Dog help?

Angler16

Hey all, alright so im going to be getting a dog this summer for sure debated on getting a Norwich terrier,long coated Chihuahua or something else thats small and has almost no shedding. The thing i need now is to learn how to train the dog young so its not pissing on my floor or ripping up stuff. So i was wondering i have watched a few videos on youtube and such learning how to train it are there are tips anyone has for me when it comes to crate training my dog and training it not to pee? Any help would be appriciated

Thanks

L-A

If your looking for a small dog with NO shedding whatsoever, look at miniature schnauzers. They have great tempraments. there hypoallergenic or somthing like that (i cant spell). this means they dont shed. Look into crate training, thats how we trained our dog, and she hasen't messed on the floor since she was a puppy.theres some great stuff on google and youtube.

Good luck!, marcus

I got a Chesapeake Bay Retriever in November and we taught him to ring a bell on the doorknob to let us know when he has to go out, it works great. As for ripping up stuff always take away whatever you see them chewing on and replace with what is acceptable. For crate training start it as soon as you get the dog and never go to it if it starts crying when its in the crate, if you do he'll just think he will get what he wants if he starts crying. Also try watching The Dog Whisperer he has alot of great information and techniques that I have used and they really work. Hope some of this helps.

There are no simple answers, every dog is different!

There is so much to learn for both you and the pup. # 1 a puppy shouldn't be expected to "hold it" for more than one hour for each month of age ie. if you get your pup at 7 weeks old (optimum) you should be ready to let it out about every two hours (yes, even in the middle of the night) that doesn't mean it won't go longer than two hours but you shouldn't expect it to.

You should probably try to get a book or two on how to raise/train your pup and read them BEFORE you get a dog, you may decide you just aren't ready to get one yet and it is better to know before you get one than after. Go to your local animal shelter they will probably be able to give you some really good information on raising a puppy.

At about 5-6 months old you should probably start taking your dog to obedience classes, it is good for the dog to spend time with other dogs and it will help you learn how to get the best out of your relationship with your dog.

Well done Cliff, good post. The only thing I would add to that is that with a pup they are going to push boundaries to see what they can get away with. So make sure that you are firm with the dog. When you are training the pup it is important that you establish yourself as the Alpha. When it does something bad grab it by the snout and give a good deep loud growling no. Do that everytime, cosistency and repitition is the most important thing when training a dog.

Lots of good advice here.I will add a couple of things .Enroll your pup in a basic obedience as early as they will allow.The class will train you as well as the dog.Crate training will make it much easier to have a balanced pup.the secret to haveing a well trained dog is to never let it fail.Always look for the next thing it is going to do and correct the instant it starts to do it.With a small pup they wiil have to go usually right after eating or drinking.Watch it closely and put it outside and praise it when it goes.If you are one step ahead of the dog the amount of drama and yelling drops.The better you learn your dogs mannerisms the easier training will be.I tied my pup to my waist with a 20ft lead for 3 weeks when I got her.I learnes a lot about her and she learned a lot about me.She is usually within 20 ft of me to this day.If you want to avoid the training all together just steal Spiels dog!

Joe

My Grandfather bought a dog and it pissed on the floor he threw it out the kitchen window. The second and third time it did this he also threw it out the window after it pissed on the floor. On the fourth day the dog pissed on the floor and jumped out the window by itself. Now thats old time dog training.

lots of good info here, and it's really good that you are thinking of this now, before you get your pup. Let me comment on some things I've learned over the years.

1. crate train for sure. not only will the pup soon accept the crate as his sanctuary, it will be better for his mental development, and God forbid, should the pup ever be injured and require confinement through the healing process you won't have a problem.

2. A pup has limited bladder control. It irks me when I hear people talk about scolding a pup that has soiled the carpet. They can't help themselves until about 16 weeks. In that training period remember to take him out after every meal and drink, each time he wakes, before and after any extended indoor play, and every hour at first except in the night. Limit his water intake in the eveniong but you'll still need to take him out in the middle of the night. Accidents will happen, be prepared for them, use a good neutralizing cleaning agent as soon as possible after an accident.

3. Begin basic commands as soon as possible, short intervals but multiple times/day. These should include sit, stay, come, a release command, down, and so on. Reward compliance with small treats and praise, ignore non compliance. Standardize a hand signal to use with the verbal command. Getting everyone in the house to standardize the command language is a must, so agree up front.

4. Pups need sleep, let them have it

5. Avoid scolding, it's far easier to get a dog what you want it to do with treats and praise then to tell it what not to do.

6. Get him around all kinds of sounds, other people, other dogs and so on.

7. Enroll in obedience training, it helps socialize the dog being around other dogs.