can get tattle flag kits and they'll tell you if there is a smaller fish or weeds on the line. You can make them yourself, buy some springs at CTC, a nylon bushing and a piece of stainless wire.

They work GREAT and allow the lines to be away from the boat - ergo More fish :rolleyes:

Cheers

There's the best answer you've got so far. You definitely don't want your inline planar boards to release from your line until you reel them to the boat (with fish still on the line) and take them off yourself and continue fighting the fish.

What superdad said. We do it the same way, set the releases so they don't release when a fish hits on our inlines - waaay to much work to turn around and get your board. Simply reel board in, have your buddy unclip it boatside and continue fighting fish.

Think of teh inline board as a bobber.. it will behave differently if you have a fish on.

More good advice. Raf's the one who taught me to run boards.

Less then 2 weeks now raf and we'll be out there, hopefully watching boards behave 'differently'. :worthy:

I bought one as well this spring hoping for shoal trolled lakers on Simcoe next month.The one I got was the BigJon sideliner reverasable.So what I was going to do was use a second release clip off the rear swivel on the board still running the line thru the swivel as backup and have that clip tight and the front release clip set for a hit.The front clip releases, board moves behind the boat signifying a hit or fish on either way , the rear clip holds the board in place till I reel it up and remove.By doing that I'm not chasing a floating board and it is well away from the leader connection and fish.How does that sound for a set up.

Kerry

I have been using the offshore boards for years now and i like them just fine, one trick that i have been using is removing the rear clip and installing a big cross-lock snap swivel i then run a bead 4-5 ft from my crankbait, this way i can pop the board off the line and just fight the fish, the board slides down to the bead as i reel it in and net the fish no chasing of the board required.

don't worry you'll get to know when you have a fish on, remember one of the first times me and fishindevil used planers in quinte i was watching the boards shawn was driving and my board kept diving to the middle of the boat, after scatching our heads for a couple minutes thought must of caught some weeds or debris it turns out the debris was a 5lb 11oz walleye