Question for the Board

eyefish

The difference would be if you already have two on the stringer you have no wiggle room incase you catch a bleeder. So yes you could release your dead bleeder but if you only had one fish on your stringer you could add that bleeder to your stringer and not waste a fish or be unspotsman like by releasing a fish that is for sure going to die.

Slot limits and seasons force us to release dead fish all the time. If you want to make an argument based on ethics, it is a tough road. Some would question the ethics of fishing during the spawn. Some see no problem with it.

I would imagine portable livewells will be very popular very soon.

The difference would be if you already have two on the stringer you have no wiggle room incase you catch a bleeder. So yes you could release your dead bleeder but if you only had one fish on your stringer you could add that bleeder to your stringer and not waste a fish or be unspotsman like by releasing a fish that is for sure going to die.

Then you stop fishing? Or do you carry on and possibly get a third bleeder.....then what?

Hello

Well I have always wondered this very question... Yesterday I was talking to MITCH PHINNLEY from the Durham REGION MNR CO... and i asked him this very question.

His reponse is You are allowed to keep fishiing even if you have obtained your daily speices limit, in this case 2 stream - rainbow trout, you are still allowed to obtain your other limits of trout ie Browns, specks etc etc with the daily limit of 5 trout total, if you obtain this limitof trout, you are required to release all and any other trout back into the water in a timely matter... therefore allowed too keep fishing with a catch and release only

Hope this helps

If you would like Mitch's phone number it can be provided on request

Dave

Guest gbfisher

Love how some people think they understand their own ethics and give reasons for doing things the way they do. :rolleyes: .............and expect others to do the same... :lol:

Sounds like a crazy mixed up organization to me. One that all hunters and fishermen despise. :blahblah1::rolleyes:

I don't think it is un-ethical at all to keep fishing once you have hit (and kept) your limit. Sure there may be problems with catching subsequent bleeders, and it is a sad situation, but certainly no angler with a mind for conservation would feel good about this.

In my opinion once you purchase your license whether it be sport or conservation, your are purchasing your right to fish any species (with possibly a few exceptions I can't say I've completely examined the regs 100%). I don't think it is unethical to fish for a zero possesion limit, ie sturgeon, or muskie on a conservation license, as long as it's C&R, as these are the terms of the agreement you signed when you bought your license. Poaching comes in the effect when you are fishing out of bounds (in sanctuaries), out of season, or retaining fish in the slot or above and beyond your limit.

I have not had many encounters with CO's but I believe them to be reasonable people. I.E. I would be shocked if I was charged for taking a picture of a giant muskie, in no possesion lakes, or even fishing with only my conservation license. I would have no intention on keeping the fish at all, and would know that going in, sure the CO might, but if the stuck around 2 mins, they would see the fish put back in the water, and should ease any concerns they may have.

well in your eyes it could be unethical to keep fishing because 'ethics" is a personal thing and you should live by your ethics, just don't try to impose your moral on others, they have their own ethics to live by

but the law clearly states that you can keep fishing, so if you feel it's ok to keep fishing then keep fishing

I do with the MNR cos could get it together and learn to read, so we would have one law and one interpretation

Guest steel'n'esox

Seen a guy do that on the ganny caught his 2 fish, kept on fishing said he was now after browns, until he got ridiculed and harrassed off the river never to be seen again. Seem some people are always trying to bend the rules which the mnr sets out which at times are not too clear and concise

Seen a guy do that on the ganny caught his 2 fish, kept on fishing said he was now after browns, until he got ridiculed and harrassed off the river never to be seen again. Seem some people are always trying to bend the rules which the mnr sets out which at times are not too clear and concise

No one was bending any rule. No where does it state you have to stop fishing when you have a limit. No where does it state you cannot fish for fish with zero possession limits. No where does it state you cannot fish for slot limit fish. If they are in season and in a legal place you can fish. Period.

It is not implied or stated. The MNR does not set the rules, Parliament does. The Act(s) is the rules, the MNR publications are summaries and are NOT the rules...they are the Cole's Notes of the laws.

No one was bending any rule. No where does it state you have to stop fishing when you have a limit. No where does it state you cannot fish for fish with zero possession limits. No where does it state you cannot fish for slot limit fish. If they are in season and in a legal place you can fish. Period.

It is not implied or stated. The MNR does not set the rules, Parliament does. The Act(s) is the rules, the MNR publications are summaries and are NOT the rules...they are the Cole's Notes of the laws.

Rick, I was wondering if you would be able to post a weblink to the Act(s) you are referring to so we can have a glance at them. I'm on your side, and even from the mnr publications I can't find anything that states any different than what you just said.

Guest gbfisher

"No one was bending any rule. No where does it state you have to stop fishing when you have a limit. No where does it state you cannot fish for fish with zero possession limits. No where does it state you cannot fish for slot limit fish. If they are in season and in a legal place you can fish. Period.

It is not implied or stated. The MNR does not set the rules, Parliament does. The Act(s) is the rules, the MNR publications are summaries and are NOT the rules...they are the Cole's Notes of the laws."

Who's gonna say it.............................................Broken record!............... :D

Edited by gbfisher

I thought it was the day we were all together... guess it was just me and Glen. Asked the CO on Nippissing the same question last summer and he told me it was what they were being preached out of Peterborough.

was that CO's name Dave Kunkle? by any means?