Kelso!

endless

Maybe someone can help me. I'm trying to track down a list of what might be hinding in Kelso.

I've heard at some point there were stocked trout in there, I'd assume they were rainbows.

Some say there's bass in there, I'd assume largemouth?

Seems to be a consensus that there's panfish. Does that include crappie, or just sunfish, rock bass, bluegills, etc?

Don't suppose there's any perch or pike in there?

Anyone have any experiences with fishing in there?

Thanks

I've gone fishin' @ Kelso a couple times (by the beach, to the FAR LEFT of the beach there are sparse weed beds and stuff there) anyway, to sum everything up - I've only caught Panfish...I don't remember ever catching any Crappie.. or even some Rock-Bass... As far as PIKE are concerned, I highly doubt it.

Anyone else fished there before? I'd be interested to know if anything else was caught there (aside from what I mentioned)...

I used to fish it quite a bit from the late 70's to the late 80's and the target was rainbows with the occasionall brown. The rainbows were stocked and the browns were native. Never did I see or hear of any speckles (brook trout) being stocked. There may still be remnants of the native specks that inhabit(ed) the upper Sixteen Mile Creek but I doubt you'd find them in the resevoir. I believe the stocking ended some time ago.

Yes of course assorted panfish are there and the only bass we encountered were smallmouth which for the most part were quite hefty.

I've been out to Kelso in both my kayak and my Sportspal. There are largemouth bass and perch for sure as well as any left over rainbows from previous years stocking. I don't believe it is stocked every year anymore. It is a very noisy place to fish due to the 401 and all the trucks that are howling down the highway. If you have an ipod you'll be glad you brought it.

1127107yak.jpg

There's some good sized bucket mouths in there and I have caught 5 between 2 and 3 pounds there. The trout can be caught closer to the waterfall where the deepest water is. Lots of dink perch in there too.

They did stock it back in the mid 80's; they use to have a trout derby there every spring on opening weekend. There also use to be native browns, rainbow and the odd spec in the creek, last time I fished the creek (about 10 years ago) we caught quite a few dink perch. I'd never caught a perch in the creek in ten years of fishing it until then. There use to be a few places you could access the creek down stream of the dam but it is now all private or so over fished it isn't worth wasting your time.

• 4 weeks later...

Kelso is operated by Halton Conservation Authority and the chair is B. Penman and he has no use for fishing.

They have not put fish in the water for more than (10) years. They also take the lake down far too much each fall for fish to do well.

They also have had the Town of Milton install so many no parking signs on all roads near Kelso, Hilton Falls.

and Twelve and Sixteen mile creeks that this should be called eviro sign dumping all to get more bucks at

Conservation park gates.

The only fishing left now is the stcking by the Sportsman Club in Milton Mill pond. These guys are the best and

raise all the money themself. The Town of Milton gets a ton of money each year from Mohawk and Mr. Penmam

is also a councilor. They just don't care about the fishing opportunity they could provide when the Sportsmen Club does it for free.

Great spring water flows into Kelso and this water shed is not being managed to provide any fishing at Kelso.

That being said, you will catch perch. sunfish. catfish. bass, and suckers all season long.

Again however these fish are all very small because of lake management.

"Brown" trout are not native to North American. I believe they were introduced from Germany in the 1800's......

To make it simple I was just trying to convey they were not "annually" or "recently" stocked like the rainbows.

Since they have not stocked them in those waters in several decades I just went with the term native, thus not needing to explain how the browns got there. And yes some of our now "naturalized" (Thanks Burtess ;) ) browns came from Germany but not all of them.

History of Brown Trout Stocking in Ontario

Kelso is operated by Halton Conservation Authority and the chair is B. Penman and he has no use for fishing.

They have not put fish in the water for more than (10) years. They also take the lake down far too much each fall for fish to do well.

They also have had the Town of Milton install so many no parking signs on all roads near Kelso, Hilton Falls.

and Twelve and Sixteen mile creeks that this should be called eviro sign dumping all to get more bucks at

Conservation park gates.

The only fishing left now is the stcking by the Sportsman Club in Milton Mill pond. These guys are the best and

raise all the money themself. The Town of Milton gets a ton of money each year from Mohawk and Mr. Penmam

is also a councilor. They just don't care about the fishing opportunity they could provide when the Sportsmen Club does it for free.

Great spring water flows into Kelso and this water shed is not being managed to provide any fishing at Kelso.

That being said, you will catch perch. sunfish. catfish. bass, and suckers all season long.

That is indeed truly sad!

I went out with 3 other friends and fished some good looking water for literally hours. Between the 4 of us we landed 3 perch, the largest of which was about 4" long.

If what rdj says is true, that would explain why poaching pike and bass at Mountsberg (also a Halton park) is not prosecuted. I always wondered how the poachers got away with it when a C.O. or park staff could write a dozen tickets a day, but instead turn a blind eye. The only fear these poachers have is of getting ticketed for trespassing on the train tracks. If you don't believe me, just take a drive out there this Saturday and count how many people are fishing, and keepng fish, a week before pike season opens.

If what rdj says is true, that would explain why poaching pike and bass at Mountsberg (also a Halton park) is not prosecuted. I always wondered how the poachers got away with it when a C.O. or park staff could write a dozen tickets a day, but instead turn a blind eye. The only fear these poachers have is of getting ticketed for trespassing on the train tracks. If you don't believe me, just take a drive out there this Saturday and count how many people are fishing, and keepng fish, a week before pike season opens.

Every time I head out there with the dog, there's at least 2-3 people out there any time of any day. Everyone keeping everything, it's absolutely insane.