Chrome Jack Fest ~ Fun Day On The River

solopaddler

Yesterday BillM and I ventured forth to a local trib in search of unpressured fish.

Seems recently I've been faced with either high and dirty water or low and gin clear, no in between.

Thursday was a nice change, the water was nice and high with a perfect green tint to it. Upstream the pools were filled with fish visibly spawning (left them alone). Downstream near the lake in the slower estuary water we encountered pod after pod of fresh, aggresive bright chrome fish.

Almost all of them were immature jacks in the 3-4lb range. An absolute ton of fun to catch as they were by far the hardest fighting fish so far this spring. Pure muscle, just quivering with energy and almost impossible to hold when landed...

Besides innumerable jacks there were a few larger specimens that surprised us now and again...

While fresh roe was pretty hard to beat this type of water is perfect for jigs and flies:

SteelheadMarch262009013.jpg

If any of you old timers have fished Cobourg over the years you should know Henry Lee. He's been fishing there since time immemorial, usually throwing his very cool hand carved plugs.

Years ago he tied me a handful of flies that have proven to be deadly fished under a float in slower pools.

This is one I've got left and it bested several bright fish yesterday:

SteelheadMarch262009015.jpg

I hesitate to post all the pic's 'cause most of the fish looked virtually identical :D .

To avoid being redundant here's just a smattering including a few action shots of both Bill and myself:

SteelheadMarch262009006.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009007.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009010.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009011.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009012.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009017.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009018.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009020.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009023.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009026.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009027.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009030-1.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009032.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009036.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009038.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009039.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009042.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009043.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009045.jpg

SteelheadMarch262009047.jpg

Cheers, Mike

Awesome day as usual Mike!! I am still looking forward to the vis clearing up on the first river we hit.

Those l ittle jacks had as much energy as the early fall steelies I nailed in the Notty, completely non-stop!!!

Good luck in Michigan dude, can't wait for the report! I'm sure you and Ferg will slam them.

I almost regret PM'ng u Wednesday :blink: .... I knew I was missing out. Unfortunately I get owned by my desk on Thursday's !!! Anyhow sweet report...Those jacks are a blast, especially on the initial hook set... Let me know about what we discussed so I can make plans for the weekend.

Bill...Get back to the notty for a couple weeks.... You need a taste of stealheading reality like the rest of us :D

Good job boyz....

Dave, it's funny you mention that. I stopped and fished a Lake O trib on the way home just for the hell of it. Hooked into an acrobatic 10-12lb bullet on my first drift in this really nice pool. Had a good 1-2 min battle before the Raven flouro decided to come undone and off he was :)

You guys are killin me, Id run into you guys on this side of the lake one of these days if i was ever able to get out during the week lol. Would be nice to meet a couple steelhead folk from the board. Then you could show me once and for all how you guys fish that slack water so productively. A PM and 2 days notice would suffice lol :dunno: