Buying a used truck (N/F)

trapshooter

I am going to be in Southern Ontario (London area) in April and plan to buy a used truck. I would be willing to travel within the Windsor to Toronto corridor to find one.

Does anyone know of a place that has a good selection of used trucks? So far the best selection I've found is haldimand motors in Cayuga. I've searched autotrader but am hesitant about some of the dealers that advertise there.

I'm looking for something in the 2003 to 2005 range, probably domestic because they are cheaper. Ford or GMC - not dodge. Without starting a fight, any info/insight would be appreciated. It needs to have extended cab, 4x4, and preferably long box.

Any other advice is welcomed too.

Thanks.

Edited by BenBeattie

Gee I would have Thought Northern Ont would be the place to buy a truck !

I would start logging some serious computer time and check out all the gm/ford dealers as well as any used dealers on line you can find .But you probably already thought of that .

good luck

TB

I have been searching on-line but was hoping someone would know of a place that has a large inventory of used trucks. I want to be able to go somewhere and see/drive multiple vehicles.

There isn't that large of a selection up here really, certainly not in Sioux Lookout. Winnipeg is 5 hrs away and I'm going to be down south in April anyhow, so I thought I'd buy down there and drive it back up here. Maybe I'll start looking in Winnipeg?? hmmmm.

Try 'Autohound ', cool search engine .

May help you find a delaer /location that has a high inventory of used trucks

I drive by Broadway Auto sales in Bradford often ,they always have quite a few trucks . not sure of thier reputation.

Barrie Ford boasts being the # 1 truck dealer may have a selction of used.

TB

Gee I would have Thought Northern Ont would be the place to buy a truck !

I would start logging some serious computer time and check out all the gm/ford dealers as well as any used dealers on line you can find .But you probably already thought of that .

good luck

TB

the trucks up north get used as trucks,the southern trucks are by far a much safer bet

Learn from my stupidity.....go into any deal assuming you'll have to take it back 10x for warranty work.

I've lost count how many times I've had to take our truck back to Boyer's down in Pickering (about an hour away). It's gotta be hitting for double digits. For months, every time they fixed something, their guys would break something else while it was on the hoist, and it'd have to go back after they ordered parts. When I tried to get the mess cleaned up by another dealership that I know can actually fix things, Boyers told GM that these were pre-sales defects (not), so GM would force me to go back to them. Nice little scheme they've figured out to bleed the warranty company. :wallbash:

Anyway, point I'm trying to make - driving the truck 90 minutes home from the dealer is peanuts. Taking the truck back to correct 1 issue is 6 hours of driving (2 round trips - 1 for diagnosis, 1 for repair after parts arrive), which costs you gas and your hourly labour rate. When you're calculating whether a vehicle is a deal or not, factor in these hidden warranty costs - just in case.

Not sure about Broadway. Was looking at a Suburban at auction last year, ownership said it'd been owned by them for the better part of a year and an awful lot of kms. I called to ask them what they knew about the truck, and they swore up and down they'd never heard of it. After I hung up, I checked out their website. There the truck was, still listed as for sale by them, at 50% more than it was worth - even though it'd been sitting offsite at the auction lot for weeks.

Sorry to be such a doom & gloom, just trying to help you have a more fun time with your new toy. Good luck!!

i went through the whole process for the past couple of weeks, couldn't find what i was looking for around sudbury, so i planned a road trip around southern ontario, got some leads from some mebers here and googled every dealer and carlot i could find and emailed a whack of them for their inventory, that's you're best bet, some respond quickly with detailed listings and pics, some don't answer back or are vague, (if ya cant be honest with me here i'm not gonna bother stopping in, there's plenty of lots out there that WANT to sell you a vehicle and are desperate for your business)

anyway my trip plan was to start east of sudbury to north bay then down hwy 17 toward ottawa then to the east and back up thru barrie, had a couple of days off and was willing to use them, but............ thankfully i found what i was looking for in north bay and the trip ended there,

i am the new to me owner of a 2006 5.4L ford xlt 4x4 supercrew in MINT condition with 31000 miles, yes miles shes a yankee truck, was the easiest and best experiance i've had with a dealer, willing to deal on the price and when all was said and done added a block heater and filled her up and threw in some oil changes (like i'm gonna go to north bay for an oil change), a few hours into my trip and it was over, picked it up on friday

anyways good luck and like i said email the dealers out there, atleast to see who'll treat you wth respect

you might try calling the Ford and Gm dealers in the area you are going(maybe even a week before ) , they take trade-ins everyday and most of the time they send them to a wholesaler who sells them to the smaller dealers. Also know your prices, one dealer was trying to sell me a truck that was being traded in and told me it was a good deal and when I got home and checked the Trader to compare prices it wasn't a bargain.

All I know is ...

Earl Earl Earl

Earl Earl Earl

Earl Ireland...He got trucks!

705-295-2277

Not in your corridor, but close in Peterborough.

If he hasn't a truck to your liking...he can sell you one of his standerbreds...

BTW Jer...did you find Costco in P'Boro ?...South of Lansdown on the Parkway...

If he hasn't a truck to your liking...he can sell you one of his standerbreds...

BTW Jer...did you find Costco in P'Boro ?...South of Lansdown on the Parkway...

I know where the Costco is...I'm just too cheap to buy a membership.