Elora/Fergus: Grand River.

Pavel

Try to get the book “Fly Fishing the Grand River: The angler's vest pocket guide” - Spiral-bound

by Jane E. Rutherford (Author), Ian D. Martin

It appears to be out of print - it is "temporary unavailable at Chapters.

But, I think that you would have a good chance of getting a copy - like a fly shop, maybe a small book store or from a web site address.

First do a web search on the title of the book - "Fly Fishing the Grand River" and see what you will be able to find.

Specifically - Grand River Troutfitters might have a copy, Grand River Guides, Grindstone Angling, Wilson’s in Toronto. Check with the "friends of the Grand River" - they sold it at one time.

The above book will not tell you how to tie but it will tell you what is THERE to hatch. In some cases it will show you the fly to use for the hatch that is taking place.

I have no favourites because there are so many good flies.

carp-starter

I like gold & black Panther Martin spinners.

The gold blade + black body with the little green spots have worked pretty good for me. I like that fact that I can slow my retrieve down with the PM's and not have the spinner sink to the bottom (Like the blue fox do)

Jeez I grew up in Fergus. Close to the hydo line pool, which is a no kill zone. I go back every couple of years and fish the Elora stretch with my brother, who still lives in Elora. 2 Inches of dew worm on any kind of sharp hook you can find, does the job. I'm thinkin you guys are turning it into WAY TO MUCH WORK!!!! I'm sure Kyle M...my dad's old neighbor out in West Gary would agree.

Caddis
Mayfly
Stonefly
Buggers

imgrandhatchchart.gif

Dan

Thanks dannyboy for the hatch chart. When I read your post, you reminded me that I have 2 scanners - one 3 in 1 and the other a flatbed scanner. Until I read your post, it did not click that I could scan the 2 hatch charts that are in the above book - “Fly Fishing the Grand River: The angler's vest pocket guide”.

So, here are the 2 hatch charts out of that book.

carp-starter

Edited: I had to take the images out.. the copyright holder complained. T.J.

LOL...some of us actually "like" to make it hard ;)

Browns on the fly are a blast....so there! :P

Haven't seen Kyle around here in a while?

Must have joined the AFNC :w00t:

Kyle's old man and mine are neighbors. The last I heard he was out in Alberta living in God's country, with no internet access.

BTW I was just yanking everyone's chain about making the Brown fishing too hard. Getting out for a day on the water is what it's all about. The rest is just details.

Good fishing to all :Gonefishing: